Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery, Church, and State

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
Northern Virginia
United States
Member #83350
December 5, 2009
1313 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2010, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

If there is a separation between church and state, how come some states do not have lottery drawings on Sunday?

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2010, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

If there is a separation between church and state, how come some states do not have lottery drawings on Sunday?

Because from The "In God We Trust"  on the money,  to the Swearing in with hand on the Bible,  to the "GOD Bless America" and  "America, America GOD shed His Grace on Thee"  There was never a real separation, What Separation??!

It is wise to Include ALMIGHTY GOD in Americas Affairs!!!

This is What Makes America Great!!!Patriot

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2010, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

The governors are probably worried that the Pope will have them knocked off.

You don't mess with the Pope.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
        Panama
        Member #73078
        April 4, 2009
        3490 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:02 am - IP Logged

The governors are probably worried that the Pope will have them knocked off.

You don't mess with the Pope.

rd. I could be Wrong, but I believe the founders of this country were Good old Protestants!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:08 am - IP Logged

rd. I could be Wrong, but I believe the founders of this country were Good old Protestants!!!

You're right, I wonder how many of them the Pope had knocked off. Good point.

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:16 am - IP Logged

In some cases probably Sunday "blue laws" (so called because they were on blue paper, or so the story goes.)

In Philadelphia the secind game of a twilight doubleheader can't start after a certain time, things like that.

Probably states tht are in the "Bible Belt" (and swore they'd never have a lottery) are the ones with no Sunday drawings, but usually that only lasts for so long.

The uual progression is no sunday drawings, then no Sunday Mid-Days, then Sunday Mid-Day, Evening, and Pick 5. For Illinoois, anyway, that's what happened. The Sunday MidDay was added no too long ago.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:17 am - IP Logged

You're right, I wonder how many of them the Pope had knocked off. Good point.

LoLLoLLoLHaHa..let me stop it's not Funny rd, but you have a way of putting a spin of humor into the most serious things...well..This pope is half dead himself no! I know the other one was looking like a dead man walking!  Whatever, I doubt the pope have any say in this country!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:21 am - IP Logged

In some cases probably Sunday "blue laws" (so called because they were on blue paper, or so the story goes.)

In Philadelphia the secind game of a twilight doubleheader can't start after a certain time, things like that.

Probably states tht are in the "Bible Belt" (and swore they'd never have a lottery) are the ones with no Sunday drawings, but usually that only lasts for so long.

The uual progression is no sunday drawings, then no Sunday Mid-Days, then Sunday Mid-Day, Evening, and Pick 5. For Illinoois, anyway, that's what happened. The Sunday MidDay was added no too long ago.

WoW Coin, you are  a human encyclopedia!!! Grate!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:31 am - IP Logged

It would be interesting to see the replies of the lottery officials for the states who do not draw on Sundays. And who knows, the way the economy continues to be maybe some states will have a change of heart.      Lottery = revenue.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2010, 12:44 am - IP Logged

It would be interesting to see the replies of the lottery officials for the states who do not draw on Sundays. And who knows, the way the economy continues to be maybe some states will have a change of heart.      Lottery = revenue.

There you go taking the Devil's side again. I'm starting to worry about you ca-. I think you may be the Spawn of Satan.

--Edmund Burke

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #70678
                      February 8, 2009
                      889 Posts
                      Posted: April 2, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

There you go taking the Devil's side again. I'm starting to worry about you ca-. I think you may be the Spawn of Satan.

Does this mean I was adopted? Who's my daddy?

I'm not trying to take anyones side but face it something as simple as playing the games one more day a week equals some big bucks.

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: April 2, 2010, 3:21 am - IP Logged

In South S Dakota on sunday you couldn't cash  in a ticket, but they would sell you one...

I believe in Colorado they wouldn't  sell me a ticket on sunday. (I could be wrong though)

I must really be evil to have to sell you a ticket or have a daily drawing on Christmas!  :-)

MarkP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10344 Posts
                          Posted: April 2, 2010, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Hermanus,

Come to think of it, my first experience with Lotto was when I lived in Germany from 1970-1973. The Hessen Lotto had a Saturday night drawing and that was it at the time.

I don't think there was any separation of church and state isues there, it's just the way it was.

Interesting game by the way, it was a 6/49 with a "Zuzattapielen", an extra play...the extra play was one more ball drawn fro runner-up prizes. It paid more than a 5 of 6 but not a jackpot like 6 of 6.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                            Member #68002
                            December 10, 2008
                            477 Posts
                            Posted: April 2, 2010, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Florida has Sunday drawings (Thank GOD)

DFW, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #78628
                              August 18, 2009
                              134 Posts
                              Posted: April 2, 2010, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Laws are made by representatives who want the approval of their constituents.  This tends to push the constituency's religion into policy.  In Texas, you can't buy liquor on Sunday, and can't buy beer on Sunday morning.

All the way back to the writing of the Constitution, Sunday was treated differently in some regards.  The Constitution says that the president has ten days to veto a bill, but Sundays are not included in the count of days.  There is historical and legal precedent all the way up to the Constitution for treating Sunday differently.