Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Excel question

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 7 years ago by phileight.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
Connecticut
United States
Member #61623
May 29, 2008
20581 Posts
Posted: June 1, 2010, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm trying to make cell B and C count but don't understand where/how to put the argument

I want to put digits in A B and C...

D is the "counter" column and E is the  digits 1 thru 0 column..all I have so far in column D is             ..=COUNTIF(A:A,E1) which works for row A

Can I include B and C  within this equation somehow or do I have to make a separate one?

Any Help would be appreciated

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51060 Posts
    Posted: June 1, 2010, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm trying to make cell B and C count but don't understand where/how to put the argument

I want to put digits in A B and C...

D is the "counter" column and E is the  digits 1 thru 0 column..all I have so far in column D is             ..=COUNTIF(A:A,E1) which works for row A

Can I include B and C  within this equation somehow or do I have to make a separate one?

Any Help would be appreciated

=COUNTIF(A:C,E1)

Learning Excel? Thumbs Up

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
      Connecticut
      United States
      Member #61623
      May 29, 2008
      20581 Posts
      Posted: June 1, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

=COUNTIF(A:C,E1)

Learning Excel? Thumbs Up

Thank you!..yes slowly but surely..I just have a hell of time remembering what the colons..semicolons commas etc represent..as soon as I have to backtrack and search online for tidbits,I lose my train of thought..

I forgot to mention I'm using 2003..when i input your equation,it highlighted the desired area to count and I hit ctrl/shift/enter after i entered it but it still only does column A...however ,it initially responded(meaning a,b,and c were being counted) when I added =COUNTIF(A:C,E1:E10).I was able to paste it down the column but I ended up wrecking it doing something else and can't remember what I did

Thanks for your help!..I'll be toying with it after work tomorrow

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

United States
        Member #41846
        June 23, 2006
        460 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2010, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

try entering you function then press enter

with this function the a:c define the range you want to compare.   the range would be entered as a1:c10  or what ever range  you want.  the ,e1 tells it what to compare to .  if you had 10 sets of numbers to check the formula or function would be   =countif(a1:c10,e1)  second line would be  =countif(a1:c10,e2)  etc   finish each entry with enter.

to use copy and paste you will need to tell excel that a1:c10 is a constant that does not change

the first entry would be    =countif($a$1:$c$10,e1)      with this you can copy and paste  the e1 will change with each row the a and c will not