Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC Retailers- Reserving entire rolls of scratchers for favorite players -Can they legally do this?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
passion&purity's avatar - flower2
charlotte
United States
Member #3219
January 4, 2004
27 Posts
Posted: April 4, 2010, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

First, of all, thanks to Kidzmom for posting the info - sales tracker for NC payouts!

A  few questios for everyone:

One of the vendors with the highest sales in a county- based on the payout tracker mentioned above, is a store that I frequent about once a week.  They have a few "highroller" players who constantly come in and buy the $10 and $20 dollar tickets by the roll or by the half roll.  So, one day, I asked to buy a $20 ticket from a roll that one of the highrollers just purchased a half of the roll from, and the store owner told me that they couldn't sell me a ticket from this roll because it was "his roll- meaning the highroller, however, he had only purchased 1/2 of the roll and would come back and purchase the other half of the roll at a later date, and they frequently do this for their "big players".

Is this legal that they can save select rolls to sell portions of the roll eto a favorite person at different intervals? 

To say the least, since they told me that, I haven't been back to the store.  I've witnessed the "high roller" come in and buy and redeem stacks of tickets and win big- even has his name listed on the NC website's board many times for wins over $1000 and over.

Another question, if you look on the NC sales tracker posted on the Gaston Gazette, you'll notice that the stores with the highest payouts are in the eastern part of the state.  (Click the table by the payout column and it will show you highest to lowest payout dollars and percentages).

Now-- I wonder if this is by coincidence?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8797 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2010, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

First, of all, thanks to Kidzmom for posting the info - sales tracker for NC payouts!

One of the vendors with the highest sales in a county- based on the payout tracker mentioned above, is a store that I frequent about once a week.  They have a few "highroller" players who constantly come in and buy the $10 and $20 dollar tickets by the roll or by the half roll.  So, one day, I asked to buy a $20 ticket from a roll that one of the highrollers just purchased a half of the roll from, and the store owner told me that they couldn't sell me a ticket from this roll because it was "his roll- meaning the highroller, however, he had only purchased 1/2 of the roll and would come back and purchase the other half of the roll at a later date, and they frequently do this for their "big players".

Is this legal that they can save select rolls to sell portions of the roll eto a favorite person at different intervals? 

To say the least, since they told me that, I haven't been back to the store.  I've witnessed the "high roller" come in and buy and redeem stacks of tickets and win big- even has his name listed on the NC website's board many times for wins over $1000 and over.

Another question, if you look on the NC sales tracker posted on the Gaston Gazette, you'll notice that the stores with the highest payouts are in the eastern part of the state.  (Click the table by the payout column and it will show you highest to lowest payout dollars and percentages).

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

This would be something to be asked of your state lottery.

For someone to reserve a roll would seem questionable. If a roll is in the rack they should be available for individual or quantity purchase in my opinion.

Oo'Ka

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Chicago
      United States
      Member #70678
      February 8, 2009
      889 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2010, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

This would be something to be asked of your state lottery.

For someone to reserve a roll would seem questionable. If a roll is in the rack they should be available for individual or quantity purchase in my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing. Ask your state lottery. This sounds like an agreement between the store and the customer. Who knows maybe the store is getting something out of this arrangement.

If this person only purchases half the roll then by rights ANYONE should be able to purchase whatever is left over. Sounds to me like the roll is being purchased a half at a time in hopes of finding a big winner. Of course if the winner is found (in the first half) I'd be willing to bet the rest of the roll is then sold to other customers.

Let us know if you find anything out.

charlotte
        United States
        Member #3219
        January 4, 2004
        27 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2010, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Indeed ca-dreamin,

I will call the NC lottery and let you know.  If they are doing this to cheat the system to find a big winner, it is being badly done!  Badly done indeed!!

I'll keep everyone posted!

Have a great week-- in all of this pollen!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2010, 2:39 am - IP Logged

I believe a retailer can make any kind of deal he wants but if he is reserving one roll of tickets for somebody he shouldn't have them on display as if they are for sale.

He could refuse to sell you corn flakes if he wanted to because he was saving them for somebody but then he shouldn't have them on the shelf.

I'll bet you're not the only customer he's lost if he leaves the tickets on display and refuses to sell them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Buy your tickets at another store and hit a jackpot and stop in and say hi and show him the check,up close..

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23237 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2010, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Preferential treatment = a clerk's cut. Kind of like: I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine.

BSBSBS

Set4life's avatar - 2554
                East Hampton, NY
                United States
                Member #41995
                June 25, 2006
                1137 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2010, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I would wait till its closing time and have a private talk with the clerk... show him why your fist is full of dollarsBoxing

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

charlotte
                  United States
                  Member #3219
                  January 4, 2004
                  27 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2010, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Buy your tickets at another store and hit a jackpot and stop in and say hi and show him the check,up close..

Thanks again, and I like all of your ideas, especially yours Tigg95!  Hyper

Greensboro, North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #1616
                    June 5, 2003
                    1288 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2010, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Thanks again, and I like all of your ideas, especially yours Tigg95!  Hyper

All you need to do is call the Raleigh head office and report that store and hopefully the name of the a$$ who wouldn't sell you the scratch off. The Raleigh office will burn them a new one. Or just tell that store next time they pull that crap what you plan on doing. The Raleigh office does not play around. They will come over there and jerk the store's ability to sell Lottery because of unfairness. I am talking from experience. I had to do this to to a store because they refused to cash a winning ticket I had because I didn't buy the ticket there.  I reported them and they have done right since.

US Flag

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                      Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4054 Posts
                      Posted: April 10, 2010, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

All you need to do is call the Raleigh head office and report that store and hopefully the name of the a$$ who wouldn't sell you the scratch off. The Raleigh office will burn them a new one. Or just tell that store next time they pull that crap what you plan on doing. The Raleigh office does not play around. They will come over there and jerk the store's ability to sell Lottery because of unfairness. I am talking from experience. I had to do this to to a store because they refused to cash a winning ticket I had because I didn't buy the ticket there.  I reported them and they have done right since.

No NoI would report it to the lottery commission.  That is one reason I don't buy scratch off tickets.

takeemtothebank

United States
                        United States
                        Member #60097
                        April 5, 2008
                        3974 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2010, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Hello Everyone,

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

A store is allowed to sell a whole roll of tickets to a customer. 

Once a roll is opened, the store must sell to the customer as long as the customer is of legal age.  Thus the store can not allow someone to buy half a roll and then deny the next customer from buying tickets from the remaining portion of the roll.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2010, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Idk how it is in your state, but I remember that in PA, we could sell whole books to customers who had the CASH up-front, provided they were legal age.  We could special-order books of tickets to customers who gave us enough advance notice.  We could not, however refuse to sell anyone a ticket, as long as they were legal age an d had the cash up-front.  It didn't matter if someone else was playing a lot of that game. 
                          It didn't matter if someone had made 2 trips to an ATM to get more money with which to play.  It didn't matter if we were concerned that they had a gambling problem.  We had to sell them the ticket.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.