Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Crooks stealing instant Scratch off tickets From Conveince Stores in NYC

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 6 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NYSlugger 777's avatar - 777
NY
United States
Member #54513
August 21, 2007
6371 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2010, 2:18 am - IP Logged

I read the news a few days ago but now that these creeps still havent been caught I have decided to post the story. Form what I read a few days ago the scam artists works the scam similar to this...

The crooks walk into a store that sells lottery and asks for a large amount of scratchoff tickets to purchase. Once the Lotto clerk gets them puts them onto the counter he then distracts them by asking a question such as "  Can you please get me some rubberbands" . Once the Lotto clerk has their back turned he switches the New Scratchoffs with his own scratchoffs that have already been scratched but with a new scratchoff ticket at the very top to make it seem as if he hasnt switched them. He then says something like " Oh I forgot my money in the car hold onto them for me while I go get it" and then leaves the store with the new scratchoff tickets in possesion and never returns . It isnt only one guy news said that he works in a group with 2 or 3 other people

This story really angers me as he is stealing form the New York State Lottery and also the public and it is upsetting me a lot. I really want these guys to be brought to justice and they deserve to spend a lto of time in prison for what the have done. I am goign to post the link to the story that has a video of the suspects so please if you are in the New York Area and have any information on the suspect(s) whereabouts or if you spot any of the suspects immediately call 1 (800 ) 577 - Tips. (You can remain Anonymous)Here is the link which includes video footage of the suspects

http://www.wpix.com/news/local/wpix-new-york-lottery-searches-for-scam-artist,0,7803931.story

Set4life's avatar - 2554
    East Hampton, NY
    United States
    Member #41995
    June 25, 2006
    1137 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2010, 10:56 am - IP Logged

<snip>, I hope this <snip> gets caught!!! if he tried that sh1t here on the island, he would get his ass beat lol

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

Norfolk,VA
      United States
      Member #83225
      December 2, 2009
      757 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2010, 12:13 am - IP Logged

<snip>, I hope this <snip> gets caught!!! if he tried that sh1t here on the island, he would get his ass beat lol

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

nah, if they tried that here in VA where i live.... the store owner would have ran after them with a 12 gauge shot gun and put one in all 3 of their a$$es........

''YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL BUT, YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS''Thumbs Up

Jordans121's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg

United States
        Member #69169
        January 5, 2009
        2122 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2010, 12:18 am - IP Logged

This is great news. lol. 

"Many Strategies|One Game"

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
          Clarksville
          United States
          Member #487
          July 15, 2002
          17638 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2010, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I wonder if they can void out the ticket numbers BEFORE they can cash them in?  This  is crazy!! 2 types of scratch off scams ..Wow!!!  I hope they get caught.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2010, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

This is CRAZY..........And I thought I read it all......

NY
              United States
              Member #54513
              August 21, 2007
              6371 Posts
              Posted: July 20, 2010, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I know this is insane and on the Local News on TV it stated he stole $800 worth of $20 scratch off tickets from a store in Parkchester, Bronx. I  hope they can void the tickets before the crooks can cash them in.

The Eight commandment is " Thou Shall Not Steal" and these guys will pay for what they done!The Stole fomr the State lottery and they stole potential winning tickets that honest and paying lottery customers could have brought. What a shame.....

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                Nashville, TN
                United States
                Member #86739
                February 9, 2010
                483 Posts
                Posted: August 12, 2010, 9:32 am - IP Logged

I know this is insane and on the Local News on TV it stated he stole $800 worth of $20 scratch off tickets from a store in Parkchester, Bronx. I  hope they can void the tickets before the crooks can cash them in.

The Eight commandment is " Thou Shall Not Steal" and these guys will pay for what they done!The Stole fomr the State lottery and they stole potential winning tickets that honest and paying lottery customers could have brought. What a shame.....

i thot these ages were inventoried daily. If so they should be able to track the ones they stole and turn them off so to speak --void them as stated above.

I hope they catch the <snip>s!

NY
                  United States
                  Member #54513
                  August 21, 2007
                  6371 Posts
                  Posted: August 12, 2010, 9:41 am - IP Logged

The local news on TV in my area reported that the crooks were able to cash most of  the tickets before they could be reported stolen

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                    North Dakota
                    United States
                    Member #13397
                    April 5, 2005
                    1623 Posts
                    Posted: August 12, 2010, 10:52 am - IP Logged

In this case it's a race.  The crooks stealing the tickets know that they have a VERY short window of opportunity.  All they need to do is scratch the validation numbers off and have the next retailers scan them.  The retailers really have to be quick to report the crime to lottery officials.  Thankfully, they can report the stolen tickets quickly.  However, if the crime goes unnoticed for 10 minutes or more...  it's really too late.  Also, I would hope cashiers would first contact the lottery (with the stolen ticket numbers) and then contact the police.  The other way around may delay the process long enough for the crooks to cash in the winners.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                      Member #61296
                      May 17, 2008
                      187 Posts
                      Posted: August 13, 2010, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

What <snip>s!!! I hope they get caught and do time for larceny. Its unfair 2 people like me who honestly buy NY scratchers.. Imagine they hit a jackpot??? They would prob get caught on their way 2 claim a huge win, cuz in NY u gotta go public and by that time they would be busted 4 sure....

taxijohn's avatar - odometer444
                        Dutchess County, New York
                        United States
                        Member #8067
                        October 22, 2004
                        3239 Posts
                        Posted: August 13, 2010, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

One also has to wonder if the clerks themselves scratch maybe a stack of 30 tickets and if no big winners, make this claim. All the tickets have serial numbers and I am sure there is probably some hot line where the clerk can call and report tickets 1342xxx to 1342xxx have been stolen... something like that. Don't forget though, a lot of scams are committed by the clerks or store owners themselves.......

GOD is great, beer is good and people are crazy! Crazy

"I don't look for the numbers, the numbers look for and sometimes find me..."

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                          Nashville, TN
                          United States
                          Member #86739
                          February 9, 2010
                          483 Posts
                          Posted: August 14, 2010, 12:24 am - IP Logged

What <snip>s!!! I hope they get caught and do time for larceny. Its unfair 2 people like me who honestly buy NY scratchers.. Imagine they hit a jackpot??? They would prob get caught on their way 2 claim a huge win, cuz in NY u gotta go public and by that time they would be busted 4 sure....

And fir this very reason it seems to me the crooks would never be able to cash anything above $500 since they'd be caught at the lottery commission when they take it

Sounds like Darwin award candidates to me!