Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Little discusted...

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by CutlassBob.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Slayer's avatar - olab
Oneida, NY
United States
Member #89915
April 18, 2010
255 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2010, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Yea, I am. My wife and myself noticed something today when redeeming a scratch off. When you give them the ticket, they scan the back of the ticket and it then tells them what amount of money you won. Sure it seems harmless, but whats to say the retailer doesn't scan all the tickets to see if they are big winners or not? All they have to do is scan the back of the ticket. I don't know if all states are like this or not, but I remember before you had to scratch a 4 digit number on the front of the ticket and they enter that number for the amount that you won. We are just noticing that it's changed and now I refuse to buy another scratch off. I am not saying everyone does it, but the possibility is there. Now, where we buy our tickets, the only big winner they had was guy that works there. What are the chances? Maybe I'm wrong, but what if I'm right and it's impossible to win anything because of dishonest retailers.

pattyk's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    Williamstown, NY
    United States
    Member #82142
    November 7, 2009
    335 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2010, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Hello Slayer!!!--I'm glad to see someone on here that's close to where I live. I've worked in retail for over 17 years. I've never been dishonest with any people, I certainly wouldn't want anything like that happening to me.  Most retailers in NY have the new touch screen lottery terminals now, and the terminal requires a 4-diget number if the prize is at least double the amount of the ticket, plus the terminals play the music now for any winner, no matter how big or small. If you want to be sure you are getting the right amount won, just ask the retailer for the print-out slip that automatically comes out for any winner. If the retailer refuses to at least let you see the priintout, then I'd say there is a problem there. Not all retailers are dishonest, but not all are saints either.

Slayer's avatar - olab
      Oneida, NY
      United States
      Member #89915
      April 18, 2010
      255 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2010, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

Hi Patty. I'm sorry, I'm not saying all retailers are dishonest but you never know when you walk into someplace. To me, it just seems as though I don't have a prayer. I'm probably wrong.

pattyk's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
        Williamstown, NY
        United States
        Member #82142
        November 7, 2009
        335 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2010, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Another thing to look for on instant tickets is if the 4-diget number has already been scratched off---that would mean someone has been at least cheking the tickets to see if they're winners. There is an option on these terminals to just inquire on a prize amout, but you need that 4 diget number to find out. Just check your tickets at the time of purchase, and when you're cashing in your winners, check those printout slips, make sure they aren't ripping you off.

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
          Harrison Township Michigan
          United States
          Member #90088
          April 21, 2010
          4265 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2010, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Yea, I am. My wife and myself noticed something today when redeeming a scratch off. When you give them the ticket, they scan the back of the ticket and it then tells them what amount of money you won. Sure it seems harmless, but whats to say the retailer doesn't scan all the tickets to see if they are big winners or not? All they have to do is scan the back of the ticket. I don't know if all states are like this or not, but I remember before you had to scratch a 4 digit number on the front of the ticket and they enter that number for the amount that you won. We are just noticing that it's changed and now I refuse to buy another scratch off. I am not saying everyone does it, but the possibility is there. Now, where we buy our tickets, the only big winner they had was guy that works there. What are the chances? Maybe I'm wrong, but what if I'm right and it's impossible to win anything because of dishonest retailers.

Here in Michigan, sure they scan the barcode on the ticket but under the scratch off material is a xxx-xxxxx-xxx didget they must enter them didgets also to see if it is a winner, then yes there is a print out which is verification of the winning amount. I always ask for the print out.

CutlassBob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.