Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who to Trust with a Trust??

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 6 years ago by drhymes74.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2010, 2:42 am - IP Logged

You won big, but if there's one thing you've learned from being on LP is that you must remain anonymous. So you form a trust (blind, revocable, living, irrevocable, etc.), so you can send a lawyer to collect and control the assets that go into the trust.

Really?

I'm just gonna hand over all that power to somebody, a lawyer of all people?? That sounds worse than a bad marriage. There has to be a better way.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2010, 4:33 am - IP Logged

I trust nobody. I do it the traditional way. Many have done that way.

If ANY lottery winner can't handle money and fame together give me the money!

Me and my 300 concubines will be very happy!

MarkP

United States
      Member #85338
      January 13, 2010
      143 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2010, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I guess you'd have weigh the pros on cons.  I don't think it's a matter of not being able to handle the money, it's a matter of protecting it from the vultures....You could easily tell everyone "no" but you tick off the wrong person they'll be gunning for a lawsuit, as frivolous as that may be. 

You could hire a lawyer to act as a trustee and have another lawyer oversee the trust and the trustee. If the lawyer does not fulfill their fiduciary responsibility, they face serious consequences. 

Any trustee can be removed and replaced by someone else.  You could also have co-trustees.  You can state the objectives of the trust and if they are not met.

As much as I don't trust in anybody, I feel the lesser of the two evils is to set up a trust through a lawyer.

"It's not a matter of 'if,' but a matter of 'WHEN!!!'  "

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2010, 11:26 am - IP Logged

yeah handing over to a lawyer to manage is kinda like, cutting out the middle man.i would have a prob with that.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Miami
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          673 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2010, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I guess you'd have weigh the pros on cons.  I don't think it's a matter of not being able to handle the money, it's a matter of protecting it from the vultures....You could easily tell everyone "no" but you tick off the wrong person they'll be gunning for a lawsuit, as frivolous as that may be. 

You could hire a lawyer to act as a trustee and have another lawyer oversee the trust and the trustee. If the lawyer does not fulfill their fiduciary responsibility, they face serious consequences. 

Any trustee can be removed and replaced by someone else.  You could also have co-trustees.  You can state the objectives of the trust and if they are not met.

As much as I don't trust in anybody, I feel the lesser of the two evils is to set up a trust through a lawyer.

My problem with that is that from that point on you're married to a lawyer. Not to mention all the money they're going to charge you. It's almost like THEY won. That's insane!

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Miami
            United States
            Member #62793
            July 9, 2008
            673 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2010, 12:58 am - IP Logged

yeah handing over to a lawyer to manage is kinda like, cutting out the middle man.i would have a prob with that.

There has to be a better way.

United States
              Member #83701
              December 13, 2009
              225 Posts
              Posted: August 29, 2010, 3:42 am - IP Logged

You won big, but if there's one thing you've learned from being on LP is that you must remain anonymous. So you form a trust (blind, revocable, living, irrevocable, etc.), so you can send a lawyer to collect and control the assets that go into the trust.

Really?

I'm just gonna hand over all that power to somebody, a lawyer of all people?? That sounds worse than a bad marriage. There has to be a better way.

All banks provide an executor service for a fee and will act as the executor of the trust.   They are closely regulated and are held accountable, besides you're already trusting them to keep your money safe to begin with.

One alternative would be to collect your winnings, then fly to Thailand and have a sex change operation, legally changing your identity (even your birth certificate as that's part of a legal sex change) and move to Brazil.   You can re-enter the US as a Victoria Secret model.

Miami
                United States
                Member #62793
                July 9, 2008
                673 Posts
                Posted: August 29, 2010, 5:58 am - IP Logged

All banks provide an executor service for a fee and will act as the executor of the trust.   They are closely regulated and are held accountable, besides you're already trusting them to keep your money safe to begin with.

One alternative would be to collect your winnings, then fly to Thailand and have a sex change operation, legally changing your identity (even your birth certificate as that's part of a legal sex change) and move to Brazil.   You can re-enter the US as a Victoria Secret model.

Well, maybe not a sex change, but perhaps a man-junk size reduction? No one would recognize me, lol.

United States
                  Member #85338
                  January 13, 2010
                  143 Posts
                  Posted: August 29, 2010, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

I would sooner trust a lawyer than my ex or her meddling mother....

Heck, I'd trust the mob before I trust those two.

Miami
                    United States
                    Member #62793
                    July 9, 2008
                    673 Posts
                    Posted: August 29, 2010, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I would sooner trust a lawyer than my ex or her meddling mother....

Heck, I'd trust the mob before I trust those two.

My wife checks these forums so I can't comment, but let's just say I feel your pain, lol!

Please send help....

United States
                      Member #85338
                      January 13, 2010
                      143 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2010, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

My ex's mother is the Osama bin Laden and Adolph Hitler of mothers in law combined.

That two ton piece of garbage has her husband so whipped he even looks like a lump on a log.

I am and always have been civil towards her especially when my kids are around....the funny thing is they can't stand her and the boys' mother is oblivious to it all......Before we split, the boys would call her the witch....at first I didn't know who they were talking about and then one day I put two and two together.