Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Value

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 6 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2010, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Here in Idaho thru July we can buy a Mega Value which is a PowerBall and a MegaMillions with the multiplier(s) for $3.  Is this just an Idaho thing?

I don't usually buy the MegaPlier on the MM because the payout depends on whichever ball comes up.  I do buy the PowerPlay on PB because it's an automatic million no matter which ball comes up. 

We just got the MM in Idaho several months ago, and I guess they're trying to get more people to buy it, or to invest in the megaplier, or both. 

It seems to me it's a better buy on MM to spend your $2 on 2 tickets without the multiplier rather than on one ticket with.  Choose the first 5 numbers the same on both tickets, but a different MegaBall.  That gives you another chance to win the JP, and if you match 5-0 you still get double.

Anyone else have other strategies?  What's your reasoning?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19815 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2010, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

We now have both MM and PB in Ohio also but our MM has never had the multiplier feature.  PB was added in April and the only promotion Ohio has ever had for either game was the 10X multiplier for PB which all states selling PB had.  Apparently Ohioians are more willing to part with their money for a lottery ticket than Idahoans are.

I usually play the game with the larger jackpot but everything being equal I'm starting to prefer PB since it has fewer bonus numbers.  Seems like for me to get a win in either game I have to match the bonus number and that's easier to do with PB.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
      Member #93164
      June 23, 2010
      1313 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2010, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

RJOh, I didn't know that Ohio joined PB also. Only California is the only state that has Mega Millions game, but doesn't join Powerball.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5586 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2010, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Here in Idaho thru July we can buy a Mega Value which is a PowerBall and a MegaMillions with the multiplier(s) for $3.  Is this just an Idaho thing?

I don't usually buy the MegaPlier on the MM because the payout depends on whichever ball comes up.  I do buy the PowerPlay on PB because it's an automatic million no matter which ball comes up. 

We just got the MM in Idaho several months ago, and I guess they're trying to get more people to buy it, or to invest in the megaplier, or both. 

It seems to me it's a better buy on MM to spend your $2 on 2 tickets without the multiplier rather than on one ticket with.  Choose the first 5 numbers the same on both tickets, but a different MegaBall.  That gives you another chance to win the JP, and if you match 5-0 you still get double.

Anyone else have other strategies?  What's your reasoning?

If you like to megaply and powerplay that's not a bad deal. In Tx we had MM before PB, and we always had megaplier, and I believe, but may be wrong, that Tx was the only state with the megaplier before the expansion of MM and PB into other states in January.

I used to always megaply and even did the powerplay when we first got PB, even won $8 instead of $4 back in the spring, but I don't do either anymore. It's got a little expensive, and I like to play scatchers some too now.

I would be po'd if I got 5 of 5 and only won 200 or 250k, but..... there's only so much $$$ to spend.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19815 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2010, 8:09 am - IP Logged

If you like to megaply and powerplay that's not a bad deal. In Tx we had MM before PB, and we always had megaplier, and I believe, but may be wrong, that Tx was the only state with the megaplier before the expansion of MM and PB into other states in January.

I used to always megaply and even did the powerplay when we first got PB, even won $8 instead of $4 back in the spring, but I don't do either anymore. It's got a little expensive, and I like to play scatchers some too now.

I would be po'd if I got 5 of 5 and only won 200 or 250k, but..... there's only so much $$$ to spend.

You're right, Texas was the only state that had the megaplier when MM was limited to 14 states and it was a local drawing.  Ohio decided to move the KICKER to its MM tickets and still offers it.  Now as I understand, states with megaplier are using Texas results.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19815 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2010, 8:13 am - IP Logged

RJOh, I didn't know that Ohio joined PB also. Only California is the only state that has Mega Millions game, but doesn't join Powerball.

All the games available in each state is available in the resources area.  You should check it out, you'll find there's a lot you don't know.

Evil Looking       

bobby623's avatar - abstract
              San Angelo, Texas
              United States
              Member #1097
              January 31, 2003
              1394 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:18 am - IP Logged

While no official announcement has been made (that I'm aware of), the computerized Megaplier drawing in Texas will be conducted in Georgia where the MM drawing is held.

The move has been discussed by the 3-member Texas Lottery Commission. There was concern that the move would cost Texas jobs, but
              this was discounted by lottery officials. However, the commission wants to retain the computer.

The commission also discussed rule changes that will change the way the Mega Millions jackpot is determined. Instead of a percentage of sales,
              the jackpot will be set to a certain amount. Apparently this will apply to all states having the MM game.

As an aside, it was announced at the July commission meeting that the proposed 'national' game will be discussed at a joint meeting of
              MM and Powerball lottery folks in August.

No details about the structure of the proposed game has been released.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19815 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Now that MM is played in 42 states, I would think all those states would have a say about any changes in  future games.  When Texas decided to add the megaplier to it version of MM, it didn't effect any of the other states and when California opted for para-mutel payouts for its prizes, it didn't effect any of the other MM states.

Evil Looking       

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                  Member #93164
                  June 23, 2010
                  1313 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2010, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I agree RJOh on California having pari-mutuel prizes on their game.

San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1394 Posts
                    Posted: July 23, 2010, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I've read the minutes of the Texas lottery commission July meeting, and the specific rules which would change the way the MM jackpot is determined, and found nothing that indicates that Texas will stand alone.

I can't imagine the MM jackpot being different in participating states. It would have to be the same in all 42 states.

I think Texas is just rewriting the rules to conform with a change not yet announced by the MegaMillions joint committee.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19815 Posts
                      Posted: July 23, 2010, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I read the information on Texas Lottery website and it looks like the megaplier will no longer be drawn in Texas and matching 5+0 will pay a million dollars if the player paid extra for the megaplier regardless of the number drawn as PowerBall does.  Now I wonder if all states will start offering the megaplier option.

Evil Looking       

DFW, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #78628
                        August 18, 2009
                        134 Posts
                        Posted: July 26, 2010, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Reading governmental and legal documents is right up my alley, so I looked up the relevant Texas Register issue.

The proposed changes are conditional.  Concerning one of the changes, the description says, "Once the agreementis signed by all Mega Millions party lotteries, the Executive Directorhas the authority to implement."  It further states, "The amendmentwill make the language of the rule consistent with the Megaplier drawingbeing moved to the State of Georgia, to be conducted with the MegaMillions drawing, should that move occur."

Rules concerning jackpot payments are also changed.  I read the existing text and proposed text, and there are differences, but they don't appear to be substantial differences in most circumstances.

The proposed amendments to the Texas Adminstrative Code are given below the description.  Moving the Megaplier drawing to Atlanta and the $1,000,000 guarantee are included, but, as stated in the description, the changes take effect only if all of the participating states approve.

San Angelo, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #1097
                          January 31, 2003
                          1394 Posts
                          Posted: July 26, 2010, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Longarm: Thanks for your comments.

Prior to recent expansion of MegaMillions to 42 states, decisions regarding the jackpot and other aspects of the game were conducted by
                          telephone conference. In other words, unlike Powerball, MM didn't have a 'central office,' so to speak. Each state lottery director had an input and decisions were generally made by majority vote.

One has to wonder how the game is now being managed with 42 lottery directors having a say.

Apparently, there is now a MM committee of some sort, but there is little information on how it functions.
                          The fact that the megaplier drawing is moving to Georgia where the MM drawing is held suggests that someone, or some group, is
                          now making the decisions.

I think that explains why the rule change is conditional.

It appears some folks working behind the scene are trying to make MegaMillions and Powerball games the same.

I just hope it doesn't mean that the MegaMillions matrix will be changed to 5/59 - 1/39!

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                            Member #38687
                            May 3, 2006
                            315 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2010, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Longarm: Thanks for your comments.

Prior to recent expansion of MegaMillions to 42 states, decisions regarding the jackpot and other aspects of the game were conducted by
                            telephone conference. In other words, unlike Powerball, MM didn't have a 'central office,' so to speak. Each state lottery director had an input and decisions were generally made by majority vote.

One has to wonder how the game is now being managed with 42 lottery directors having a say.

Apparently, there is now a MM committee of some sort, but there is little information on how it functions.
                            The fact that the megaplier drawing is moving to Georgia where the MM drawing is held suggests that someone, or some group, is
                            now making the decisions.

I think that explains why the rule change is conditional.

It appears some folks working behind the scene are trying to make MegaMillions and Powerball games the same.

I just hope it doesn't mean that the MegaMillions matrix will be changed to 5/59 - 1/39!

"It appears some folks working behind the scene are trying to make MegaMillions and Powerball games the same"

I thought the same thing when I heard of a possible change. MM is not doing as well as assumed in the cross over states. If you look at a majority of the total sales for the cross over states, MM is barely bringing in enough to pay a 2nd prize winner that doesn't pay for the Megaplier. I believe that once this change takes place we are about to see a few record jackpots. Next year is going to be an exciting year with MegaMillions.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot