Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Couple of minor changes at USA Mega

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 7 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23259 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2010, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Just a quick update on the USA Mega web site:

• The Mega Millions cash options are now shown in the exact amounts, as reported by the lotteries, as opposed to previously when they were show rounded to the nearest million dollars.
  • Jackpot Alerts for Mega Millions also include the exact cash amount.
  • The Megaplier is now included as part of the text news announcement that is posted immediately after the drawing takes place.

Nothing Earth-shattering here, but useful for people who look for these things.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40250 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2010, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd , I can live with rounded millions.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

DFW, Texas
      United States
      Member #78628
      August 18, 2009
      134 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2010, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I had wondered why the Mega Millions cash value didn't show the tenths.  The reason isn't really important; I just noticed because it was different from the Powerball display.

Another change that wasn't mentioned is that the Megaplier column on the Mega Millions previous results pages is no longer labelled "Texas only."

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2010, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I had wondered why the Mega Millions cash value didn't show the tenths.  The reason isn't really important; I just noticed because it was different from the Powerball display.

Another change that wasn't mentioned is that the Megaplier column on the Mega Millions previous results pages is no longer labelled "Texas only."

You have a sharp eye.  I didn't bother mentioning the "Texas Only" label, but I'm glad that you noticed!

The tenths thing on the cash value dates back a long time, to when the game was still "The Big Game".  They used to always report the cash value as a whole number -- no tenths.  If memory serves, I believe it was Ohio that first started reporting the cash value in tenths, and the official site followed some time later.  (By that point the game was called Mega Millions.)

Believe it or not, within program code and a database system that kind of thing can have an impact, because everything that is coded as "integer" would have to be re-coded as "float/real".  It's very easy to make a mistake when re-coding a whole system like that, and I avoided doing it so that I wouldn't have a problem.

Well, I finally finished re-coding everything, and only had one minor glitch that I had to fix this morning.  The Jackpot Alerts were late because they included a hidden reference to an integer for the cash value, and wouldn't kick off until I fixed it.

So there you have it, in all it's gory detail! Big Grin

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
          Portland,Oregon
          United States
          Member #14387
          April 25, 2005
          229 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2010, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

There are other states offering the Megaplier now - Oregon being one of them :)

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40250 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2010, 10:03 am - IP Logged

There are other states offering the Megaplier now - Oregon being one of them :)

If they want to keep up with powerball sales they should. I play powerball over megamillions for just that reason. I wish mich. had megaplier.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"