Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Million Mega Ball Analysis?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CA
United States
Member #84266
December 26, 2009
410 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2010, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Has anyone ever plotted the mega ball history into a simple bar graph in an attempt to see a pattern? I personally don't believe there is a pattern to a random event such as balls dropping into the chute but I would like to see what the graph would looks like.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3502 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2010, 3:57 am - IP Logged

You can find the raw data here: http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-stats.asp

If you start by putting the most frequently drawn ball in the center and then alternate  right and left as you continue down the list you'll get a pretty decent bell curve.

You could also plot it as how many numbers were drawn once, twice, three times, and so on.  That would also give you  a pretty decent bell curve.

That's what you would expect, assuming the results are random.

CA
      United States
      Member #84266
      December 26, 2009
      410 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2010, 4:52 am - IP Logged

I didn't have a bell curve in mind but rather just a simple bar graph. The X axis will be the dates (with the first one being the first drawing) and the Y axis will be from 1 to 46. By putting that data into something we can see, it would be easier to notice a pattern. That is if there is a pattern. The sample size might be too small and we might not see a pattern because the 1st sequence isn't finished but who knows.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2010, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

If you maintain a file of the last 508 drawings since the last matrix change then you can view the data many different ways.  Not only can you look at the most popular bonus numbers but their most popular repeat patterns.  This is particularly helpful when reducing the bonus number pool to 10-20 from 46.  I've done this and my odds of hitting the bonus numbers have been significantly better than 1:46.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CA
          United States
          Member #84266
          December 26, 2009
          410 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2010, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Which software are you using? I'm using Expert Lotto and the winning numbers file doesn't seem to be correct.