Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

First Site Update in Almost 3 Months!

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23277 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Wow, scary update today -- just because it's been so long!

The biggest change is the brand new lottery results pages.  Holy mackerel, they were a lot of work!!

I had been planning to update the results pages for years now, and it has actively been in the works for over a year.  It's much harder to make an effective and universal page like that than most people think.  They went through SO MANY iterations and tweaks to arrive at what you see now.

I figured with Lottery Post's 10-year anniversary coming up next month, that I HAD to finish it.  I hope you like the final creation.

There are several other changes here and there throughout the site, and I'll try to document them in the Change Log.  Maybe by later today (I'll try).

One big area of new support is for iPads.  I'm making a big push to make everything iPad-friendly, and this is the first iteration of that.  For example, any news story that includes a video should work perfectly on an iPad now.  Not a small or easy change!

Anyway, more to come later...

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Play-girl's avatar - yesnurse
    Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Member #84484
    December 29, 2009
    162 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I Like The Changes U Made!! NICE......

**Almost Doesn't Count**

yyzena's avatar - mary
      Cheektowaga, NY
      United States
      Member #88906
      March 25, 2010
      44 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Todd ... you did a fantasitc job!! Thanks for all your hard work :)

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Very cool.  Looks sharp.  Thanks!

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #55084
          September 10, 2007
          347 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I just noticed while checking a few results. Very nice!!!! Thumbs Up

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
            Connecticut
            United States
            Member #61623
            May 29, 2008
            20581 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

That's pretty sweet seeing the result board with official state logos of the games...Nice Job

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
              Member #81314
              October 16, 2009
              19014 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

"It looks great, I really like the, Icons for Midday and Evening.

You did a really good job, and I appreciate all the information I get here at Lottery Post.

Thank You!

The Struggle is real!

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #55084
                September 10, 2007
                347 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Just also noticed the timers for the next drawings. I can't say it enough, keep up the great work Todd!!!! Thumbs Up

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31369 Posts
                  Posted: April 27, 2010, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Thank you sweet man.  Lovies

love to nibble those micey feet.

CLOVER$BAY's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    MO
                    United States
                    Member #76619
                    July 2, 2009
                    699 Posts

Todd you are the man, Keep up the good work, A wonderful site, with wonderful people. God Bless!

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23277 Posts

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I didn't wait until later to write up the changes.  Here they are:

Brand new lottery results pages!

The biggest change in the lastest site update is the complete refresh of all the state/provincial lottery results pages.  Overall, the theme of the new results pages is to make the page as clear as possible to read, while respecting the unique aspects of each individual state or jurisdiction.  This makes the page recognizable and familiar to each viewer.  The changes include:

• New graphical format that includes an official, high quality game logo for every game.  This will make it much easier to find the game you're looking for, and will avoid potential mistakes caused by looking at the wrong results.
                      • All game graphics are the actual graphics used within the state, province, or country -- including the multi-state graphics.  For example, nearly every state in the USA has its own unique Powerball logo.  Lottery Post displays the actual logo used within each individual state -- not a generic Powerball logo -- in order to be as clear as possible that the game being displayed is the exact game within that state.
                      • For most states with midday and evening draws of a particular game, there is only one logo for the game.  In that case, Lottery Post displays that single logo, and also displays a "sun" (midday) or "moon" (evening) icon next to the midday or evening draws.  This arrangement clearly shows that the draws are for the same game, yet distinguishes the drawings from each other to avoid any confusion.
                      • For states that use a separate logo for midday and evening games (such as Connecticut), the games are separated (instead of joined together) and placed with their correct logo images.
                      • All lottery results are presented with graphical "lottery ball" symbology, to lend maximum readability and clarity to the winning numbers.  Special numbers, such as bonus numbers, sums, and multipliers, have unique colors and shapes to set the apart.  The colors of the bonus balls are purposely set to match the colors used within the actual game.  For example, Powerball uses a red Powerball number, while Mega Millions uses a gold Mega Ball number -- the actual colors used in those games.
                      • The jackpot amounts are listed together with the game results, so viewers do not have to search a different part of the page to get the new jackpot amounts.
                      • A countdown timer is shown for each game to indicate the number of days, hours, minutes, and seconds until the next drawing is set to take place.  Each timer is updated in real-time.  The actual date and time (and time zone) of the next drawing is also shown.
                      • Separate links for Previous Results and Jackpot History -- two common pages for players to navigate to -- are shown prominently on each game's results.  Other options for each game (in the form of a popup menu) are available from the "More" link.  Using "More" should be clearer and more descriptive than the old method of clicking on the game name.
                      • Clicking a game logo takes the viewer directly to the Game Information page for that game.
                      • All the elements of the page neatly align vertically on the page, to make visually scanning the page much easier.  The results take a right-aligned stance, which makes it very quick to find a game based on the the type of game (and hence quantity of numbers drawn).  Quickly scanning the page has become much easier.
                      • The page easily adapts to a wide range of browser window widths.  If your browser is narrow -- for example, if your screen has a low resolution -- the results will re-arrange themselves in a narrow pattern, rather than forcing you to scroll to the right.  If you have a wide browser window, the elements on the page will spread out and use the extra width available.  Overall, this arrangement is much more friendly than the previous table layout.
                      • Much of the "boxiness" of the previous results pages has been eliminated.  Only the number of windows/boxes that are necessary are used.  (No more "box within a box" look.)
                      • Alternating row colors ("zebra stripes") are used to make the individual games stand out better for visual inspection.
                      • Fonts and colors were chosen specifically to make scanning the page quicker. 

Other changes around Lottery Post:

• The private messaging system has new highlighting for messages that are "checked" for deleting or moving them.  This makes it much easier and quicker to see what messages you have selected.  Also, the area that you can click within to select a message has been enlarged, so you should find that messages are easier and quicker to select.
                      • In prepartion for the release of new web browsers that enable HTML 5, which contains new browser features, much of the code on each page has been tweaked to remain compatible with older browsers, while enabling them to work better with new browsers.
                      • Changes have been made to several pages to make the site more iPad-friendly.  For example, all news stories that include a video will now allow the video to be displayed on an iPad.
                      • Fixed e-mail notification for private messages, which has not been working for a while.  (Reminder: This can be turned off using the E-mail Settings in ther Options menu.)
                      • Fixed some issues with browser compatibilty detection.  SSL detection should be more reliable.
                      • The usual performance tweaks and minor improvements in several places.  This happens every time I update the site.  When I find small things that need fixing or improving, I make the changes, and then the changes get installed the next time I update the site.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23277 Posts
                        Posted: April 27, 2010, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I gotta tell you, the hardest thing of all about creating the new results pages was amassing a collection of high-quality logos for each game.

Some state lotteries really helped me out by providing some great graphics, but for the most part I had to create or modify them myself.  It took forever!!

Not only did I have to obtain/create/modify hundreds of graphic images, but the sizes all had to work perfectly together.  On each lottery results page, I resized the images so that when they are all put together on the same page, the sizes of all the games work well together.  So I couldn't just make them all "100 pixels wide" -- I had to eyeball them all myself, and I judged how tall & wide each one should be in order for them to look good together.

Also, I took the extra step of creating graphical images of each multi-state game -- as it appears in every state.  So for Powerball (for example), that meant creating 44 different Powerball logos.

The reason is that I wanted the graphics to be easily recognizable by players within each state, because many states change the multi-state graphics to match their state's "theme".  For example, check out the Powerball logo in Connecticut or Colorado.  It looks nothing like the official Powerball logo on the Multi-State page.

That kind of stuff took such a long time that I just want the memory of it to fade at this point.  Crazy

But, I'm really happy with the end result of the effort.  It came out very close to my vision for the page, which is always satisfying!

GEORGIA
                          United States
                          Member #64238
                          August 22, 2008
                          9553 Posts
                          Posted: April 27, 2010, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

WOW  Todd, you did a fantastic job as usual.  It looks great.

NBey6's avatar - pyramid
                            $$ Notaphilist $$

United States
                            Member #4290
                            April 9, 2004
                            16476 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2010, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Todd - You should be extremely proud of the outstanding job with the new updates. The results page is amazing and gives it the 'drawing' feel to me, especially with the countdown telling you how long before the next draw. I've always liked websites that show the results in ball/sphere form it's a great visual. Congratulations and thanks for an amazing website!!

Bravo!

I am a money magnet. 

Clover Thumbs Up 

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              19014 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2010, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

To Show my appreciaton , I will remain a Platinum Member.

The Struggle is real!