Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Honeymooners episode...made me think of lotto and some threads here at LP

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2010, 2:53 am - IP Logged

There's an old episode of the Honeymooners where Jsackie Gleason and Art Carney.....Ralph and Norton hear about a new highway coming into the neighborhood and think that it would make a great location for a hot dog stand.

They borrow $300 which was big money back then, and buy a hot dog cart. They think about all the money they are going to make, what a great deal it's going to be, and why no one else had thought of it.

At the end of the episode they are sitting next to their hot dog cart, by themselves, with no one else even nearby, and looking up at the traffic going across the new overpass.

All their scheming didn't even consider the new road going overhead.

Now let's say the hot dog stand is "systems".

He who has ears ley him hear.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2680 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2010, 6:57 am - IP Logged

There's an old episode of the Honeymooners where Jsackie Gleason and Art Carney.....Ralph and Norton hear about a new highway coming into the neighborhood and think that it would make a great location for a hot dog stand.

They borrow $300 which was big money back then, and buy a hot dog cart. They think about all the money they are going to make, what a great deal it's going to be, and why no one else had thought of it.

At the end of the episode they are sitting next to their hot dog cart, by themselves, with no one else even nearby, and looking up at the traffic going across the new overpass.

Big Grin thanks I needed the grin this morning after getting skunked by the powerball once again Roll Eyes

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1654 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2010, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Proper information and planning is vital in most everything and this is where they fell short. Actually, Ralph should've been briefed on the highway at his workplace because he was a bus driver...AND IT'S HIS JOB TO KNOW THE CITY, what's going on, and routing directives based on developments.

Man, looks like EVERYBODY dropped the ball on that one!! Oh, that's right. We're only talkin' television here. In Ralph's famous words!!...BANG...ZOOM!!!!

You know, I had a little lemonade/cool-aid stand when I was little...just like some others did. But, I needed a way to get that edge on 'em, 'Toss. Gotta get that edge!!! So, I utilized my resources,and, at the right times I'd spike mine with some Vodka or Rum!!!!Green laugh

Even on cold, rainy days I had good business!!!! Gotta know how to work it, 'Toss!!!!Cheers

L.L.

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2010, 10:32 am - IP Logged

LL,

I think the deal was Ralph heard about the new road at the bus company, in fact, but yeah, didn't get all the info.

Until one of our systems advocates here hits a kackpot I'll consider all the systems still sitting under the overpass.

And when our first member that hits a jackpot with a QP, they'll be permanently under the overpass.

Officer, there's a young child over here spiking his lemonade with liquor.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1654 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2010, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

LL,

I think the deal was Ralph heard about the new road at the bus company, in fact, but yeah, didn't get all the info.

Until one of our systems advocates here hits a kackpot I'll consider all the systems still sitting under the overpass.

And when our first member that hits a jackpot with a QP, they'll be permanently under the overpass.

Officer, there's a young child over here spiking his lemonade with liquor.

I hear ya, buddy, and there are no hard feelins'. Mind you, that hitting a JACKPOT with a system is much different and extremely harder than hitting Pick 3/4 with some regularity. I really hope you understand this because it's based solely on the total number of possibilities.

I will respect your views on the systems because it falls in the same category as I told someone else. Also, DeltaDown made it very clear. Just because YOU understand numbers and/or the lottery ONE WAY doesn't mean that others can hit it from a different angle and obtain see success. Numbers have infinite solutions and if you argue with that, you'll argue with a WELCOME MAT.

Yeah, I did get into a little trouble behind that lemonade deal, 'Toss. See, I'm honest. But, you know what? I still made more money than anyone else selling the same thing. Didn't hurt that I was using my grandmother's recipe for lemonade either...which she still uses to this day and makes money off of it.

Many ways to do things better, 'Toss. Many ways. Just have to find them and utilize your resources. Simple.

L.L.

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10392 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2010, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Oh, all true, LL. I don't know how many times I've seen things where knowledge of a game and knowledge of the odds couldn't touch plain old luck, to the point it makes you wonder where's the justice, you know?

I've told his story before, but for a brief period one summer there was a dog track near Vegas. Our pit boss went out there and couldn't do anything wrong. He'd never bet on dogs before and was having a ball.

After about five straight wins one of the guys sitting near him asked how he was picking the dogs and he pointed to some info in the racing form, mentioning "look at this dog's time". They guy said, "That's not the dog's time, that's his weight".

Green laugh

Lep

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2010, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Oh, all true, LL. I don't know how many times I've seen things where knowledge of a game and knowledge of the odds couldn't touch plain old luck, to the point it makes you wonder where's the justice, you know?

I've told his story before, but for a brief period one summer there was a dog track near Vegas. Our pit boss went out there and couldn't do anything wrong. He'd never bet on dogs before and was having a ball.

After about five straight wins one of the guys sitting near him asked how he was picking the dogs and he pointed to some info in the racing form, mentioning "look at this dog's time". They guy said, "That's not the dog's time, that's his weight".

Green laugh

Ha ha.....I'm learning all about the pups, and in reading this, I couldn't help but laugh so hard...lol

Considering the dogs weigh an average of 60 to 80 pounds, and the average time is about 30 seconds...lol 

Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1654 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2010, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

LOL That's pretty good! Things like that do happen and I never said they couldn't. As far as I know, most people that have won a jackpot did, in fact, win on a QP. I'd never attempt to try and arrange numbers on such a larger scale. Why? Because, just a month ago, I got (5) QP's and got within 1-2 of all the winning numbers! Go figure.

In the end, though, it does pay to apply some common math to these smaller games...that's what they're based on. I'd love to spend $20 on a str8 and get it even semi-consistently, 'Toss. We're talkin $480 profit!! These types of hits are far and few between FOR THE SAME PERSON, though.

Check this out. With a person playing boxed, and they spend $20 per day (approx.) for three days, this totals $60. On the fourth day, they hit boxed for say...$175. The reality is that this person has only really made $115 in true profit because they've spent a total of $60 before they hit. But, people get so caught up in the moment that they don't take these things into account.

Nobody here is robbing the lotteries, and, especially not me. It costs me to make what I do. Believe that. When it's all said and done after money spent, nobody's a genius because it still costs and the lottery has the edge. The state is the ONLY ENTITY which makes 100% in profit...PERIOD.

I enjoy discussing things this way...Thumbs Up

L.L. 

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2010, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Lucky Loser,

Oh I hear you. I wish, as I'm sure many others do, that there was a way for the $1 - $5 Pick 3 player to know they could make even just a couple of hits a week, box or straight.

No taxes, np paper work, nobody knows anything. Might even be tempted, of that was the case, to make a deal with the Lottery Fairy and stop chasing the big jackpots as long as the Pick 3 payoffs kept coming.

I remember reading that when all is said and done the average American finishes the year $500 to $1,000 deeper in debt than when they started it (not counting a house or car purchase). Also that most people would be in much better shape with even just an extra $300 a month, but taking on a PT job with more gas and other expenses doesn't generate that much.

Lep