Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Best Wheel?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
Member #88435
March 16, 2010
397 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2010, 3:38 am - IP Logged

Is there such a thing as a good wheel...recently I have noticed even if I did pick all the right numbers...the wheels don't line them up close enough to where they would get a good hit.

Wheeling seems to be my biggest problem...at this point.

$1,000,000

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2010, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Wheels do what they are designed to do.  Unless they are full wheels, you have to decide the minimum match you want if all the winning numbers are in the wheel and hope that you do better than the minimum match.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7325 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2010, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Is there such a thing as a good wheel...recently I have noticed even if I did pick all the right numbers...the wheels don't line them up close enough to where they would get a good hit.

As RJ said, wheels are only as good at the numbers you enter and the problem with most abbreviated wheels is the cost of play exceeds win guarantee. A pick-5 13 number 3if3 wheel costs $34 and most pick-5 games only pay $10 for matching 3 numbers. There will be some 2 number matches too, but that only slightly offsets the cost of the wheel. Granted the idea is to match 4 or 5 and get a 4 number match or match all 5 and win the jackpot but those 34 combos only represent 2.6% of all the combos (1287) using 13 numbers.

You won't get a match 3 guarantee by matching 3 numbers using a 3if4 abbreviated wheel but the 2 number matches will be about the same. When you consider the return by matching 3 numbers versus the of cost of play, the 3if4 wheel would be better. Matching 3 numbers cuts the cost from $34 to $24 versus the $16 cost of the 3if4 wheel.

The real key to wheels is the order in which the numbers are entered and it's simple to examine any wheel and determine which numbers are paired together the most. Filters can be used with abbreviated wheels to avoid playing all even or odd numbers (all high and low numbers too) by checking the order the numbers are entered. If you have a system that consistently picks 2 or 3 numbers with an occasional 4 out of say 13 numbers than you'll have to find the best 13 number wheel.

For pick-5 games there is a 2if5 abbreviated wheel with 25 combinations using all 39 numbers. The only thing that prevents any player from matching 4 or 5 numbers is the order in which they enter the numbers. $25 a play is steep for a game drawn 6 or 7 nights a week, but if a system could be developed simply for choosing the order, huge profits could be made.

The same is true using all 56 Mega Millions numbers in a 46 combo 2if5 abbreviated wheel.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2010, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I have Gail Howards book "Lotto Winning Wheels for Powerball and MegaMillions". I tried many times to use this book for Little Lotto by simply eliminating the + 1 number on the wheels. I don't know if the fact that LL has only 39 balls versus the games these wheels were meant for with over 50 balls but  I just didn't like the combos the wheels produced.

One thing I noticed about Gails wheels is that no matter which wheel you use the numbers always seem to come together in the same way.

This is my problem with wheels.  I would find a wheel I wanted to use and then I would either have too many numbers.......so then I had to eliminate numbers OR I didn't have enough numbers so then I would have to add numbers just to use the wheel. Then after wheeling my numbers.......numbers I thought may hit together weren't together. Also I would end up with too many consecutive numbers.

This is why I started putting together my own lines. There's no guarantees BUT I'm much happier about the lines I play. Plus I get to decide how many different numbers to include and how many lines I want to play.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3106 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2010, 2:47 am - IP Logged

A Pick-6 wheel with a Key number that guarantees a 3 number prize becomes a 2if5 wheel when the Key number is dropped and the wheel used for Pick-5.  You always lose a prize tier when you lose a Key number.

If you insist a wheel put numbers together a certain way, place your numbers so they will fall into those positions.  You get to choose the order you put numbers on a wheel.

Use a wheel maker like Cover Master and make your own wheels exactly how you want them to be or as close as you can get. 

Use software that includes more wheels then a book, GH, Lottery Directory, Lotto-Logix book, where wheel size increases one number at a time so one wheel isn't too small and the next too big.

Nothing wrong with making your own lines, or dropping them into  CoverMaster, locking them and seeing what it takes to build a prize tier guarantee around them. 

Two wheels can have all the same attributes, each with a very different distribution, how the numbers are arranged.  You have to pick the wheel that distributes numbers the why you like.

BobP