Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:13 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratcher's Odds

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
markaz's avatar - Pandaavatar
Peoria,AZ
United States
Member #98399
October 6, 2010
11 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2010, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Can someone please tell me how the odds are established for each prize level of a scratchers game? An example is this: In Arizona there is a $5 game I enjoy playing called Coffee Break Crossword. The Arizona Lottery website states that the odds in winning the top prize of $50,000 is 1:240,000. How is that calculated?

CB, Virginia
    United States
    Member #86202
    January 31, 2010
    37 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2010, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

They divide the total amount of tickets by winners. For eaxmple: If there were 500,000 top prizes in 2,000,000 tickets, the odds would be 1:4.

With scratchers however, there is a catch. At the start, the odds of winning a top prize were 240,000, but when one(or two or three) of them is claimed the odds change. As prizes are won the the original odds(1:240,000 in your case) are no longer true.

Edit: I said "total amount of tickets by winners", but since we're talking about just top prize odds I may be wrong. I think top prize odds are calculated by dividing the total amount of loosers by the amount of top prizes. Either way if one top prize has been claimed those odds are no longer true.

markaz's avatar - Pandaavatar
      Peoria,AZ
      United States
      Member #98399
      October 6, 2010
      11 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2010, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I don't see how they can establish odds at all for scratchers. Reason I say this is because winners are limitied to the sites where the tickets are distributed. Examaple: Let's say there is a game with sixteen (16) top prizes of $50,000. Those 16 tickets can only be purchased at 16 sites and if the store that I purchase my tickets in not one of the 16, then I have absolutely NO CHANCE of winning a top prize of $50,000. The odds for me is zero.  Without a single distribution center, how can this be?

Desperate people do desperate things.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5593 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2010, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

Top prize odds are calculated by dividing total number of tickets printed by the number of top prizes. Ie; top prize is $1 million, total number of top prize tickets printed is 3, total number of tickets printed is 3 million. Therefore, odds are 1 in 1 million.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)