Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TN Pick 5 ending; New game to replace it

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 6 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
Nashville, TN
United States
Member #86739
February 9, 2010
483 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

While buying a few Pick 5 tickets last night I asked the clerk about the game. He said it will be replaced and showed me some kind of official looking laminated print out from the TN lottery describing what will be called:

Tennessee Cashball

Or the like. It will be 5 numbers, just as pick 5 is now, EXCEPT, it will have a 'Tennessee Cashball' (a 6th number) just like the friggin powerball and mega millions!

I didnt look at the document very long, so I dont know the odds or how high the numbers go or anything, I just know i am FURIOUS as this will obviously lower the chances of winning.

Maybe in the end it wont be too bad but I would rather keep Pick 5 as it is. I am certain the jackpots will be higher but the way the TN lottery is, I will not hold my breath.

I havent found any info on the Tn lottery website about this but they will post it eventually.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2010, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad to hear they're bringing out a new game but I'll reserve judgement on it til I see what it entails.

It sure would be nice to hear they're going back to real live ball drawings at the same time though, wouldn't it?

Now that would be something that would really cause some excitement in the Tennessee Lottery.

But if it's going to be the same old computer-driven, low-jackpot, pari-mutuel, dull, boring, lifeless, 3 day a week game, they may as well pull the plug on it now.

Cuz it'll be dead on arrival anyway.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2010, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

i noticed that, Tennessians are like not very fond of playing lottery...i will think the same will be with rich states...for if you have a lot of money or you are wealthy maybe by birth why play the lottery....

i will think the country with the most blondies or blond people or where everyone is blond will not play lottery either...What for...

why you think there are not a lot of blond billionaires when they can be...Why/what for...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Nashville, TN
        United States
        Member #86739
        February 9, 2010
        483 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2010, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad to hear they're bringing out a new game but I'll reserve judgement on it til I see what it entails.

It sure would be nice to hear they're going back to real live ball drawings at the same time though, wouldn't it?

Now that would be something that would really cause some excitement in the Tennessee Lottery.

But if it's going to be the same old computer-driven, low-jackpot, pari-mutuel, dull, boring, lifeless, 3 day a week game, they may as well pull the plug on it now.

Cuz it'll be dead on arrival anyway.

Agreed... I am anxious to see the details about this on the website.

I hadnt thought of them going back to using live ball drawings, but I certainly wont hold my breath.

Anything to mix it up would be fantastic.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2010, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

i noticed that, Tennessians are like not very fond of playing lottery...i will think the same will be with rich states...for if you have a lot of money or you are wealthy maybe by birth why play the lottery....

i will think the country with the most blondies or blond people or where everyone is blond will not play lottery either...What for...

why you think there are not a lot of blond billionaires when they can be...Why/what for...

I'm not quite sure what all that blondie stuff is all about but I'm taking the advice in the last three words of your signature.

Yes, I'm thinking of midgets.

--Edmund Burke

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2010, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Did you see the story in the Tennessean about the dire financial condition of the HOPE scholarships?

Seems the Lottory people are being asked to increase the amount of money they give to the State so the HOPE scholarships can continue to fund the sholarships at their present level.  Something like that.

My suggestion is for the Lottory people to bring back ball drop.  I, for one, do not trust RNG.  If they don't want to broadcast the draw across the state (due to cost), they can put the video on their website.  More people would play their games if they trusted the method of picking the numbers.  With computer picks, there is no way to verify the integrity of the drawing.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: September 19, 2010, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Did you see the story in the Tennessean about the dire financial condition of the HOPE scholarships?

Seems the Lottory people are being asked to increase the amount of money they give to the State so the HOPE scholarships can continue to fund the sholarships at their present level.  Something like that.

My suggestion is for the Lottory people to bring back ball drop.  I, for one, do not trust RNG.  If they don't want to broadcast the draw across the state (due to cost), they can put the video on their website.  More people would play their games if they trusted the method of picking the numbers.  With computer picks, there is no way to verify the integrity of the drawing.

I have noticed since Tennessee started computer drawings... the odds for instant tickets have shot up.  For example, look at a $10 ticket.  In late 2004 they introduced the first $10 instant ticket Holiday Treasures with odds of 1:2.3.  Now, some $10 tickets have odds of 1:3.63.  Considering these are OVERALL odds with millions of tickets printed... there are far more losers (more revenue).  I guess Tennessee had to compensate somewhere and of course they hit the "bread and butter" of the Tennessee Lottery.  Where does it end, folks?

How are you going to win if you don't play?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2010, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Tennessee: Where lottery games go to die.

Slogan: "Our Ideas Have Never Worked Before But We'll Keep Trying Them Over and Over and Over Again Anyway!"

Slogan: "Yes We Know You Want Real, Live, Ball Drawings But You'll Get Computer Drawings And Like It, Bub! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

Slogan: "Hey, We Get a Big Fat Salary Whether You Like Us Or Not! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

Slogan: "Hey, My Name's Rebecca, Bite Me! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

--Edmund Burke

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                  North Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #13397
                  April 5, 2005
                  1623 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2010, 6:56 am - IP Logged

Slogan 2 and 3 have my vote.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: September 22, 2010, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I think #3 is more apropos for our lottory.  Rebecca should go back to Cheers.  She was a much better bar manager than a lotto manager.  One point is her favor:  she is just as funny today as she was on Cheers.

disclaimer:  I know our Rebecca was not the actress on Cheers.  I was being scarcastic, a trait I have perfected over the years.

Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2010, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Finally they are revealing more detail about the game.

if you go to the website the splash page will let you click and more info comes up.

I guess they are taking the white ball numbers from 1-39 to 1-35 BUT the Tennessee Ball (or whatever) is 1-5.

They dont list the prizes or jackpot amounts exept to say it is para-mutuel and that I think the lowest prize is .... wait for it.... a free ticket.  Tennessee loves doing that, especially on their scratch offs.

They say it is all about the jackpot now but they dont say how large it will be at the start.

More details please, TN!

I think they are mixing this up in order to get larger jackpots -- PB has done that in the past when too many winners were hitting and the jackpot didnt get large enough. Throwing that 6th "T-Ball" or whatever it is will raise these up, I guess.

More details please, TN EL!