Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New California Lotto Player!! HELP PLEASE!

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by DaveH3.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BOOBERT's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Anaheim
United States
Member #90682
May 2, 2010
4 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2010, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Okay so i'm a young new player from Southern California and have lots to learn about playing scratch off tickets.  I have had some success and know very little about playing scratchers.  I was wondering if i can PLEASE get some expert advise to maximize my profits and have more success (I said "please":D ).  Your help will be highly appreciated.

What are the best lotto scratchers to buy?

What are the best places to buy scratchers?

When is the best time/day/month to buy scratch off tickets?

THANK YOU!

-BOOBERT

Anaheim
    United States
    Member #90682
    May 2, 2010
    4 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2010, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Anyone?

Dream Big. Win Big. Live Big.

Set4life's avatar - 2554
      East Hampton, NY
      United States
      Member #41995
      June 25, 2006
      1137 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2010, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

1.How much can you afford?  my personal fav is $1:)

2. Your local deli

3.Right now.

You welcomeBig Smile

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

vjohnson8's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        fort
        United States
        Member #72407
        March 17, 2009
        6493 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2010, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Your favorite gas station, good luck val8I Agree!

LET's get paid$$$$ money rollYes Nod

Anaheim
          United States
          Member #90682
          May 2, 2010
          4 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2010, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy $3 dollar tickets with a 6-9 dollar loss limit.  i usually play the crossword puzzle tickets and the most ive won was 10 bucks...

Dream Big. Win Big. Live Big.

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2010, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Hi Boobert,welcome to the LP :)

There really is no strategy when it comes to playing scratchers. It basically is the "luck of the draw" so to speak. Where you buy them, when you buy them..... doesn't matter. In my opinion they are a waste of money. Over the years the most I won was $100 but most were "free ticket" ones, big whoop! They are frustrating after awhile and I'm sure you will tire of them in the long run. The crosswords are fun, used to play those a lot. But at $3.00 a pop, I'd rather buy a whole crossword puzzle book and save myself the aggravation,lol. :) 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2010, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I mostly agree with lottolaughs but I occasionally buy them when it's a new game that has just come out. Especially a million dollar game or other big buck game because I think they throw some big winners out there early to pump up publicity for the game.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi Boobert,welcome to the LP :)

There really is no strategy when it comes to playing scratchers. It basically is the "luck of the draw" so to speak. Where you buy them, when you buy them..... doesn't matter. In my opinion they are a waste of money. Over the years the most I won was $100 but most were "free ticket" ones, big whoop! They are frustrating after awhile and I'm sure you will tire of them in the long run. The crosswords are fun, used to play those a lot. But at $3.00 a pop, I'd rather buy a whole crossword puzzle book and save myself the aggravation,lol. :) 

"Luck of the draw"...Yeeeeeessss..

Philadelphia, PA
                  United States
                  Member #91808
                  May 25, 2010
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: May 25, 2010, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I think there are a few simple strategies you can use.....mostly to keep you from losing money on tickets that don't have the same potential as others:

1) ALWAYS check the states website for overall odds on each ticket.  All tickets are NOT created equal; even at the same price point.  I play in PA quite often and if you look at the overall odds for some different games at the same price point, you'll find that there is sometimes a marginal difference in the overall odds. I say go to the website, because you can't always see the odds on the tickets, especially now that a lot of tickets are being dispensed through machines.  Most retailers don't carry all the same games, so why waste your money on games that aren't the best odds?  Find the only the best odds for the price point you like to play and only play those tickets.

2) If you state publishes it on the website, always keep an eye on the top prizes remaining or claimed.  You can eliminate the games that don't have more than 1 top prize remaining, just because that would be like finding a needle in a haystack.  I figure if I'm looking at two haystacks and one has 1 needle in it and the other has at least 2 in it, I'm going to hunt through the haystack with more needles!

3) Retailers are not always on the up and up.  Sometimes they're just TOO lazy to return tickets which are supposed to be returned to the state....I know of someone who just bought a Holiday (Christmas) theme ticket here in PA a few weeks ago.....yes, a christmas ticket bought in MAY!  That game was out of top winners LONG ago....he just wasted money on a game which should have been pulled from the shelf.  

Yes, I do agree with some of the others when they say "Its the luck of the draw", but there's no reason to waste your time trying to get water from a dry well!  Remember, information can be powerful!