Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Shared $18 Million Jackpot, Slim Pickings? - What's Your Opinion: Fate, Random, ...?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 7 years ago by TinFoilHat85705.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TinFoilHat85705's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
Tucson
United States
Member #86504
February 5, 2010
28 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2010, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I'm just curious what the rest of you think about this situation...

On December 27, 2000 there were two different winners of the PowerBall, one in Delaware (anonymous family group of 9) and one in Louisiana (individual chose personal #'s not QP).

The numbers that won it were: 15, 22, 24, 32, 39 with PB of 18.

About seven years prior, on 4/3/1993... those exact same numbers were drawn (down to the PB #). So far, this is the only time all 5 matched with a winner. One other had no winner.

80 million to 1 odds, do you think it was just luck, or that someone (or something that's not human and/or in this reality) had some kind of influence on it? Or do you believe randomness (or atleast the versions we are exposed to) speaks for itself?

PB had just put into rotation a new (or atleast new numbered) set of white balls for that 12/27/2000 draw! I'm just curious what others think, so please Reply!

CA
    United States
    Member #84266
    December 26, 2009
    410 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2010, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

The same numbers drawn in itself is pretty amazing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19822 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2010, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

01/09/08 - 02 13 20 21 23  +24
      02/08/03 - 02 13 20 21 23  +35

12/27/00 - 15 22 24 32 39  +18
      04/03/93 - 15 22 24 32 39  +18

It almost happened again in '08.  If you check most lotteries, it's not unusual for a combination of 5 or 6 to repeat when 0.1% of the possible combinations have been drawn.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tucson
        United States
        Member #86504
        February 5, 2010
        28 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2010, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Hey RJOh, what do you make of the 32 test draws that have matched all 5 WB's? Or rather, what do you make of the percentage that only 2 of the total 34 were draws? Do you think the PB chose to not make those other tests be draws or do you think that in all randomness, it was just truly random in the universe that only 2 of the 34 were draws?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19822 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2010, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Up to now I haven't follow the test drawings because I haven't played PB in a year of two.  Now that it's coming to Ohio I might check them out.  I have no reason to not think all the drawings are random including the test drawings, if I didn't I wouldn't play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2010, 1:28 am - IP Logged

I would say it's just one of those random occurrences.

Now if it was won in the same city or by the same people or there were more similarities to the story then I would say there's something bigger going on.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2010, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Hey RJOh, what do you make of the 32 test draws that have matched all 5 WB's? Or rather, what do you make of the percentage that only 2 of the total 34 were draws? Do you think the PB chose to not make those other tests be draws or do you think that in all randomness, it was just truly random in the universe that only 2 of the 34 were draws?

I'd like to know if there is a prescribed number of test draws assigned before they do them or if someone decides as they go along which is or is going to be the official drawing.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Tucson
                United States
                Member #86504
                February 5, 2010
                28 Posts
                Posted: April 5, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

That depends on how deep you're questioning the system of the game. Most of the public knows there's winning/draw numbers. What they may not know is that there are test draws. What the test draw files available from PB's web site seem to indicate is that for every single draw, 4 pre-tests happen, then the "public" draw, followed by a post-test. That file does not indicate whether or not there's always 4 tests, 1 real draw, and then another test or if the fifth draw is always the public draw. Only assumptions can be speculated. I do have data from them that goes back as far as 1992 in the same format: 4 tests, 1 draw, 1 more test. Somehow, they knew back then what they wanted to do, or atleast what they wanted to give out if ever asked for. And when you look at chi-testing, it makes since when you throw in the 4 separate sets of the same numbered balls for analyzation. But... who knows if even more tests/draws occur that don't get recorded for public dissection.