Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Handling young childrens education after JP win

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 6 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
Vancouver, WA
United States
Member #53665
July 15, 2007
151 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2010, 5:45 am - IP Logged

I haven't seen this topic on the forums before, and I was just wondering how forum members would reply to this topic.  After a Jackpot win, say in the 60+ Million range that Powerball is right now, how would you handle the education of young children who are currently in grades 1 and 3.

Would you consider a private teacher to be hired who would travel with the children as we (family) travelled the world?  Would you still leave your children in public schools?  For me, I plan on having my two in a protected environment if at all possible so I would consider a private teacher.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2010, 7:55 am - IP Logged

personally if i was to want to keep the win annonymous i wouldnt tell the kids. id wend them to private school, prob not the kind where they live there. but who  knows. just a private enough to get a good education and get to university. no need for the kids to know how you got your money. and id still make em doo choirs to get their pocket mnoney.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
      Member #85338
      January 13, 2010
      143 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2010, 10:29 am - IP Logged

You mention a couple of things.....traveling or in a protected environment.

If one were to travel, there is homeschooling, be it by the parent or as you mentioned a private teacher. There are requirements/standards set by the state in which you reside.

The other option is the "protected environment" which may mean private school.

This is one reason why I would want to be anonymous, for the kids sake. I definitely would not want them to know diddly.

My opinion, private parochial school so they get the basics down in a structured environment.  At that age, I don't know if traveling the world would be the first thing on my mind as they are learning the basics (add, subtract, multiply, divide, rounding comparisons, read comp.) that require more structure than traditional education provides.  When all of the kids are in grades 4 through 8, traveling during vacation times to historical places that they learn about would be a great advantage.  You can travel to places like Greece, Rome, Egypt or England and France since they start introducing children to Ancient and Medieval History.  The other places to travel would be to New England and Jamestown, Gettysburg etc. which ties in with US History.  These can be done over a month during summer break.  The  travel should be entertaining, but also a learning experience that they could share for years to come.  Digital photography, a writing journal,  describing there trip would help. A laptop to keep things together would be very useful.

There are a few colleges that aren't looking at high school class rank, but the majority are.  Since this is the case, it is ever more important that there is stability during the high school years.  The other aspect that they will need is to develop social skills with peers at the same age level.  High school dances, sporting events, drama productions and just goofing off are important.

I would save the "romantic trips" with my significant other like a cruise to the tropics, Turks and Caicos, Bermuda when they are off in college.

Personally, I would try to make their lives as normal as possible, nothing fancy where they are waited on hand and foot all the time...."hotelitis"  While I might have money to pay for a maid and/or a nanny, the last thing I want to raise is the next Paris Hilton.

"It's not a matter of 'if,' but a matter of 'WHEN!!!'  "

United States
        Member #85338
        January 13, 2010
        143 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2010, 10:55 am - IP Logged

A couple of other thing that I forgot to mention is setting up the 529 plans for college and getting the kids involved with volunteer activities....the ADHD kicked in before I could add this.

$10,000 per year per child.  Of course having that kind of win/money could mean that you write a check and pay the tuition without blinking an eye, but I would like to have my money work for me.  If I save it, it earns money, then it means I can have more money to spend on other important things.

If I spend all of my time traveling, could I still do philanthropic things and volunteer work?  Making a monetary donation is nice.  Giving of my time is something that wealth could provide me with....I wouldn't need to work to pay the bills....as they would be paid.  My time is more free and unencumbered to do worthwhile things.  One of the first things that I would do is get in contact with the USMC at Christmas time, make a large toy donation, and dress like Santa Claus to deliver the toys. I would only ask that my name not be published (my name wouldn't matter, just the action).  It sounds hokey, but there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a child's smile at Christmas time.  I remember all too well some of the kids that I went to school with at Christmastime, whose parents lost jobs when the factory town we lived in was shutting down, when there would be a toy drive and some of those kids got a doll or a car that just meant the world to them. I just don't think that children should be deprived of childhood things.

I would also donate to a food bank and have my family volunteer at a soup kitchen....teaching them generosity (of time) would be the best education for them.

United States
          Member #61232
          May 16, 2008
          126 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2010, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I don't have kids but if I did I'd probably have them in public or private school.  Kids need to be socialized, have friends, and experience the occasional conflict to gain the people skills needed in adulthood.  Thats not easy to accomplish if your traveling the world, using a private tutor, or homeschooling.

Monkey Butt, USA
            United States
            Member #54569
            August 23, 2007
            1124 Posts
            Posted: October 4, 2010, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

You mention a couple of things.....traveling or in a protected environment.

If one were to travel, there is homeschooling, be it by the parent or as you mentioned a private teacher. There are requirements/standards set by the state in which you reside.

The other option is the "protected environment" which may mean private school.

This is one reason why I would want to be anonymous, for the kids sake. I definitely would not want them to know diddly.

My opinion, private parochial school so they get the basics down in a structured environment.  At that age, I don't know if traveling the world would be the first thing on my mind as they are learning the basics (add, subtract, multiply, divide, rounding comparisons, read comp.) that require more structure than traditional education provides.  When all of the kids are in grades 4 through 8, traveling during vacation times to historical places that they learn about would be a great advantage.  You can travel to places like Greece, Rome, Egypt or England and France since they start introducing children to Ancient and Medieval History.  The other places to travel would be to New England and Jamestown, Gettysburg etc. which ties in with US History.  These can be done over a month during summer break.  The  travel should be entertaining, but also a learning experience that they could share for years to come.  Digital photography, a writing journal,  describing there trip would help. A laptop to keep things together would be very useful.

There are a few colleges that aren't looking at high school class rank, but the majority are.  Since this is the case, it is ever more important that there is stability during the high school years.  The other aspect that they will need is to develop social skills with peers at the same age level.  High school dances, sporting events, drama productions and just goofing off are important.

I would save the "romantic trips" with my significant other like a cruise to the tropics, Turks and Caicos, Bermuda when they are off in college.

Personally, I would try to make their lives as normal as possible, nothing fancy where they are waited on hand and foot all the time...."hotelitis"  While I might have money to pay for a maid and/or a nanny, the last thing I want to raise is the next Paris Hilton.

A couple of other thing that I forgot to mention is setting up the 529 plans for college and getting the kids involved with volunteer activities....the ADHD kicked in before I could add this.

$10,000 per year per child.  Of course having that kind of win/money could mean that you write a check and pay the tuition without blinking an eye, but I would like to have my money work for me.  If I save it, it earns money, then it means I can have more money to spend on other important things.

If I spend all of my time traveling, could I still do philanthropic things and volunteer work?  Making a monetary donation is nice.  Giving of my time is something that wealth could provide me with....I wouldn't need to work to pay the bills....as they would be paid.  My time is more free and unencumbered to do worthwhile things.  One of the first things that I would do is get in contact with the USMC at Christmas time, make a large toy donation, and dress like Santa Claus to deliver the toys. I would only ask that my name not be published (my name wouldn't matter, just the action).  It sounds hokey, but there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a child's smile at Christmas time.  I remember all too well some of the kids that I went to school with at Christmastime, whose parents lost jobs when the factory town we lived in was shutting down, when there would be a toy drive and some of those kids got a doll or a car that just meant the world to them. I just don't think that children should be deprived of childhood things.

I would also donate to a food bank and have my family volunteer at a soup kitchen....teaching them generosity (of time) would be the best education for them.

I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!          I Agree!  TIMES 10

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: October 4, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

i am not going to say i would do this or that, you say one thing and you end up doing something else...There are good public schools some and there are bad private schools...i will go with size, the smaller the better not too small...i did always prefered private over public but times are changing, inflation can kick in too..

in the private school there is like: 5 levels of private schools...

private schools are expensive too..for the price of a private school since they are expensive i will think one would rather save and buy him/her his car or if is a: $100,000 home he is going to get, pay half of it with the money of the private school

$500 x 12 months = $6,000

$6,000 x 7 years = $42,000...almost, 50% of a: $100,000 home...

Instead, out of the, $500 i will pay for private school, i rater take: $150 and hire someone to come 3 or 4 times a week, knowleageable in school subjects stay with my kid extra time like a second tutor/teacher and this way help my kid in anything he/she might had and push him also...

to me, i´ve always thought that a kid who brings, A in a public school is the same as a kid who brings -B in a private school...

but i still have more inclination towards private...what i cant stand and sorry to say this but i cant stand about this is that in the USA saying your kid goes to private school is sononym with race or is like saying he listens to classical music...i´ll worry more about my kid picking up smoking or listening to some music that is like thrash or all they say is thrash than i worry whether is private or public...plus i am more concern with the size of the school than i am concern with private or public issue...i will also worry that my kids goes to a well mixed school racially, where there is everything...eventually schools in the USA will be synonym with churches in the usa...i am also more concerning into instilling into my kid to do exercises EVERYDAY than i am concrern private or public...your kid gets fat later in life his wife girlfriiend leaves him, with half the house and now he has to start back from: 0 broke again...

i also dont see myself having kids if i have them i´ll adopt them...like how i was saying, OBESITY IS BIGGER THAN THE USA...I  always told myself i am going to have a kid i rather start with a chimpazee, i rather have a chimpazee than a kid...i am fond of chimpanzees...

and if i do have a kid i rather it be female...Dont got time to shot someone because they didnt listen to me.....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: October 4, 2010, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

i am not going to say i would do this or that, you say one thing and you end up doing something else...There are good public schools some and there are bad private schools...i will go with size, the smaller the better not too small...i did always prefered private over public but times are changing, inflation can kick in too..

private schools are expensive too..for the price of a private school since they are expensive i will think one would rather save and buy him/her his car or if is a: $100,000 home he is going to get, pay half of it with the money of the private school

Instead, out of the, $500 i will pay for private school, i rater take: $150 and hire someone to come 3 or 4 times a week, knowleageable in school subjects stay with my kid extra time like a second tutor/teacher and this way help my kid in anything he/she might had and push him also...

to me, i´ve always thought that a kid who brings, A in a public school is the same as a kid who brings -B in a private school...

but i still have more inclination towards private...what i cant stand and sorry to say this but i cant stand about this is that in the USA saying your kid goes to private school is sononym with race or is like saying he listens to classical music...i´ll worry more about my kid picking up smoking or listening to some music that is like thrash or all they say is thrash than i worry whether is private or public...plus i am more concern with the size of the school than i am concern with private or public issue...i will also worry that my kids goes to a well mixed school racially, where there is everything...eventually schools in the USA will be synonym with churches in the usa...i am also more concerning into instilling into my kid to do exercises EVERYDAY than i am concrern private or public...your kid gets fat later in life his wife girlfriiend leaves him, with half the house and now he has to start back from: 0 broke again...

i also dont see myself having kids if i have them i´ll adopt them...like how i was saying, OBESITY IS BIGGER THAN THE USA...I  always told myself i am going to have a kid i rather start with a chimpazee, i rather have a chimpazee than a kid...i am fond of chimpanzees...

and if i do have a kid i rather it be female...Dont got time to shot someone because they didnt listen to me.....

wish oriental asia national language was spanish...not talking about the middle east...how much i would had enjoy eating and my family eating ramen noodles for breakfast with some kind of soup everyday.....you know how beautiful ramen noodles with turkey saussage cutt up in small pieces taste for breaksfasts for your family instead of that junk they feed to their kids for breakfast...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: October 4, 2010, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

i am more concern with feeding my kids if i have them, feeding them, noodles with turkey saussage and a banana everyday for breakfast, everyday of his/her life than i am concern, public or private school..living in an island is something could too....Make my kids watch astronomy videos everyday than i am concern with public or private...take him/her to astronomy shows...make him/her an astronomy guru...cant stand when you ask a kid what is NASA and they dont know what it is...and if i could i´ll make my daughters get the operations not to have kids and then untie it when they are grown up and ready...

United States
                    Member #85338
                    January 13, 2010
                    143 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2010, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I like chimps too, but you can't teach them to say "pull my finger" while they are sitting in the back of the car.  At least it's a warning to roll down the windows....no chimp is going to sound off the alarm like that.

If you do have a daughter, she may not listen to you either and get pregnant by the guy who didn't listen to his father and shot someone.

I am glad that I have boys. Even though they are harder to potty train than girls.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10344 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2010, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

If someone with kids came into $60 million + they'd certainlh set aside money for those kids education. What I've always wondered abouyt, is what people think those kids will leanr in college that would equal that kind of money.

Revent when Bill gates & his wife were interviewed on 60 Minutes they talked about this, as they are giving away at least half of their fortune. They said the kids would go to college but later on the interviewer pointed out tht those kids will still be very wealthy.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2010, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

but guess what, science, the pursue of science is what drives me nuts i dont have the passion but is what ii want to do so bad more than have kids...just to know that we came from fishes makes me want to push harder, the things that surrounds us, creating worm holes, ect seen human kind jump hurdles that´s what i want to do...i always felt this way....

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2010, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I won't be using any 529 plan for their education! < Can be extremely taxed (the unused portion). 

YUP, you got it, an education trust fund. That's the only thing it can be used for. < not taxed as heavy as 529 plans! And it'll last for generations to come!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up