Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just Be A Player To Win Mega Millions And Powerball

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Avatar
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11978 Posts
Offline
Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:26 am - IP Logged

The fact about lotteries in general is that no matter how high the odds to win the jackpot.  Someone will win and that is a fact.  So there is no point in playing multiple tickets in order to beat the odds.  The odds can't be beat, they always stay the same against every line being played.  You can play $1 or $100 per drawing, you will still face the same odds.  But there is one thing that you can do to win the lottery sooner, you can increase your chances by playing for more money.  You can also lose more in the short run by betting more money per draw.  I usually play 1 line or 5 lines whenever the mega millions and powerball jackpot goes to 60 millions.  I do not believe in expected value when it comes to lottery, because nobody can prevent you from winning when is your time to win regardless of the jackpot amount.  I'm just greedy when it comes to betting my dollar, the lottery better offer some money for my dollar. So in order to win, just be in the game.  GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY.

    RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19826 Posts
    Offline
    Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:34 am - IP Logged

    No one who ever won a top prize playing the lotteries ever regretted playing more than one line.

     * you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 
       
                 Evil Looking       

      guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

      United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Offline
      Posted: May 10, 2010, 11:30 am - IP Logged

      In the sense that it is true; that all you need to do to win is have a winning line, I'm sorry, but I don't buy the statement that you do not increase your odds of winning if you buy more lines.

      Now, I understand a PERSON has X odds of winning - and that is assuming they buy ONE ticket, but you won't be able to convince me that I don't have any better chance of winning if I buy one ticket or 100 tickets.

      When we buy in pools at work, where we have 10-12 people so we buy 10-12 tickets, are you saying we should buy ONE ticket?  Hardly. MOST of the time I win money back it's not on my first line.

        Avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Offline
        Posted: May 11, 2010, 3:33 am - IP Logged

        You have to play to win. It's that simple. You can never increase the odds. You can only increase your chance of winning by buying more tickets.

          Avatar
          NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11978 Posts
          Offline
          Posted: May 11, 2010, 9:42 am - IP Logged

          You have to play to win. It's that simple. You can never increase the odds. You can only increase your chance of winning by buying more tickets.

          Badboyooz, that is exactly my point.  You can't win the lottery if you don't play.  You can never change the odds by buying more tickets.  But like you said, you can increase your chances if you buy more than one ticket.  You might win sooner by playing more, but you can also loose more money in the short run.  So the question should be, is anybody willing to loose more money in the short run to win the lottery?.  I play $5QP once in a while, but i prefer to play one line per draw, the slow and steady way.  You just have to win the jackpot once.  I'll be happy with one jackpot win.  By the way, I'm not trying to say that my observations are better than everybody else.  I'm just exchanging lottery knowledge so we can all win some money.GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

            RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19826 Posts
            Offline
            Posted: May 11, 2010, 10:24 am - IP Logged

            You have to play to win. It's that simple. You can never increase the odds. You can only increase your chance of winning by buying more tickets.

            If you bought every possible combination of a lottery your odds of winning  it would be 1:1 which would also be you chances of winning it too.  If you only bought one ticket or line, your odds of winning it would be 1: every possible combination.  Most players settle for something affordable between those two extremes.  Buying more combinations/lines not only increases your chances of winning but also change your odds of winning.

             * you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 
               
                         Evil Looking       

              Avatar
              NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11978 Posts
              Offline
              Posted: May 11, 2010, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

              If you bought every possible combination of a lottery your odds of winning  it would be 1:1 which would also be you chances of winning it too.  If you only bought one ticket or line, your odds of winning it would be 1: every possible combination.  Most players settle for something affordable between those two extremes.  Buying more combinations/lines not only increases your chances of winning but also change your odds of winning.

              Okay, i totally agree with you that if you bought every possible combination of a lottery your odds of winning will be 1:1, but there is a problem, we do not know for certain what serial number out of every possible combination the winning ticket will be.  Did you know that every lottery line sold has a sequential serial # in it.  That's right, in powerball and mega millions and any other lottery for that matter.  Every ticket has a number in it until we reach the 1:1 of every possible combination sold.  So in other words, you can never buy every possible combination in any lottery when you have other poeple playing too.  Lets say that you and i are the only powerball and mega millions player in the world for a particular drawing.   Remember you and i are competing for the main jackpot, you decide to play 99% of every possible combination to have more chances of winning, and i buy 1% or one line. who do you think that will win the jackpot?  If you say that you will win for certain because you have more chances, you are wrong, bacuse you and i have the same chances of winning the main jackpot until the numbers are drawn.But there is a fact, you might win more prizes because of your x amount of chances, but who say i won't win the jackpot.

                Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1953 Posts
                Offline
                Posted: May 11, 2010, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

                Okay, i totally agree with you that if you bought every possible combination of a lottery your odds of winning will be 1:1, but there is a problem, we do not know for certain what serial number out of every possible combination the winning ticket will be.  Did you know that every lottery line sold has a sequential serial # in it.  That's right, in powerball and mega millions and any other lottery for that matter.  Every ticket has a number in it until we reach the 1:1 of every possible combination sold.  So in other words, you can never buy every possible combination in any lottery when you have other poeple playing too.  Lets say that you and i are the only powerball and mega millions player in the world for a particular drawing.   Remember you and i are competing for the main jackpot, you decide to play 99% of every possible combination to have more chances of winning, and i buy 1% or one line. who do you think that will win the jackpot?  If you say that you will win for certain because you have more chances, you are wrong, bacuse you and i have the same chances of winning the main jackpot until the numbers are drawn.But there is a fact, you might win more prizes because of your x amount of chances, but who say i won't win the jackpot.

                I think you have your math wrong. If RJOh bought 99% of all possible combinations, I would bet on RJOh every single time. You need to keep in mind the odds that are advertised are based on a single line of play, but that doesn't mean everyone's odds are the same. The odds do change the more tickets you buy. If you go to the store and buy a $1 QP for Powerball, your odds will be 1 in 195,249,054. If I go to the store and buy a $2 QP, MY odds are 1 in 97,624,527.

                Gonna win.Big Smile

                  Avatar
                  CA
                  United States
                  Member #84266
                  December 26, 2009
                  410 Posts
                  Offline
                  Posted: May 11, 2010, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

                  If you have enough money to buy every combination then you don't need to play the lottery at all.

                  Odds and chance are two different things. The odds will always be the same no matter how many tickets you buy. Why? Because there will always be only 1 combination that will be the winning combination. Buying more tickets/lines will increase your chances of winning, not your odds.