Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM in PA

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 6 years ago by C0w Pi3.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2010, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Have there been any Mega Millions jackpot winners in PA? I looked on both the PA Lottery site and the MM site and couldn't find any info.

Also, can you claim anonymously there?

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #21206
    September 4, 2005
    949 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2010, 11:21 am - IP Logged

You cannot claim anonymously there.

Also PA makes all winners wait for all large prizes for 6 weeks.

Therefore it is better to buy tickets in New Jersey if you live near the border.    New Jersey will release your name, but requires no conference.

I know a guy that one around $10,000 in PA, and he was really upset with the wait.

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
      Member #93164
      June 23, 2010
      1325 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Does this mean that Pennsylania has both Mega Millions and Powerball?

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2010, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

You cannot claim anonymously there.

Also PA makes all winners wait for all large prizes for 6 weeks.

Therefore it is better to buy tickets in New Jersey if you live near the border.    New Jersey will release your name, but requires no conference.

I know a guy that one around $10,000 in PA, and he was really upset with the wait.

New Jersey now taxes income, now including NJ lottery prizes, over $500k at 10.25% and over $1 million at 10.75%. The maximum income tax in PA is 3.07%. Buying a ticket in NJ instead of PA to avoid the possibility of waiting a few weeks longer for the check would be incredibly stupid if you're not a NJ resident.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11932 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Have there been any Mega Millions jackpot winners in PA? I looked on both the PA Lottery site and the MM site and couldn't find any info.

Also, can you claim anonymously there?

No mega millions for PA, But this is the first year that PA joined Mega millions.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
            Member #85338
            January 13, 2010
            143 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2010, 10:05 am - IP Logged

PA does have both MM and PB.  PA joined MM in February.  PB has been here a while.

No anonymous claims. They don't require a press conference.  If you claim through a trust, the beneficiaries of the trust are named.  You don't pay state tax on the winnings if you are a PA resident. 

Nearby Md, De and Oh allow for anonymous claims.

Md requires non residents to pay 7.5% state income tax; residents pay 9.5% state income tax.

I think OH requires state and local tax to be paid even for non residents.

"It's not a matter of 'if,' but a matter of 'WHEN!!!'  "

Delaware
              United States
              Member #93503
              July 1, 2010
              453 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2010, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Why go to New Jersey and not Delaware where you can remain anonymous? Granted Delaware doesn't have many big winners but we've had a few lol. :P