Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New To Forum - Anonymous question - regarding your place of residence

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #88476
March 16, 2010
1 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2010, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Okay, I know in NY you can not remain anonymous and they will post your name and city where you are from.

My question is - What if you change your address on your drivers license to a PO BOX that is located in another town (don't you have to show two forms of ID when claiming).  How will the lottery officals not accept this.  I have a friend that has a PO Box on her license. 

Also in NY, are you required to have your picture yaken/participate in the press conference.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2010, 12:00 am - IP Logged

I don't know what the New York Lottery's policy is, but this is what the back of Hoosier Lottery tickets say:

The holder of this ticket agrees to participate in interviews with Lottery public relations personnel And the media and grants permission to use his/her name, photograph, comments and image in Lottery sponsored advertising and promotions.

I have don't have a problem with it really. I want my money in the bank as fast as possible! I can get a lawyer and financial advisor afterwords! And to all the beggars: NO, NO, AND NO.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2010, 5:33 am - IP Logged

If you don't participate in a news conference what are they going to do?

And if you do, what if you say something negative?
      Yeah, the State of NY is trying to take all my money in taxes!

My image with a middle finger sticking up?

It would be no problem. Gimme all that money and you can use my picture all you want!

I would have a nice sized piece of property. Hang out on the edge of it in the 20 degree weather, tresspassors  will be shot!

MarkP

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2010, 8:47 am - IP Logged

A few years ago here in Ky a woman who hit the Power Ball was at the headquarters and said she would see everyone when she got back and left..I have no idea if she ever came back?..She must have had eveything settled before she left..What I'd do is move to the next town over and buy new friends..

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          CA
          United States
          Member #57222
          December 23, 2007
          587 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2010, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Okay, I know in NY you can not remain anonymous and they will post your name and city where you are from.

My question is - What if you change your address on your drivers license to a PO BOX that is located in another town (don't you have to show two forms of ID when claiming).  How will the lottery officals not accept this.  I have a friend that has a PO Box on her license. 

Also in NY, are you required to have your picture yaken/participate in the press conference.

Welcome to LP Sassys,

Well theres no law saying you cant  put on a wig, sunglasses and dress in clothing that would in no way identify you, And I agree, change your voice during the press conference and do a lot of mubbling.  reporters HATE that.  After the press conference, take a long vacation in a nearby motel.   After they wire the money into your bank account  move to the undisclosed new city.

New York
            United States
            Member #75974
            June 16, 2009
            1 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2010, 3:02 am - IP Logged

good complements about peoples and thei attitudes,,,,,,,,,,

me too agree with your openions......

Harlan5

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3501 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2010, 3:09 am - IP Logged

I'm reasonably certain that the USPO won't let you live in a post office box, and the NY DMV knows what your friend's real address is. You can use one as your legal mailing address, but it's definitely not the address the lottery will use in releasing information about what town you live in. If you live in West Podunk and don't want the lottery to tell people that's where you live you'll have to actually move somewhere else. So far I haven't needed to find out, but I'm guessing that if you live in West Podunk on  March 31st , move to East Podunk on April 1st, and then claim a lotttery prize on April 2nd the lottery will release your address as East Podunk, without caring (or investigating) when you  moved there or where you moved from. I'll note that putting an incorrect address on the claim form may constitute fraud, forgery, and/or perjury.

I'll also note that your name and where you bought the ticket may be more important to any strangers who try to find you. If your reported address is far from where the ticket was sold I'd look in both places if I wanted to find you. If your name is Bob Smith strangers will have a hard time figuring out which Bob Smith if you live in NYC,  but if the ticket was sold in Upper West Podunk and there's a Bob Smith in the phone book for Podunk Center I'd put him on my list of suspects.

The only problem with not being anonymous from the start is having your picture published (ever see Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman?) and having people who already know you know you won. Assuming you plan on enjoying the money you won, it's going to be hard to keep it a secret, anyway.

The good news is that no matter what your name is, it's fairly easy to disappear after the press conference. Even if your name is Ebenezer Wilfred Scrooge the 4th, there's no reason it has to be connected to addresses on anything other than your DMV record, your tax returns and your social security info. You'll need a legal address for those, but there's nothing to say you have to actually spend much time there. Just about every thing else can use an address for a lawyer or other representative. Most of the other things won't need your real name, either.

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                700 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2010, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

In Louisiana, a few people have claimed big jackpots using LLCs or Trusts, and have their attorney claim the prize, do the press conference, etc.

If you're concerned about your ID having your address on it, get a passports.  Passports don't have your address on them, and are much harder to trace the address on than are driver's licenses.  They are more expensive and take a little more time to get, but they don't have an address on them and are good for 10 years.

If you get a PO Box, you are required to provide ID and give your home address.  The same goes with a private mail center, like UPS Store.  I don't know how well they check this, but it is required nonetheless. 

This topic has been discussed here many times.  There are also numerous books out there on the subject of living privately/anonymously.  It's getting harder to do in this database nation of ours, but it is possible.  Reading one of those might be what you need to do if you want to know about it.

ON another note, welcome to LotteryPost!

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2010, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm reasonably certain that the USPO won't let you live in a post office box, and the NY DMV knows what your friend's real address is. You can use one as your legal mailing address, but it's definitely not the address the lottery will use in releasing information about what town you live in. If you live in West Podunk and don't want the lottery to tell people that's where you live you'll have to actually move somewhere else. So far I haven't needed to find out, but I'm guessing that if you live in West Podunk on  March 31st , move to East Podunk on April 1st, and then claim a lotttery prize on April 2nd the lottery will release your address as East Podunk, without caring (or investigating) when you  moved there or where you moved from. I'll note that putting an incorrect address on the claim form may constitute fraud, forgery, and/or perjury.

I'll also note that your name and where you bought the ticket may be more important to any strangers who try to find you. If your reported address is far from where the ticket was sold I'd look in both places if I wanted to find you. If your name is Bob Smith strangers will have a hard time figuring out which Bob Smith if you live in NYC,  but if the ticket was sold in Upper West Podunk and there's a Bob Smith in the phone book for Podunk Center I'd put him on my list of suspects.

The only problem with not being anonymous from the start is having your picture published (ever see Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman?) and having people who already know you know you won. Assuming you plan on enjoying the money you won, it's going to be hard to keep it a secret, anyway.

The good news is that no matter what your name is, it's fairly easy to disappear after the press conference. Even if your name is Ebenezer Wilfred Scrooge the 4th, there's no reason it has to be connected to addresses on anything other than your DMV record, your tax returns and your social security info. You'll need a legal address for those, but there's nothing to say you have to actually spend much time there. Just about every thing else can use an address for a lawyer or other representative. Most of the other things won't need your real name, either.

West Podonk???!!! I like the name of that place....Hahhahahhhhaaaa I am LMNHOOOOOO...West Podonk!!!!!LOLROFLHAhhahhhhhaaaa oh, oh mygoodness too funnnyyyyBig SmileROFL LOLI wonder what South Podonk would look like...HahayGreen laugh

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina