Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Utility for checking pick 6 ticket files?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 6 years ago by mabman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Canada
Member #12229
March 8, 2005
28 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2010, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I'm looking for a utility that will prompt for a Pick 6 winning number with bonus number, and then prompt the user to check the winning number against a specified tab/comma-delimited text file of tickets (potentially several thousand ticket combos), and output the number of total 3/4/4+B/5/5+B/6 matches (broken out), and also preferably which ticket numbers or at least line number in the text file it matched.

I've been looking around and I've found a few that mostly do this, but want the user to enter the ticket numbers manually instead of from a file (not going to work if thousands are involved).

Surely people here are using something like this already - what do you use for this?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2010, 12:48 am - IP Logged

Just build a simple Macro in an Excel spreadsheet to do it.  You could probably whip it up in under an hour.  Plus, Excel is great at important text files.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Canada
      Member #12229
      March 8, 2005
      28 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2010, 8:49 am - IP Logged

I potentially could, but some of my ticket files will likely exceed 65535 entries - Excel versions prior to 2007 only support 65535 rows (I don't have 2007), as does OpenOffice Calc. (I'm testing some things, I realize that volume of tickets isn't terribly practical.)

Actually I had written a stand-alone app to do this several years ago, but I think that hard drive died some time ago :(

I'm asking if something like this currently exists without me having to rewrite it, because I broke a bone in 1 wrist this week, and long periods of 2-handed typing is somewhat painful and definitely awkward, and doing it 1-handed will take me quite some time.

Canada
        Member #12229
        March 8, 2005
        28 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

I've knocked together a small Perl script to do this; there doesn't seem to be a way to attach a file to this reply, so if anyone else wants it, PM me.