Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NOT A SYSTEM - But what sells systems

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 6 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2010, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm putting this in Discussions because it's not about any particular system, the mechanics of any system, and not even about lotto, per se, but the mentality behind this is what system sellers know.

This is from Chuck shepherd's News of the Weird:

Sucker nation
TheNew Living Expo in San Francisco in May showcased such"healthy-living"breakthroughs as a $1,200 machine promising to sucktoxins out of yourbody; a $249 silver amulet to protect you from"deadly" cell phoneradiation; and a $15,000 Turbo Sonic if your redblood cells need to be"de-clumped." A Canadian study at the same timefound that 97 per centof the people who admitted buying "anti-aging"products did not thinkthey would work but nevertheless confessed theirneed to hope likethose who "hope" the viper-venom derived $525 EuokoY-30 Intense LiftConcentrate will prolong their lives.

////////////////////////////

See any parallels here?

A Canadian study at the same time found that 97 per cent ofthe people who admitted buying "anti-aging" products did not think theywould work but nevertheless confessed their need to hope like those who"hope" the viper-venom derived $525 Euoko Y-30 Intense LiftConcentratewill prolong their lives.

Thinks about that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
    Member #1987
    August 5, 2003
    8968 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2010, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

You know it seems that whatever the biggest fear craze is at the moment the someones will put together a "solution". Most of the time it is not the product that sells but the wording that is used in telling what the product will do. For example, "erase wrinkles", "roll back the clock at least 5-10 years", "no more trying to figure out what #s to play", "this system takes the guess work out of selecting #s", "end the fear of losing forever! (well maybe not forever, but most of the time)" LOL! Whatever the struggle, as long as it is mentioned in the ad & the reader can relate to the problem...BOOM!...that's a sale because it agrees with what the reader wants to hear.   

United States
      Member #81843
      October 31, 2009
      856 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2010, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Remember the snake oil salesman in little big man?

DD

Free is a very good price.

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40299 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2010, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Remember the snake oil salesman in little big man?

DD

Free is a very good price.

I like the elixar salesman in the ... Outlaw Josey Wales!

Chief Dan George says 'YOU DRINK IT"

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2010, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I like those bracelets that cure pain everywhere in your body.

Take it from me though, don't try puttin one around your neck.

I think I done permanent damage to my Adams Apple.

And I didn't have no pain there before but I dam sure got it now.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40299 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2010, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I got some magnatized hematite, big thick braclet, now I'm lopsided because one arm is bigger than the other from lugging it around.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1648 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2010, 2:57 am - IP Logged

I'm putting this in Discussions because it's not about any particular system, the mechanics of any system, and not even about lotto, per se, but the mentality behind this is what system sellers know.

This is from Chuck shepherd's News of the Weird:

Sucker nation
              TheNew Living Expo in San Francisco in May showcased such"healthy-living"breakthroughs as a $1,200 machine promising to sucktoxins out of yourbody; a $249 silver amulet to protect you from"deadly" cell phoneradiation; and a $15,000 Turbo Sonic if your redblood cells need to be"de-clumped." A Canadian study at the same timefound that 97 per centof the people who admitted buying "anti-aging"products did not thinkthey would work but nevertheless confessed theirneed to hope likethose who "hope" the viper-venom derived $525 EuokoY-30 Intense LiftConcentrate will prolong their lives.

////////////////////////////

See any parallels here?

A Canadian study at the same time found that 97 per cent ofthe people who admitted buying "anti-aging" products did not think theywould work but nevertheless confessed their need to hope like those who"hope" the viper-venom derived $525 Euoko Y-30 Intense LiftConcentratewill prolong their lives.

Thinks about that.

CT, the problem with all those pro's is that there are also cons which are never discussed. These marketers feed on people's hope and desperation and this is what sells stuff like that. There is only a small percentage of things on this Earth which are "all good" with no bad. In this same respect, too much of anything is not good for you.

Everything has its' drawbacks...everything.

L.L.

CA
                United States
                Member #84266
                December 26, 2009
                410 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2010, 3:31 am - IP Logged

Where would the world be without dumb and naive people?? lol

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3102 Posts
                  Posted: June 27, 2010, 4:19 am - IP Logged

One of the reasons for this is the medical profession is also full of quacks.

From Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird:

"Under Britain's Depertment of Health guidelines, prisoners about to be released, and who had previously taken drugs but cured their addiction while incarcerated, are being purposely re-addicted by wardens.  According to researchers, the former addicts will then be less likely to overdose when they get back on the street.  Reportedly, more then 460 prisoners have been "re-toxified" in the last five years."

Sometimes people get better anyway and sometimes belief goes a long way toward people trying to get better if they believe something is helping.

Take the asile of auto quackery that is supposed to make your car feel better.  Sometimes it works, but there will always be a consequence price to pay later.

When it comes to lottery, remember the only mathematical way to improve your odds of winning is to buy more unique tickets.  Any system that causes you to buy more unique tickets IS improving your odds of winning something. 

BobP

JAP69's avatar - alas
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #6
                    November 4, 2001
                    8790 Posts
                    Posted: June 27, 2010, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Sales pitch sells.

Think of Robin Leach pumping up the guy living the lifestyle of the rich and famous with $100.00 in his pocket.

Green laugh

WHATT

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1648 Posts
                      Posted: June 27, 2010, 9:34 am - IP Logged

One of the reasons for this is the medical profession is also full of quacks.

From Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird:

"Under Britain's Depertment of Health guidelines, prisoners about to be released, and who had previously taken drugs but cured their addiction while incarcerated, are being purposely re-addicted by wardens.  According to researchers, the former addicts will then be less likely to overdose when they get back on the street.  Reportedly, more then 460 prisoners have been "re-toxified" in the last five years."

Sometimes people get better anyway and sometimes belief goes a long way toward people trying to get better if they believe something is helping.

Take the asile of auto quackery that is supposed to make your car feel better.  Sometimes it works, but there will always be a consequence price to pay later.

When it comes to lottery, remember the only mathematical way to improve your odds of winning is to buy more unique tickets.  Any system that causes you to buy more unique tickets IS improving your odds of winning something. 

BobP

BobP

/////////////////////////////////////

BobP, man, you'd better be careful about sayin' stuff like that. I'm just tryin' to give you a heads up. If you'll look around, you'll see where I've said the exact same thing, and, even said that waiting on particular draws also improves your odds of winning. Compile these methods together and one can do well with this game.

Everyone, except me, can say this, that, and the other thing makes sense and works. If I say it, it's B.S. and I'm trying to con, mislead, be the "expert", etc etc.

Now, watch this. I'm gonna get doused with scalding hot water mixed with LYE and HONEY...then I'll get hung with BARBED wire on my already tarnished skin for reinforcing what you said here.

Just watch...

L.L.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3102 Posts
                        Posted: June 28, 2010, 4:36 am - IP Logged

BobP

/////////////////////////////////////

BobP, man, you'd better be careful about sayin' stuff like that. I'm just tryin' to give you a heads up. If you'll look around, you'll see where I've said the exact same thing, and, even said that waiting on particular draws also improves your odds of winning. Compile these methods together and one can do well with this game.

Everyone, except me, can say this, that, and the other thing makes sense and works. If I say it, it's B.S. and I'm trying to con, mislead, be the "expert", etc etc.

Now, watch this. I'm gonna get doused with scalding hot water mixed with LYE and HONEY...then I'll get hung with BARBED wire on my already tarnished skin for reinforcing what you said here.

Just watch...

L.L.

LOL!!  I included that comment because it is how the lotto con artists escape prosecution for selling systems so bogus even system buyers become PO'd enough to try and turn the con men in.  That's why I said "mathematical" because I believe there are other ways of improving one's chances that can not be proven or are balanced mathematically so no gains can be demonstrated yet are clear to anyone who gives it a fair review.   Say you notice draws swing from trending high to trending low, never know what the next draw will be, but it's a way to play and when you're correct your chances are improved.   When wrong you have little or no chance and that balances the game, except you only have to win once, not prove you can do it over and over again.   BobP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: June 28, 2010, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Not lotto, but regarding systems, I've seen this one "dressed up" as many different things, and a great example of sell the sizzle, not the steak.

The "system" is simply the old doulbre up to catch up. In the business these are known as Martingales, and those that sell them never tell people about house limits, that kill such systems.

One of the first hype jobs I saw on this was a seller in the Bahamas who created a yarn abiut his parents escaping from cuba and not having anything ldeft to pay Castro's guards with, already having used all their posessions and gold as bribes. So to get on the last boat out, they told these guards how to play baccarat (or any other game) by using this system.

This system is sold with many different accompaying stories but always come down to the Martingale.

In lotto, there seems to be at least a few people peddling the "Eight numbers for the Pick 3" but oddly, touting different sets of the eight numbers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2010, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Where would the world be without dumb and naive people?? lol

Whaaatt????!!! No Dumb or Naive People???!!!  

Get me out of here!!! I'm in the wrong Place!!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina