Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about PB/MM Quick Pick Strategy

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 7 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
South Carolina
United States
Member #18322
July 9, 2005
1706 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2010, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is drawn Wed & Sat at 10:59 pm EST.

Mega Millions is drawn Tues & Fri at 11:00 pm EST.

You have up until 15 minutes before the drawing time to purchase tickets.

I realize that Quick Picks are supposed to be random

However, if the retail computer terminals are plugged into the Central PB/MM terminal (where ever the Central Terminal is located), would the retail terminal be more likely to choose QP numbers that have already been played heavily, or QP numbers that have NOT been played so heavily, for that particular drawing ???  (Isn't this the case with STATE Pick 5 & Pick 6 drawings?? The retail terminals are plugged into the State's Central Lottery terminal, and therefore, the Terminal should Know what numbers have already been played Statewide (MOST & LEAST), and then the terminal chooses your numbers accordingly.)

Would the Winning PB/MM Numbers ( 5 white balls) most likely be numbers that have been played heavily Nationwide, or Not played heavily Nationwide??? 

My point is, If you purchase your QPs the morning of the drawing, would the numbers generated represent most heavily or least heavily played, at that point in time ??/

If you WAIT and purchase your QPs 1/2 hour to 15 minutes before the CUT OFF, would the terminal be most likely to generate numbers that have been Most or Least heavily played, by that moment in time ????

If you wait until the last moment to purchase your QPs, would you be more likely to end up with numbers that might be winning numbers, based on what has already been played nationwide, or not played,  if this is the way that the terminal generates QPs ???

You could compare MORNING QPs versus EVENING QPs to see if you notice any patterns, common numbers, etc., and then WHEEL the numbers that show up most often on the MORNING, EVENING, or COMBINED ticketsThus, using this strategy, you would generate your own numbers to play based on QP tickets.

What do you think about this reasoning ????

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2010, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

However, if the retail computer terminals are plugged into the Central PB/MM terminal (where ever the Central Terminal is located), would the retail terminal be more likely to choose QP numbers that have already been played heavily, or QP numbers that have NOT been played so heavily, for that particular drawing ???  (Isn't this the case with STATE Pick 5 & Pick 6 drawings?? The retail terminals are plugged into the State's Central Lottery terminal, and therefore, the Terminal should Know what numbers have already been played Statewide (MOST & LEAST), and then the terminal chooses your numbers accordingly.)

Would the Winning PB/MM Numbers ( 5 white balls) most likely be numbers that have been played heavily Nationwide, or Not played heavily Nationwide??? 

My point is, If you purchase your QPs the morning of the drawing, would the numbers generated represent most heavily or least heavily played, at that point in time ??/

If you WAIT and purchase your QPs 1/2 hour to 15 minutes before the CUT OFF, would the terminal be most likely to generate numbers that have been Most or Least heavily played, by that moment in time ????

If you wait until the last moment to purchase your QPs, would you be more likely to end up with numbers that might be winning numbers, based on what has already been played nationwide, or not played,  if this is the way that the terminal generates QPs ???

You could compare MORNING QPs versus EVENING QPs to see if you notice any patterns, common numbers, etc., and then WHEEL the numbers that show up most often on the MORNING, EVENING, or COMBINED ticketsThus, using this strategy, you would generate your own numbers to play based on QP tickets.

Wow; It's tought provoking at the very least, and at best might be something to your theory of the 15 minutes Intervals!

It's worth trying this a couple of times just to test it! Lurking

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      Portland,Oregon
      United States
      Member #14387
      April 25, 2005
      229 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Quick Picks are generated by a computer RNG program.  The numbers drawn for the actual game are selected by a ball machine which is not connected to a computer in any way! Personally I do not see that there could be any connection between the timing of buying QPs and the actual drawing of game numbers.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2010, 1:54 am - IP Logged

I agree with djklaugh. I don't think there's any strategy whatsoever with Quick Picks. There's no such thing as "timing the terminal".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #54181
          August 8, 2007
          123 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2010, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I had often thought about that myself. How are the winning numbers Drawn? How, in most states do the RNG machines select the winning numbers?

I had discussions among others that say, purchase tickets close to cut off time.  Others say, it doesn't matter what time. Someone, or a team of people has to be programming the RNG. Without the knowledge of how the RNG works, who's programming & operating it, oh yea... and don't forget the millions of combinations for the winning numbers, it's a long shot... by far for the pick-5, pick-6, & Jackpot Games.

But the very interesting thing is, , people continue to match jackpot winning numbers week after week, somewhere. I would like to see how those winning jackpot numbers were selected. Quick Picks? or by other means. And what time the tickets were purchased.

Balance is Key

Norfolk,VA
            United States
            Member #83225
            December 2, 2009
            757 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2010, 4:52 am - IP Logged

I had often thought about that myself. How are the winning numbers Drawn? How, in most states do the RNG machines select the winning numbers?

I had discussions among others that say, purchase tickets close to cut off time.  Others say, it doesn't matter what time. Someone, or a team of people has to be programming the RNG. Without the knowledge of how the RNG works, who's programming & operating it, oh yea... and don't forget the millions of combinations for the winning numbers, it's a long shot... by far for the pick-5, pick-6, & Jackpot Games.

But the very interesting thing is, , people continue to match jackpot winning numbers week after week, somewhere. I would like to see how those winning jackpot numbers were selected. Quick Picks? or by other means. And what time the tickets were purchased.

thats what i would like to know also....what time did the people who win purchase their winning QP tickets....

''YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL BUT, YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS''Thumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2010, 5:11 am - IP Logged

thats what i would like to know also....what time did the people who win purchase their winning QP tickets....

The point is moot as it pertains to the big games as the winning numbers are not RNG generated.

The state games are a horse of a different feather.

Kinda like when your wife says she's "going out with the girls".

Yeah, like that, heh, heh, heh.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2010, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80%of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weirdcoincidences?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8363 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2010, 1:26 pm - IP Logged
                  The central computer knows what numbers were given as quick picks but the central computer doesn't communicate with the RNG chipset's in the other computers at the retail stores to generate quick picks. It is an independent operation performed by the computer in the store.

As for computers giving out same or like numbers on quick picks the RNG chipset doesn't know what numbers were generated for any tickets other than the ticket it is generating at the moment. The RNG chipset doesn't have a memory of what numbers were given out on previous tickets. It processes the numbers and sends them to the central computer and the stores main frame memory.

The RNG devices job is to generate numbers and that's all it does.

So in fact an RNG in one store might generate the same numbers as another store but there was no communication between computers.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2010, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Somebody start a Lottery Urban Legends thread!

Scared

Lep

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: April 16, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

"What do you think about this reasoning ????"

I think you don't know how the terminals choose combinations for QP's. They're chosen by random number generators, the purpose of which is to choose numbers randomly. Among other things, random means that it doesn't matter whether a particular combination hasn't been played yet or if it's been played 1000 times.

As for whether the 5 winning numbers represent combinations that were played heavily or not, that's extremely easy to find out. All you need to do is look at how many tickets were sold, how many 5+0 winners there were, and compare that to the odds. For the last MM drawing there were about 30 million tickets sold and there were 8 5+0 winners. Statistically there should have been 7.8 winners. If you look at past drawinsg you'll find that the vast majority of them come pretty close to what would be expected from random results. One possible explanation for that could be that the results are random.

United States
                        Member #83701
                        December 13, 2009
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2010, 10:56 am - IP Logged

It would be a logistical nightmare to program a system to choose quickpick numbers according heuristics of what numbers had already been purchased.   There's no way that filtering against previously purchased tickets would be able to serve the number of retail terminals that exist.   Each terminal simply generates it's own quickpick without consulting any previous purchases other than through the internal state of it's RNG which is a simple 32 bit number and then reports it to the central computer with a cryptographically signed checksum.   They simply leave it to the pseudo-random generator to ensure a uniform spread.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2010, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

When once a number, or set of numbers is taken it is no longer available, that's called a raffle, not a lottery.

Lep

United States
                            Member #83701
                            December 13, 2009
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2010, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

When once a number, or set of numbers is taken it is no longer available, that's called a raffle, not a lottery.

Although I would agree with that definition, there are the scratch-off lotteries where once a ticket is purchased, it's no longer available to others for purchase yet it's called a lottery and not a raffle.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10353 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2010, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Although I would agree with that definition, there are the scratch-off lotteries where once a ticket is purchased, it's no longer available to others for purchase yet it's called a lottery and not a raffle.

jwhou,

Actually scratchers are "Instant tickets" sold by the lottery and not part of a drawing because the "drawing" has already been printed on the tickets.

Lep