Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC Instant Ticket Players, good info for you and comments wanted

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 7 years ago by timjenn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
passion&purity's avatar - flower2
charlotte
United States
Member #3219
January 4, 2004
27 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2010, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Hi There,

It's been a while since I've posted...too busy at work during the busiest time of the year!

Anyway, today, one of my coworkers from our Ohio office told me something about scratchoffs that I found interesting.  We were talking about playing the instant tickets, in General, and I told him that I didn't anymore basically because it seems so hard to win a large prize in NC.  He told me that the reason this may be is that retailers have opportunity to scan the barcodes of all tickets on a roll to see if there are any large winners before they display the roll for sale, and that for certain, that had happened in Ohio several times with retailers.  (In Ohio, they kept having stores with repeated high winning tickets and the state investigated and found out that the store owners were scanning full rolls of tickets before they placed the rolls out to sale.  And when they found large winners, they either bought the tickets or waited until the "marked" ticket came up for sale and then bought it.).

If you remember, when the lottery first came to NC, there were alot of complaints about the "Instant Tickets" because it seemed that most of the large winning tickets were being won by store owners, especially owners of "Mom and Pop stores".

This is discouraging!  Any one have any thoughts on it- is this really possible?  If so, it seems that the NCEL would provide better safeguards against this.  A ticket should become null as soon as it has been scanned and the prize detected.  But, that wouldn't stop the store owner or clerk from buying the "scanned winner" , would it?

Thanks for your input!!

ncpowerplayer's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
    Burlington, NC
    United States
    Member #54722
    August 27, 2007
    83 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2010, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Yes, it is very possible.  First, I buy 99% of my tickets from the vending machines at the grocery store.  I know store employees stock them, usually the manager and one other person.  This would cut down on the possibility of them scanning the tickets since they don't have the time.  I have pulled many winners from these machines, probably since they are "untouched". 

I have also noticed that many of the gas stations that sell lottery tickets usually have a few loose tickets tucked into the dispenser on top of the rolls.

Why would they be there?

Anyway, the state doesn't care if we win or not.  They want to sell tickets.  One of the most consistent big winners in the state is a little gas station in the Western part of the state, I think in Newton.  There was a story on LP a while back on them.  

The tickets are printed in Georgia.  They have serial numbers and are very traceable.  The lottery knows exactly where each pack is going and what it contains.  The folks at the printing plant would know the winning rolls, but not where they ended up.  But they could tip off a relative to be on the look out for a certain pack.

I really dislike the new scanners on the vending machines.  Now they can trace exactly what amount you put into the machine, what and how many of each ticket you bought, and exactly when you visited and how many you bought each day.  

The scanner doesn't really stop kids from buying tickets.  I have seen many parents "unlocking" the machines and then the kids, some as young as 6, picking their tickets.  

The scanner only stops illegals from playing, since they don't have a state license.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
      Nashville, TN
      United States
      Member #86739
      February 9, 2010
      483 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I am not surprised.

In Tennessee, I have noticed sometimes store clerks will scan the ticket when I buy it (just like they scan any other product I buy), whereas others do not.

This makes me wonder:

1. Are they scanning it just to 'ring up' the product like normal

or

2. are they scanning it to determine if it is a winner or not

or

3. are they NOT scanning it because it has already been scanned by them previously and they dont want to ring it up twice?

I have long thought that store clerks should not be allowed to buy lottery tickets but I know that is unfair to them. Someone on this site I think said that store OWNERS are not supposed to buy them but I do not know what TN's law about this is.

I think ncpowerplayer hit it on the head: the state doesnt care who buys the ticket as long as they buy it.

Couldnt a store owner who buys a big ticket just report in as an 'anonymous' winner and not get noticed by the media?

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
        MICHIGAN
        United States
        Member #65282
        September 22, 2008
        1992 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the 411, never thought to buy from the machine,

i will try those from now on!  very interesting

LIVE the LIFE you LOVE......LOVE the LIFE you LIVE

Bob MarleyCheers

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
          Nashville, TN
          United States
          Member #86739
          February 9, 2010
          483 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the 411, never thought to buy from the machine,

i will try those from now on!  very interesting

I like the machines as well because let's say the store clerk does NOT scan the entire pack of scratch offs but they watch each time a string of non-winning lottery tickets are sold. If the person scratches the tickets in the store and does not win anything, the clerk knows this and therefore knows s/he has a better chance of winning.

Sure a store clerk could do this with the machine but it makes it harder to do, especially if the machine is out of sight.

Maybe this is why the Lottery began using machines?

kenly, NC
            United States
            Member #88613
            March 19, 2010
            101 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2010, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

as a retailer in NC I doubt that this is happening, the store would lose a large amount of money if they just scanned the tickets and didnt collect any money from it, I think this is just idle gossip myself, everyone always has an excuse for not winning.