Welcome Guest
You last visited May 27, 2017, 9:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random Observations & Things To Ponder

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10460 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2010, 2:06 am - IP Logged

When the lottery programs such as How the Lottery Changed My Life and Curse of the Lottety are aired and they show people's winnig tickets none of those tickets have ever been numbers that were wheeled.

Granted, you just get a brief glimpse of them and usually it's a $1 ticket or a $5 ticket and maybe those people played others, but the ones they show never have lines of the same numbers having been wheeled.

You never hear of people who won a millioin or more on a scratcher blowing it all.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #93947
    July 10, 2010
    2180 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2010, 2:45 am - IP Logged

When the lottery programs such as How the Lottery Changed My Life and Curse of the Lottety are aired and they show people's winnig tickets none of those tickets have ever been numbers that were wheeled.

Granted, you just get a brief glimpse of them and usually it's a $1 ticket or a $5 ticket and maybe those people played others, but the ones they show never have lines of the same numbers having been wheeled.

You never hear of people who won a millioin or more on a scratcher blowing it all.

And why do you think this is true?

United States
      Member #94616
      July 24, 2010
      4735 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2010, 4:40 am - IP Logged

Maybe those who wheel are also smart enough to turn down HBO & others who ask to talk to them/film them ??  Maybe they want to win again and NOT share there secrets?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2010, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Maybe those who wheel are also smart enough to turn down HBO & others who ask to talk to them/film them ??  Maybe they want to win again and NOT share there secrets?

You also have to look at the percentage of numbers that are Quick Picks and Personal Picks that are not wheeled.

There may also be large but not huge winners that wheel numbers and just aren't asked by HBO to talk about it since it's not a 'change your life' type of amount.

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2010, 8:15 am - IP Logged

is true, in fact every website i´ve seen of, people claiming they won a jackpot with a system it has 1 single line and not several, including on youtube.....Which means is a scam, or they consulted a psychic (jokingly), or they knew before hand that particular combination was going to play which is unlikely because i´ve not seen anyone single out 1 combination and know it was going to play...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            20041 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2010, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Winning a million or about $700K after taxes isn't enough to change a life style such that after it's gone the life style have to change again.  It's enough to pay off a house and have a little saved for the kids education, the things one might plan to do whether they won a lottery or not.  Doing those kinds of things aren't new worthy.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3325 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2010, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

i think lottery officials take the real ticket,maybe they hand out a fake one for you to show the cameras?

" Still swinging, still missing "
              2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10460 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Winning a million or about $700K after taxes isn't enough to change a life style such that after it's gone the life style have to change again.  It's enough to pay off a house and have a little saved for the kids education, the things one might plan to do whether they won a lottery or not.  Doing those kinds of things aren't new worthy.

RJoh,

Don't you think that anything that takes the avergage debt-laden American from a hand to mouth,  paycheck to paycheck existence to a "Heat, eat, and taxes" (utilites, food, and taxes, no other bills) lifestlye is a lifestyle change?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #93947
                  July 10, 2010
                  2180 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2010, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Here's a quote from rdgrnr's comment in the Statistically Speaking - QPs and PPs thread yesterday:

"If QP's account for exactly 70% of  tickets sold  and account for exactly 70% of winning tickets,  while PP's account for exactly 30% of tickets sold  and exactly 30% of winning tickets, I just cannot reconcile in my mind one method outperforming the other."

So, maybe this answers the question of why HBO didn't happen to display any tickets that had the footprint of a Wheeled set - 70% of the winning tickets are QPs.

And then, of course, it's also possible the other 30% could fit into the categories suggested above.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    20041 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2010, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

RJoh,

Don't you think that anything that takes the avergage debt-laden American from a hand to mouth,  paycheck to paycheck existence to a "Heat, eat, and taxes" (utilites, food, and taxes, no other bills) lifestlye is a lifestyle change?

I assume the average winner is like the average scratch off ticket buyer, not a debt-laden person living from paycheck to paycheck who can't make his house payments, afford food or pay his taxes and utilities.  The money would make his life easier but not make him a millionaire plus to do some of the foolish things some one winning $30 Millions might do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #70678
                      February 8, 2009
                      889 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2010, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

The people I know all buy QP's or play the birthday, anniversary etc numbers. I think most people are too busy dreaming about winning and put little thought into choosing numbers.

Plus I'm sure it's alot more interesting to hear a story about someone who spent their last dollar, bought a ticket on a whim, played the same numbers forever etc. versus someone who says I have a system, I wheel my numbers, ok lets talk about math and statistics.

Once I had a news crew ask me what I thought about a boy in the neighborhood raising bees in his backyard. Of course because I didn't act terrified my interview wasn't included when the story aired that night.

Just get me thru this so called life......

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2010, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

The people I know all buy QP's or play the birthday, anniversary etc numbers. I think most people are too busy dreaming about winning and put little thought into choosing numbers.

Plus I'm sure it's alot more interesting to hear a story about someone who spent their last dollar, bought a ticket on a whim, played the same numbers forever etc. versus someone who says I have a system, I wheel my numbers, ok lets talk about math and statistics.

Once I had a news crew ask me what I thought about a boy in the neighborhood raising bees in his backyard. Of course because I didn't act terrified my interview wasn't included when the story aired that night.

They probably also don't want to be a free advertiser to that person.

"Hi my name is John and I'm a lottery winner. I have been featured on HBO for my lottery win from using my verified lottery winning system. For the low price of $99.99 you too can learn the secrets of winning the lottery!"

Doubt that was an actual reason, but I could definitely see a lottery winner who won with a system to do that (especially if they blew through most of it already).

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10460 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2010, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I assume the average winner is like the average scratch off ticket buyer, not a debt-laden person living from paycheck to paycheck who can't make his house payments, afford food or pay his taxes and utilities.  The money would make his life easier but not make him a millionaire plus to do some of the foolish things some one winning $30 Millions might do.

RJoh,

Most people live paycheck to paycheck. That doesn't mean they can't make their house payments, buy food, or pay for utlities.

"Heat, eat, and taxes" means no other debt, no mortgage, no car payments, no credit card bills.

When all is said and done, the average working American is deeper in debt at the end of the year, and that excludes a house and car payment.

That is a large part of the attraction of the lottery, it's the working slobs only real hope of ever escaping the "trap".

Lep

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10460 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2010, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

And why do you think this is true?

Maybe because when someone wins multi-millions no matter how much they go through they're still thinking, "Holy cow, I've got tens of millions of dollars", but when somone wins let's say $2,000,000 on a scratcher they're more apt to be cautious with it.

Lep

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3139 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2010, 1:51 am - IP Logged

I suspect people who win by QP are also more likely to want to appear on a tv show.  Those who win by wheeling more likely to think things through and choose not to draw attention to themselves.   As for the ticket, a prop so as not to confuse the audience.   

BobP