Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best place for a large Lottery Winners to Live

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 6 years ago by myzeus.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
Member #32537
February 12, 2006
698 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2010, 7:20 am - IP Logged

so whats the Best place for  a large Lottery Winners to Live

Paying my respects to

Best place for a lottery player to live thread

thx for the idea

Texas
    United States
    Member #1477
    May 7, 2003
    2311 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2010, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Probably behind tall walls and locked doors.   I've always said if I won I was going to get a Andwering Machine  and leave message to the effect:

If you are a friend or a relative you know the procedure to reach me.  I know you arent' a Bill Collector because I don't have any debts.  I've already given to the people and charities of my choosing.  If you are an investor or inventor and want me to invest in something.....I probably dont need it nor want it to begin with.  All others, please leave message at the tone and I shall get back to you if we are still speaking.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2010, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Best place is any state that allows winners to remain anonymous, so as to avoid the situation Clipper described.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: August 4, 2010, 12:17 am - IP Logged

The rich part of your town? If I were to win I already plan on moving within 2 years to the country club here. Seems a good fit, there isn't a bad neighborhood near it, it's in the expanding part of town where the nicest houses are/will be and since everyone else around me would be pretty wealthy themselves I wouldn't have to worry about much or standing out.

Of course I plan on collecting with a blind trust so I wouldn't really be judged as not having actually earned my money. But I mean if you are a considerate person and not trashy I don't think they'd really mind you if they knew you won the lottery (which in my case they wouldn't mind).

Texas
          United States
          Member #1477
          May 7, 2003
          2311 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2010, 12:21 am - IP Logged

The rich part of your town? If I were to win I already plan on moving within 2 years to the country club here. Seems a good fit, there isn't a bad neighborhood near it, it's in the expanding part of town where the nicest houses are/will be and since everyone else around me would be pretty wealthy themselves I wouldn't have to worry about much or standing out.

Of course I plan on collecting with a blind trust so I wouldn't really be judged as not having actually earned my money. But I mean if you are a considerate person and not trashy I don't think they'd really mind you if they knew you won the lottery (which in my case they wouldn't mind).

How does a blind trust work?   I've been considering alternatives for collection myself should I win.  Have thought about Incorporating a business name as one.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
            light on my feet
            United States
            Member #356
            May 20, 2002
            2744 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2010, 12:47 am - IP Logged

How does a blind trust work?   I've been considering alternatives for collection myself should I win.  Have thought about Incorporating a business name as one.

in a van, down by the river

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
              Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2010, 1:06 am - IP Logged

In space.

Texas
                United States
                Member #1477
                May 7, 2003
                2311 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2010, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Found info about Blind Trust and some other things.   Now to find whether my State allows Blind Trust or not.   Is something I might consider depending on how much I win.   Even found info on Taxes and Investments.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3105 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2010, 2:19 am - IP Logged

One of the Disney communities.  BobP

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2010, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

They'd probably need a place with large doorways.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2010, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

The best place(s) I can think of are all abroad...if I were a big lottery jackpot winner, I would become a world traveler, but I would maintain my residence in a tax friendly state (as tax friendly as you can get under the CURRENT administration...forget about "the past 8 years" and see the collossal misdirection that is occurring in these present 18 months!).  But given that, if the taxation became so unbearable, I would highly consider relinquishing my US citizenship for that of a more tax friendly & stable country.  I think Afghanistan would get the initial nod (yeah I have a sick sense of humor). 

Anyhow, it is great to see all the wonderful changes that have taken place with the mega jackpot lotteries while I was in Iraq.  Still hoping my small dollars become big jackpot dollars!  Well time to go back into the censorship screen (yeah I cannot access this site from Iraq...the whole prohibition against gambling thing...so one cannot even check to see if his/her advance play/subscription lottery numbers hit).  Might have to send a lot of documentation to Florida as I had a few small winners but the period to claim passed while I was serving in Iraq...or I just might not even bother, but then again, how many people have won off of the free tickets they had won?  So it might be worth the hassle after all!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                        Magnolia, Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #18795
                        July 20, 2005
                        789 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2010, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

"But given that, if the taxation became so unbearable, I would highly consider relinquishing my US citizenship for that of a more tax friendly & stable country". Under current US Income Tax Law if the IRS can prove that's the only reason as to why you're willing to renounce your US citizenship they will tax you anyway for the next 10 years after granting you your wish of not being a US citizen! So go ahead and see what happens if the IRS gets wind of your plans.... TOO LATE! Oh that's right what's posted on the internet is there forever!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                          Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: August 4, 2010, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

You know that place......Anytown USA!

Just get me thru this so called life......

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: August 4, 2010, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

They'd probably need a place with large doorways.

I was thinking along those same lines.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3475 Posts
                              Posted: August 4, 2010, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

"if you are a considerate person and not trashy I don't think they'd really mind you if they knew you won the lottery"

There are many places where if you buy a house from the Smiths and live there for 15 years you'll still be referred to as "that guy that bought the old Smith place". You might be a nice guy, but if you move into a ritzy neighborhood where everybody earned their big pile of money and you got yours from a lottery you should plan on being an outsider until you find a better neighborhood.