Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

National Lottery

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami, FLA
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
678 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2010, 6:25 am - IP Logged

A few months ago there was a story posted here about a national lottery possibly being launched this fall. Any news on that?

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51029 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2010, 7:18 am - IP Logged

A few months ago there was a story posted here about a national lottery possibly being launched this fall. Any news on that?

We have Two National Lotteries: Megamillions & PowerBall!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Miami, FLA
      United States
      Member #62793
      July 9, 2008
      678 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2010, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

We have Two National Lotteries: Megamillions & PowerBall!

Thanks, Raven

I don't know what I'd do without your insight.

I meant the THIRD big lottery in ADDITION to those that would be NATIONAL. It was announced last year.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51029 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2010, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Raven

I don't know what I'd do without your insight.

I meant the THIRD big lottery in ADDITION to those that would be NATIONAL. It was announced last year.

Please provide a link to the Announcement!

United States
          Member #88193
          March 11, 2010
          5 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2010, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I remember hearing about the prospect of a National Lottery as well...it was mentioned by lottery officials around the time that the Powerball/Mega Millions cross-selling agreement was announced.

I don't think there has been any new info on this recently, but I googled "Powerball cross sell" and came up with a statement from last January by Margaret DeFrancisco, co-chair of a committee for both lotteries and president and CEO of the Georgia Lottery Corp that states:

"DeFrancisco said that assuming customers like the change, lottery officials will soon focus on a true national lottery. They hope that will happen by spring 2011, but haven't sorted out many details, including a name or drawing frequency."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10390 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2010, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

When it was announced that PB and MM would be available in the same states there was some discussions here about it maybe leading to or being a marketing test of sorts for a national lottery.

I don't see why we don't have one.

Heck, sell the tickets via vending machines at post offices if need be.

My only concern is if a super hype job of possible jackpots making players not realize the matrix they'd be up against would be even worse than existing ones.

We once had a poll here about what size matrix would keep you from playing and quite a dew people said, "There would never be one."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8392 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2010, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

a link to the story.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/208002/1538483?q=national+lottery&tab=nw&rp=search

oh BTY There is a national lottery it's in the UK though.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                Miami, FLA
                United States
                Member #62793
                July 9, 2008
                678 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2010, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Please provide a link to the Announcement!

It was sometime last year, and it was posted by Todd.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  51029 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2010, 8:27 am - IP Logged

If their was a National Lottery: Would they force States that don't currently have a Lottery to have one?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2010, 9:33 am - IP Logged

If their was a National Lottery: Would they force States that don't currently have a Lottery to have one?

That depends on who's in office.

Currently a National Lottery would probably be mandatory in all regards and ticket costs debited directly from your bank account.

Bill Clinton would be dispatched on a promotional campaign to explain how it's "for the environment" or "for the children" so we'd feel good about it and not complain.

Once that bridge has been crossed we can then move right into paying Social Security recipients with scratch-off tickets.

Yes we can (si se puede) my comrades, yes we can (si se puede).

Let's all join hands now, gently sway back and forth and sing We Are The World.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Miami, FLA
                      United States
                      Member #62793
                      July 9, 2008
                      678 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2010, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

That depends on who's in office.

Currently a National Lottery would probably be mandatory in all regards and ticket costs debited directly from your bank account.

Bill Clinton would be dispatched on a promotional campaign to explain how it's "for the environment" or "for the children" so we'd feel good about it and not complain.

Once that bridge has been crossed we can then move right into paying Social Security recipients with scratch-off tickets.

Yes we can (si se puede) my comrades, yes we can (si se puede).

Let's all join hands now, gently sway back and forth and sing We Are The World.

Yikes!

Red, that bitterness is eventually gonna kill you. Yes IT can.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2010, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

LOL It's all in fun my friend.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                          San Angelo, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #1097
                          January 31, 2003
                          1405 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2010, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I think we have missed the point - the National game would not be a government-run lottery.
                          My interpretation of the remarks is that the MM and PB folks would collaborate and introduce a third jackpot
                          game.
                          States that don't have a lottery wouldn't be obligated to join.
                          So, it doesn't matter who is president.
                          The Post Office wouldn't sell tickets.

I'm in Texas, a state that has a governor who thumbs his nose at federal money. Therefore, Texas would
                          probably be the first to implement the game.

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            51029 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2010, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Yikes!

Red, that bitterness is eventually gonna kill you. Yes IT can.

If it does: You can request a Bugler for the Funeral Here:

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org