Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball or Megamillions The odds are against you..

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
Whiskey Island
United States
Member #90216
April 24, 2010
12729 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2010, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

The odds are just to high against you to win.The odds are more in your favor for pick 3,pick 4 ,pick 5,easy 5,cash 5 and Lotto.Over the long run you can win more with these than powerball or megamillions.I've won a lot more with pick 4 than powerball .

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19817 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2010, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

If you want 1:2 odds of winning your dollar back then you flip a coin with your buddy.

If you want odds of 1:220 of winning $50 for $1 then you go for a box hit in pick3.

If you want odds of 1:1000 of winning $500 for $1 then you go for a straight hit in pick3.

You pick the odds and the prize amounts.

Telling people the odds of winning PB's $100,000,000 for $1 are even worst isn't telling them something they didn't already know.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5588 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2010, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

The odds are just to high against you to win.The odds are more in your favor for pick 3,pick 4 ,pick 5,easy 5,cash 5 and Lotto.Over the long run you can win more with these than powerball or megamillions.I've won a lot more with pick 4 than powerball .

I have always liked to play P3 and P4 but frankly, I have to limit what I spend. I know I can win P3 straight once or twice a year and make a small profit, but if I'm going to spend a dollar, and I do have to watch what I spend, I'd rather spend it on a game that has the potential to win me retirement type money.

Nothing wrong with any of the games, it just comes down to which game is the most fun for a person to play if he can't play all of them.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
        Member #61232
        May 16, 2008
        126 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2010, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

The thought of winning Pick 4 or Cash 5 does nothing for me.  When I think about winning PB or MM...  well, I'll just say it really gets me going.  Party

Different strokes for different folks.

stephi's avatar - winifrid
          rural lowcountry, south carolina
          United States
          Member #31677
          February 2, 2006
          196 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2010, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Odds whatever. One time I played 100 numbers @ 50 cents a pop straight on the p3. I won nada, had I chose box as well, I would've won nada as well. For a year there I listened to the odds arguement and played and spent time on the 5/38 game. I did just the same as I did with Powerball. Now this year, this month specifically I've gone back to my game of choice, the Powerball. I love the allure of the Powerball. The little games do not have that allure. And I want to be able to leave my stressful job with just one win. Can't do that with those little games.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49642 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2010, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

The Evens are against you, as well as the Odds!

To Win It though: You have to be In It!

No Ticket: No Chance to Win the jackpot!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

The odds for the jack pot games are high but there are always winners. It just doesn't happen to you. It's always someone else. Lol.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2010, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

The odds for the jack pot games are high but there are always winners. It just doesn't happen to you. It's always someone else. Lol.

Now that was cold badboy, lol.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11975 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2010, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Do not let math fool you.  MEGA MILLIONS 1 in 175 millions odds to win the jackpot, and POWERBALL 1 in 195 millions odds to win the jackpot.  Someone will win, that is a fact.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: May 26, 2010, 8:21 am - IP Logged

Well, the Mega Millions jackpot was won last night, on only the sixth draw in the run.  I knew it would be won by someone seeing as all the number drawn were under 30, with the Mega Ball of 25 being the highest number picked.

---

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

This was the 4th drawing in 2010 that  resulted in all birthday numbers, but the first that also produced a winner. In 2009 there were 6 drawings that were all birthday numbers, and not one of them resulted in a winner. In 2008 there were 3 drawings with birthday numbers, one of which had a winner.  Overall that's 13 drawings and 2 winners, for an average chance of 1 in 6.5. In that same period there have been 31 winners out of 250, for an overall average of once every 8 drawings.

There's no question that a lot of people play birthday numbers, but 70% to 80% of tickets are QP's. The birthday numbers account for less than 3% of the possible combinations, so we can figure that 97% of QP's won't be (all) birthday numbers. It's also a safe bet that even with the people who choose birthday numbers many also use a "lucky number" that is higher than 31. While drawing all birthday numbers certainly makes a winner a bit more likely, it's only by a  small margin. I occasionally see the results and think somebody had to have played those numbers, but th ereality is that there are so many combinations that  even when all birthday numbers are drawn a rollover is much more likely than a winner until sales get very high.