Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball and MegaMillions Were Both Won

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: September 19, 2010, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

This week both the big games were won.  It got me to thinking, it's been a long time since Powerball has grown to a really huge jackpot.  Idaho just recently got MM so I don't know about that one.  But it seems like to me we used to have huge JPs on a fairly regular basis.  What happened?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19902 Posts
    Posted: September 19, 2010, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

This week both the big games were won....both with bonus number 13.

With games easily available to more players, the average numbers of plays that normally win the jackpots are being reached quicker.  Smaller jackpots are attracting more players.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #85338
      January 13, 2010
      143 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2010, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Pennsylvania just added Mega in Feb.  I get the impression that Mega has been slower to catch on, as a result, PA lottery has an "incentive" when the jackpot resets:

Play 5 MegaMillions with the Megaplier get one Megamillions with Megaplier free. Either that or they just want to get a Mega jackpot winner in Pa soon ;-)

"It's not a matter of 'if,' but a matter of 'WHEN!!!'  "

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: September 20, 2010, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

yeah,times are rough,so they're letting it go sooner to more.i was in n.j. last week,they don't have the multiplier for megamillions.i don't know why some states do,and some don't!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19902 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2010, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

yeah,times are rough,so they're letting it go sooner to more.i was in n.j. last week,they don't have the multiplier for megamillions.i don't know why some states do,and some don't!

Ohio has never had the megaplier.  Until MegaMillions started cross selling with other states, Texas had a local drawing to pick the megaplier and was the only state with it.  As far as I know, the megaplier is still a separate drawing held in Texas and is not part of the MegaMillions official drawing held in Georgia.

I read there was plans to make it part of the official MegaMillions drawing like PowerPlay is to PowerBall, maybe then all states will offer it.

Evil Looking       

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
            Member #93164
            June 23, 2010
            1433 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2010, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know that both Mega Millions and Powerball Jackpot were claimed this time. What was the last time both Mega Millions and Powerball Jackpots won on consecutive days?

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2010, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

wow,that #13 really was lucky for someone in powerball.i wonder if mm will copy.

Elkins,WV
                United States
                Member #3210
                January 3, 2004
                66 Posts
                Posted: September 20, 2010, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

The days of 300 million Jackpots are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!! To many people playing both games, they need to merge and make a super lottery, National Lottery.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19902 Posts
                  Posted: September 20, 2010, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

The days of 300 million Jackpots are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!! To many people playing both games, they need to merge and make a super lottery, National Lottery.

$300 millions jackpots were never very common, besides what's wrong with $100-$200 millions jackpots?

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6305 Posts
                    Posted: September 20, 2010, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Ohio has never had the megaplier.  Until MegaMillions started cross selling with other states, Texas had a local drawing to pick the megaplier and was the only state with it.  As far as I know, the megaplier is still a separate drawing held in Texas and is not part of the MegaMillions official drawing held in Georgia.

I read there was plans to make it part of the official MegaMillions drawing like PowerPlay is to PowerBall, maybe then all states will offer it.

RJOh I just checked the Oklahoma Lottery Web-Site & it look slike they made it official reads Starting Sept 14th the Megaplier match 5 ball with Megaplier & win $1MillionHurray!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5765 Posts
                      Posted: September 20, 2010, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I could be wrong, but I think the states were ready to implement rules changes to have the megaplier for all states, and also have an automatic $1 million prize for a winning 5 of 5 tic with the megaplier like PB does. I read the proposed rule changes on the Tx Lottery website, and they ended up not approving the rule changes. I don't know why though.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: September 21, 2010, 11:19 am - IP Logged

This week both the big games were won....both with bonus number 13.

With games easily available to more players, the average numbers of plays that normally win the jackpots are being reached quicker.  Smaller jackpots are attracting more players.

I guess that makes sense.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I love the excitement of a huge jackpot over a quarter of a billion.  But on the other hand, smaller JPs mean there are more of them and more people win.

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: September 26, 2010, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Both Powerball and Mega Millions haven't had earth shattering jackpots lately.

---