Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How often does this happen?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NC
United States
Member #89385
April 6, 2010
1 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2010, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,  long time lurker first time poster. Anywho wife got 3 tickets for tomorrows PB, 2 QP's and 1 with the numbers i chose.  All 3 tickets have the same first 5 numbers. Does this happen often or is it shenanigans?

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
    Member #88435
    March 16, 2010
    397 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2010, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I chose numbers last week and had QP's also and the QP's had many of the numbers I chose...I don't know if it is good or bad...I didn't win and only matched 2 numbers on 2 different lines. Either way good luck!

If I were you I would get one more QP just to give yourself an option.

$1,000,000

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2010, 12:12 am - IP Logged

First off, welcome to Lottery Post DBG26! And secondly, wow...I have never had that happen to me when buying qps. I have had tickets where multiple numbers have come out on the same lines, but nothing like that!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
        Park City, UT
        United States
        Member #69864
        January 18, 2009
        993 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2010, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I suspect either the play slip was filled out incorrectly or the attendant entered the information incorrectly and only the Powerball got QP'd.  Its too much of a coincidence for all 5 white ball numbers to be the same without a mistake made somewhere.  On the other hand, I get my lottery tickets in Malad, ID and the clerk told me that a man bought  5 QP's with powerplay on one slip and had 2 4+1 winners on the slip and the 4+1 numbers were the same.  He said people from Boise came down to check the terminal for errors but found nothing, so I guess it could happen.

Jimmy

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2010, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Were they three different tickets or 3 lines on one ticket?  There should be a notation by each combination that tells you if they were auto picks or something on the play slip or the way they were entered that caused them to come out that way.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
            West Side of Sunny Florida
            United States
            Member #55048
            September 8, 2007
            3371 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2010, 5:57 am - IP Logged

Hello all,  long time lurker first time poster. Anywho wife got 3 tickets for tomorrows PB, 2 QP's and 1 with the numbers i chose.  All 3 tickets have the same first 5 numbers. Does this happen often or is it shenanigans?

Ok, next question- What if those 5 come out!! Yes Nod PAYDAY!!!!

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49699 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2010, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Party

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2010, 1:38 am - IP Logged

I had something a little similar but not to that degree.

I picked 32 and 33 on a Pick 5 line once and let the computer quick pick the other 3 numbers on that line plus 4 more lines of strictly quick pick numbers.

Three of the four lines of strictly quick pick numbers also had the 32 and 33.

Is yours and my experience weird or do some computers possibly have memory issues?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: April 8, 2010, 2:15 am - IP Logged

Yep, that would be a nice, big payday! Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                    West Side of Sunny Florida
                    United States
                    Member #55048
                    September 8, 2007
                    3371 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2010, 4:53 am - IP Logged

I had something a little similar but not to that degree.

I picked 32 and 33 on a Pick 5 line once and let the computer quick pick the other 3 numbers on that line plus 4 more lines of strictly quick pick numbers.

Three of the four lines of strictly quick pick numbers also had the 32 and 33.

Is yours and my experience weird or do some computers possibly have memory issues?

Nice to see someone else runs into the QP (or NON-QP as I call it) issue.  I often will key-in on one or two numbers for Mega/Powerball/NY Lottery/NY Take 5 and interesting how out of 3-4 qp's that way they all are similar or worse have a lot of the same number that are part of my NORMAL numbers! Mad

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2010, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

There have been enough stories here claiming that QP's have repeated several numbers that if the claims are accurate, the repeated numbers can't be attributed to coincidence. I''ve considered that multiple lines on QP's may be wheeled  when the terminal chooses the numbers. That is, it *could* be a random two step process that works like this: First a subset of the whole matrix is randomly chosen. If you're playing 4 lines of 5 numbers the terminal might  randomly choose 25 to 30 numbers. In step two each individual line would be randomly selected from those 25 to 30 numbers.  That would make it almost certain that  some of the numbers would be repeated. I've got no idea how much of the information about the workings of the terminals' RNG is public, but it's possible that somebody could find out if they cared enough to look for the info.

As for choosing 5 numbers of your own and then having the same 5 come out on two QP's, that would be either an incredibly unlikely coincidence, or an indication of a bug in the RNG. There are roughly 5.2 million possible combinations for the 5 regular numbers. That means that if 5.2 million people each select their own numbers and also get 1 QP we should expect that one of those people would get a QP with the same 5 numbers that they chose on their own. If you'd gotten only 1 QP it would certainly be possible that you just happened to be that person.

If you really got 2 QP's with the same 5 numbers as a result of random chance it tells us that the terminal's RNG is completely random, and doesn't even check for duplicates. Since there's still only a 1 in 195 million chance of repeating the 5+1 combination I'm not sure if the 1 in 5.2 million chance of repeating the 5 numbers woud warrant checking for repeats. I can see reasonable arguments either way.

At any rate, the chances of getting 2 QP's that match your chosen numbers through random chance is 1 in 5.2 million squared, or about 1 in 27 trillion.  It could happen, but user error on the part of either the player or the person running the terminal is a far more likely explanation.