Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So you won a jackpot! Congrats!

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3690 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2010, 10:27 am - IP Logged

If you win a large jackpot, you'll be celebrated, not to mention targetted.

If cant take your winnings anonymously, how would you go about becomming an obscure person again, just as you were prior to becomming wealthy?  Some people "hide"after they win a large sum of money.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2010, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive,

It's nt that people are ignoring you but this has been discussed here ad nauseam.

Just go to Resources, Search for somehing by clicking on Resources on the blue bar on top of the page, and search "remaining anonymous" or anything similar.

Basically, remain anonymous, if you can't, keep a low profile, don't flaunt the windfall, don't run out and buy a mansion and a fleet of cars.

I've posted this before but still say it's time for a Jackpot Winner's Protection Program.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I've posted this before but still say it's time for a Jackpot Winner's Protection Program.

What's different about a lottery millionaire from any other millionaire? Millionaires who want protection can afford to contract with a private security firm and live in gated or protected communities.  Such protection should be paid for by those who benefit from it or want it, not lotteries or tax payers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2010, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

RJOH,

A few things would make a lottery millionaire different from other millionaires. First off, they became millionaires in one fell swoop, instantly.

This would make them "nouvdeau riche", or new money. Old money tends to look down on new money.Old money knows how to handle money, new money often does not.

By the time a jackpot winner appeared at a press confernce and started looking for lawyers and financial advisers (even if they had them in advance) they would have gotten pounded and houned ferociously. This has been seen over and over on The Lottery Changed My Life and The Curse of the Lottery on TLC.

As for the protection being paid for, it wouldn't be taxpayers or the lottery that would fund a Jackpot Winner's Protection Program, it would be a fee paid out of the jackpot winnings.

Considering that all communications, including the press conference, would go through the program it would be well worth it.

No difference at all from trying to get a hold of a coporate CEO or a celebrity who is "sheltered".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #26330
          November 16, 2005
          330 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2010, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

If you win a large jackpot, you'll be celebrated, not to mention targetted.

If cant take your winnings anonymously, how would you go about becomming an obscure person again, just as you were prior to becomming wealthy?  Some people "hide"after they win a large sum of money.

Fake Moustache....Beard..and Glasses....HAHAHAH  JK......

NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3690 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2010, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

Thanks for your input..... I'm a newbie to LP, but I should have realized many folks here have already been down the road I wanted to go down.

A member of LP has a signature line that says something to the effect of "Set up a trust, hire a lawyer to represent the trust and claim the prize, and tell no one, not even your relatives"....  Excellent advice!

But I dunno about not telling my relatives.  Consider the following;

I never could keep a secret from my immediate family, and I still cant!

Then there's my two brothers.  They both live in the same town I do. They know what I can and cant afford. Sooner or later they'll see me show up with things they never saw me with before.  They'd have to wonder where all the money was comming from. I can easily see one of them asking me: "Whudyado? Win the lottery?"  Suppose I could keep a secret, and I didnt tell my brothers. In order to for them not to become suspicious, I'd have to maintain the lifestyle I currently can afford. That deprives me of all the fun of having won big. Shoot! I aint playin the lottery because I want to keep on living like I do today!! Are you? ;-) 

Give5

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2010, 12:07 am - IP Logged

GiveFive,

First, this quote comes to mind:

"Success is a relative term.
              It brings so many relatives."
              - Anonymous

How true.

The situation you describe is certainly a sticky wicket. There's been threads here about two series that are shown on TLC, the Learninng Channel, Hoe the Lottery Changed My Life, and the Curse of the Lottery. Most of the programs are follow up interviews with jackpot winners, and large scratcher prize winners.

One lady in St Louis kept saying when you win family from then on considers you their ATM. Another winner said he had been very generous and given several people $1,000,000 each, and every single one came back asking for more.

Those thuings don't help with not aming lifestyle changes but are definitley things to keep in mind.

For some very ointeresting information go to the Missouri lottery website and look up what to do when you win. They actually advise blowing town for awhile, among other things.

Lep

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2010, 12:30 am - IP Logged

In Texas the only way to claim anonymously is to set up a blind trust, which if I won I don't think I'd do. The most I would do is just wait a while after I won to turn in the ticket, somewhere around 4-5 months (wouldn't want to wait too long or else news stories would pick it up again as here you only have 6 months to claim prizes). Maybe I could time it with a major news story so that would get more attention than a lottery winner claiming the jackpot.

It would be nice to not have people bothering you with wanting money but I'm pretty positive I could do it. I'd also kind of want to have some people know so all those people that looked down or wouldn't give me the time of day would show their true greedy self and try to get on my good side and I could just laugh and carry on.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2010, 1:29 am - IP Logged

ttech10,

In one of the discussions here about trusts someone mentioned that it's still kind of a public record in that people that really wanted to know can find out the names of the people that make up a trust.

One of the smartest things I remember being said here was the ideal jackpot to win is a MM or PB right after it was pumped up and goes back to 12 or 20 million dollars. The thinking is that the big winner is still getting the publicity and no one cares about your "paltry" jackpot.

Lep

United States
                    Member #85338
                    January 13, 2010
                    143 Posts
                    Posted: June 21, 2010, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

In Texas the only way to claim anonymously is to set up a blind trust, which if I won I don't think I'd do. The most I would do is just wait a while after I won to turn in the ticket, somewhere around 4-5 months (wouldn't want to wait too long or else news stories would pick it up again as here you only have 6 months to claim prizes). Maybe I could time it with a major news story so that would get more attention than a lottery winner claiming the jackpot.

It would be nice to not have people bothering you with wanting money but I'm pretty positive I could do it. I'd also kind of want to have some people know so all those people that looked down or wouldn't give me the time of day would show their true greedy self and try to get on my good side and I could just laugh and carry on.

I can understand wanting to make certain people feel low after winning the lottery. They treat you like dirt and now you you have the money and to some extent, the "power" to make someone bow down at your mercy.  I used to feel that way and I think that is why I haven't won the big jackpot.  I don't think that way anymore because I wouldn't want to win, be proud and mighty and then fall down a steeper hill. Jack Whitaker comes to mind, he had money before, put himself in the spotlight too many times. I am sure he had enemies before the win and now they probably look at him as a total joke.

Sure, there are many people that have looked down on me or wouldn't give me the time of day, however I still wouldn't want them to know that I won.  If they were that kind of person before, their jealousy may make them more hostile toward me and do everything in their power to unsettle me..  I wouldn't even laugh at the fact that they know I won, it's like revealing my hand.  If they came knocking for a handout with hat in hand, I wouldn't oblige the request, but I would not revel in the denial of the request. If I gave to a charity, I would not want the pomp and circumstance, a name on the building, I would just want a receipt to show the IRS. Keeping more of my money from the IRS and doing good with it is a win win.

While this sounds selfish, I would try to take care of myself first. By this, I mean, not going hog wild into buying everything I see. If I'm too wrapped up in knowing that people who have treated me poorly feel bad because I won, then I am not taking care of my mental well being, I am just bent on spite. By taking care of myself I would then be able to reasonably and rationally be able to take care of my kids. Knowing when to say "No" so that they don't fall.

United States
                      Member #85338
                      January 13, 2010
                      143 Posts
                      Posted: June 21, 2010, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

ttech10,

In one of the discussions here about trusts someone mentioned that it's still kind of a public record in that people that really wanted to know can find out the names of the people that make up a trust.

One of the smartest things I remember being said here was the ideal jackpot to win is a MM or PB right after it was pumped up and goes back to 12 or 20 million dollars. The thinking is that the big winner is still getting the publicity and no one cares about your "paltry" jackpot.

Missouri lottery helpful hints say that you are generally more likely to get hounded by a jackpot win of $50MM or more.

United States
                        Member #85338
                        January 13, 2010
                        143 Posts
                        Posted: June 21, 2010, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

Thanks for your input..... I'm a newbie to LP, but I should have realized many folks here have already been down the road I wanted to go down.

A member of LP has a signature line that says something to the effect of "Set up a trust, hire a lawyer to represent the trust and claim the prize, and tell no one, not even your relatives"....  Excellent advice!

But I dunno about not telling my relatives.  Consider the following;

I never could keep a secret from my immediate family, and I still cant!

Then there's my two brothers.  They both live in the same town I do. They know what I can and cant afford. Sooner or later they'll see me show up with things they never saw me with before.  They'd have to wonder where all the money was comming from. I can easily see one of them asking me: "Whudyado? Win the lottery?"  Suppose I could keep a secret, and I didnt tell my brothers. In order to for them not to become suspicious, I'd have to maintain the lifestyle I currently can afford. That deprives me of all the fun of having won big. Shoot! I aint playin the lottery because I want to keep on living like I do today!! Are you? ;-) 

Give5

With family that knows what I can afford and not afford, I would get of Dodge soon after winning or you could lead a double life.

Keep the current home and lifestyle.  Get yourself a little getaway where you coud keep those neat little toys you could now afford to buy....Nobody but you needs to know.

United States
                          Member #85338
                          January 13, 2010
                          143 Posts
                          Posted: June 22, 2010, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

With family that knows what I can afford and not afford, I would get of Dodge soon after winning or you could lead a double life.

Keep the current home and lifestyle.  Get yourself a little getaway where you coud keep those neat little toys you could now afford to buy....Nobody but you needs to know.

That should read "get out of Dodge"

NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3690 Posts
                            Posted: June 22, 2010, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

That should read "get out of Dodge"

Ya know, the last Dodge I got outta was a 1984 Charger.  An lemme tell ya, it was as screwed up as a snake in a lawnmower!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!