Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpots are always won with one set of numbers

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 7 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #90072
April 21, 2010
1 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2010, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

One set of numbers always win the jackpot.So buying more than one ticket per drawing is betting against yourself.If we stick to buying one ticket per drawing the lottery will be force to reduce the odds of winning.I will be happy to win a lottery jackpot or a second prize once in my lifetime.one single ticket per drawing makes a lot of sense. 1 ticket gives me as much chance as 100 tickets because the lottery equation never changes no matter how many tickets are bought. For mega millions it always stays at 1 to 175 millions or powerball 1 to 195 millions.Every ticket line represents one person playing whether you spend $1, $2, $3, $4, $5 or more.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1654 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

One set of numbers always win the jackpot.So buying more than one ticket per drawing is betting against yourself.If we stick to buying one ticket per drawing the lottery will be force to reduce the odds of winning.I will be happy to win a lottery jackpot or a second prize once in my lifetime.one single ticket per drawing makes a lot of sense. 1 ticket gives me as much chance as 100 tickets because the lottery equation never changes no matter how many tickets are bought. For mega millions it always stays at 1 to 175 millions or powerball 1 to 195 millions.Every ticket line represents one person playing whether you spend $1, $2, $3, $4, $5 or more.

Hmmm...interesting theory. Check this one out: You and a friend both go to the store and you spend $1 dollar on your ticket via personal selection or QP...and you're done with it. You friend, on the other hand, spends say $5 dollars on his selections and actually hits the BIG ONE!!

Now, FOUR of his lines are completely different while the LAST one has THREE of the same numbers your one ticket contains IN ADDITION TO THE REMAINING WINNING NUMBERS. Now what?

It can and does happen all the time when you see tickets matching (5) out of (6) along with a jackpot winner. Yeah, it's a long shot but, it just doesn't hurt to spend a good, solid $5 on this deal. Never know how those other $4 might just make all the difference. Just my .02

I do understand your overall logic, though. Still, we're dealing with numbers and odds.

L.L.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5587 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2010, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

This is an old argument that I tend to agree with,  that your chances don't actually begin to improve to HIT the jackpot until the number of plays start approaching the possible number of combinations.

BUT.............................if you buy 2 tickets you double your chances to hit 1 in 87,500,000 roughly.

if you buy 100 tickets your odds on PBALL drop to 1 in 1,750,000 roughly.

if you but 1000 tickets your odds on PBALL drop to 1 in 175,000 roughly.

if you buy 1,000,000 tickets your odds are 1 in 175 roughly.

Now you buy 80,000,000 tix you are getting close to 1 in 2.

Crying

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19893 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2010, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

You sound like a poster named Universe who got deleted this morning after starting 12 different threads with similar comments.  Everyone here knows only one combination wins the jackpot and other combinations with 3 or more of the winning numbers win prizes too.  If you only want to buy one ticket, fine  it's your money.  Players who can afford to spend more want to hear something they can use like a strategy for picking 10-20 lines that are likely to have a winner in them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
          Nashville, TN
          United States
          Member #86739
          February 9, 2010
          483 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2010, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I used to feel th is way too. Used to only buy 1 or 2 tickets per drawing.

One reason is, as I read in a book about an Infantry soldier in Vietnam, who saw a guy wearing TWO flak vests, figuring if he got hit then he had a much better chance to survive. Other guys in country laughed and said 'hey man, if it's your time to go it's your time, no matter how many flak vests you have and no matter what you do'.

I figured this can apply to a lot in life.

BUT

after participating in a powerball pool a few years ago at work where 4 of us pitched in $5 each, we hit for around $120. this showed that the more chances you have out there, the better off you are.

In hindsight, sure, I would like to have a lot of the money back that I have spent on the losing tickets, but I guess that's why we call it 'gambling' :)

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2010, 3:02 am - IP Logged

"If we stick to buying one ticket per drawing the lottery will be force to reduce the odds of winning."

If you really believe that:
            1. I've got a bridge to sell you.
            2. You don't know much about  the lottery, since the majority of players do buy a single ticket.

Orange County
              United States
              Member #21658
              September 12, 2005
              31 Posts
              Posted: April 28, 2010, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

This is an old argument that I tend to agree with,  that your chances don't actually begin to improve to HIT the jackpot until the number of plays start approaching the possible number of combinations.

BUT.............................if you buy 2 tickets you double your chances to hit 1 in 87,500,000 roughly.

if you buy 100 tickets your odds on PBALL drop to 1 in 1,750,000 roughly.

if you but 1000 tickets your odds on PBALL drop to 1 in 175,000 roughly.

if you buy 1,000,000 tickets your odds are 1 in 175 roughly.

Now you buy 80,000,000 tix you are getting close to 1 in 2.

Crying

How does buying more tickets influence how many tickets other people buy?  If I buy 80,000,000 tickets, will that automatically stop everyone else in the country from buying a ticket?  You can win by spending more money on tickets, but wouldn't it be unlucky if more than one ticket won?  If everyone else still buys their ticket, That still limits your chances of winning at least to some extent.

Luck be a lady tonight!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2010, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

You are so wrong I don't know where to begin.