Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Urban Legends

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Pick3forSC.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
Member #81314
October 16, 2009
19000 Posts
Posted: May 1, 2010, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

We might have done this before, I'm not sure, but let's put some here for fun.

Things you've heard others say and you know are just not true, or things you might have tried and found out were not true.

Here's a few:

The sum of a Pick 3 drawing is usually 15.

Not in Illinois, I know that much!

Don't play a jackpot game the day of the drawing.

Total baloney!

Only play a jackpot game the day of the drawing.

Also baloney!

Higher numbers hit more often because there's more paint on the balls.

No.

lol

Illinois, 4/30/2010  744,   lol,  7+4+4=? lmaoooooooooooooooo

Missouri,  evening, 719  4/30/2010

Missouri, midday,  179  5/01/2010

Is this random drawing? by a computer?  whatever, I don't think so, I think they repeated the same number, because, the payout, last night was big on the pick 3 and the pick 4.

This is not theory, it's factual.

And, I'm peed off, because, I said, it was going to come back, instead, I played, 789.

lmaoooooooooooooooo.

The Struggle is real!

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3675 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2010, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Things you've heard others say and you know are just not true, or things you might have tried and found out were not true.

Here's a few:

Total baloney!

Also baloney!

No.

"Higher numbers hit more often because there's more paint on the balls."

This might be true if Computer Generated States had any 'Balls'.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

New York,
      Panama
      Member #73078
      April 4, 2009
      3490 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2010, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Here's a few:

Total baloney!

Also baloney!

No.

Allways Pick 3 odd and 3 pairs when picking 6 numbers For The Jackpot.

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2010, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

The most common sums in a Pick 3 drawing are 13 and 14. 12 and 15 are the second most common sums.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2010, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Don't play until the jackpot exceeds the odds.

BobP

Good one, BobP. Not to mention that people that do that are assuming a solo jackpot, and if that's not the case and the jackpot gets divvied up it blows that theory to smithereens twice!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
            Northern Virginia
            United States
            Member #83350
            December 5, 2009
            1317 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2010, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I used to think that my birthday (1/04) would win the lottery more often on days that

- I went to the doctor's

- I ate from Subway

- I did something that pertained to music

There was also a slew of times around the turn of the millennium where my birthday came up when I got sick.

- 11/01/1999, I had a sore throat and had to stay home from school, 104 hit in Delaware.

- 11/20/2000-11/21/2000 - I had bronchitis or pneumonia, 104 hit in Kentucky on November 21.

- 03/05/2001-03/06/2001 - I had pneumonia (again)!, 104 hit in Arizona on March 5 and California on March 6.

Ever since then, I started expecting my birthday to hit somewhere when I get sick, but it hasn't been happening recently.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

DFW, Texas
              United States
              Member #78628
              August 18, 2009
              134 Posts
              Posted: May 3, 2010, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Here's a few:

Total baloney!

Also baloney!

No.

The first one, about pick-3 sums, has some truth to it, but isn't quite accurate.  Some sums are more likely than others.  Consider that there's only one way to get a sum of 0 or to get a sum of 27.  The odds of either of those is 1:1,000, the same as the odds of a straight match, since only one combination will produce either of those sums.

Only 000 produces a sum of 0.  Only 999 produces a sum of 27.  Three combinations produce a sum of 1 (001 010 100) or 26 (998 989 899).  Sums toward the middle become more likely.

The most likely sums are 13 and 14, with the odds being roughly 1:13, 12 and 15 have odds of roughly 1:14.  You can see the Sum It Up chart in the Pick 3 section of the Texas Lottery web site to see the odds of each sum.  Texas took advantage of this mathematical phenomenon to add an additional feature to bet on sums.  You can win even if you don't match the numbers.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7319 Posts
                Posted: May 3, 2010, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Never play consecutive numbers combinations: 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc. If it hits, you'll have to split the jackpot many players.

Never play combinations like 5-10-15-20-25-30 because again, many players use them.

Doubles never hit in Tennessee (oops actually happened in the pick-3 and pick-4 for over a month)

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2010, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

The first one, about pick-3 sums, has some truth to it, but isn't quite accurate.  Some sums are more likely than others.  Consider that there's only one way to get a sum of 0 or to get a sum of 27.  The odds of either of those is 1:1,000, the same as the odds of a straight match, since only one combination will produce either of those sums.

Only 000 produces a sum of 0.  Only 999 produces a sum of 27.  Three combinations produce a sum of 1 (001 010 100) or 26 (998 989 899).  Sums toward the middle become more likely.

The most likely sums are 13 and 14, with the odds being roughly 1:13, 12 and 15 have odds of roughly 1:14.  You can see the Sum It Up chart in the Pick 3 section of the Texas Lottery web site to see the odds of each sum.  Texas took advantage of this mathematical phenomenon to add an additional feature to bet on sums.  You can win even if you don't match the numbers.

Longarm,

Granted, some sums will show more than others, but the aerticle I had read said the sum of a Pick 3 drawing is usually 15.

Looking opver results for Illinois, it's about 20% of the time. I don't think 20% is the same thing as usually.

That would be about the same as saying a .200 hitter in baseball usually gets on base.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                    LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4506 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2010, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Hey Coin-

THE FLEA CHORUS:
                    "Oh Lord, Please let me break even today......I need the money!"

EddessaKnightSun Smiley

DFW, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #78628
                      August 18, 2009
                      134 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2010, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Longarm,

Granted, some sums will show more than others, but the aerticle I had read said the sum of a Pick 3 drawing is usually 15.

Looking opver results for Illinois, it's about 20% of the time. I don't think 20% is the same thing as usually.

That would be about the same as saying a .200 hitter in baseball usually gets on base.

I meant to suggest that there's some truth to the statement, but that it isn't quite accurate.  15 will come up more often than 4 or 22, but not "usually."  It should be the sum of the numbers in about one of every 14 draws.  I certainly agree that once in every 14 draws isn't "usual," but there is truth in the idea that some sums will be more common than others.

I don't believe that's helpful, though, because the sum will be as common as the number of combinations that will produce it (if more combinations produce a sum, it will be more common).  I don't see how that's helpful information, since overall they pay out about half of what they take in, regardless of individual draws or numbers or sums.  However, maybe someone who's better with numbers could find it useful.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: May 4, 2010, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

if  you didnt put the ticket ontoday the numbers are %100 guranteed to come up

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: May 4, 2010, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Hey Coin-

THE FLEA CHORUS:
                          "Oh Lord, Please let me break even today......I need the money!"

EddessaKnightSun Smiley

Good one! And oh how true!

Lep

Oklahoma City, OK
                            United States
                            Member #87976
                            March 7, 2010
                            101 Posts
                            Posted: May 5, 2010, 4:46 am - IP Logged

if  you didnt put the ticket ontoday the numbers are %100 guranteed to come up

Actually that happened to me yesterday, savagegoose.  I had done my workup the night before, and had my pick3 playslips all filled out and posted my predictions on LP.  It was a busy day and I never got around to buying my tickets.  Wouldn't you know it...I missed out on a hit!  It was a box, but I'd still have happily taken it.  Rats!!

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!    Cool

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #2987
                              December 10, 2003
                              832 Posts
                              Posted: May 5, 2010, 7:16 am - IP Logged

JADELottery, amongst others, has posted a chart on Pick 3 sums for all possible combinations. For the latest, see this thread: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/209210

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=