Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

HELP! Macro to eliminate 5 match numbers

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7313 Posts
Posted: November 1, 2010, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

When I said likely, I simply meant that they weren't part of the unlikely group that would match four of previous drawn combinations which I observed only came up 1% of the time in a 649 game.  As I said before those combinations are just a drop in the bucket when you consider there are almost 14 millions possible combinations even though there are 13545 possible combinations that would match4 for every combination of 6 drawn.

When dealing that many possible combinations, there are always going to be some assumptions which is probably why so many players prefer pick3 games with only a 1000 possible combinations.

According to my Classic Lotto statistics four numbers from the previous drawing have never been drawn so you could safely say it's highly unlikely any combination using four of those numbers will be drawn in the next drawing. Three numbers only repeated 10 times out of the 573 drawings I tested so a 1.7% chance is unlikely too. Four numbers from the previous two drawings are at a 1.9% chance too. Six numbers from the previous 4 drawings have only hit twice and five numbers were drawn 16 or 2.8%.

If you're looking for something more likely to hit, three number from the previous 4 drawings are hitting at a 50% rate. That still leaves over 4 million combos, but that is a starting point.

With jackpots in the $5 to $10 million range, one only has to hit once to have a life changing event so only a fool would expect your system or any system to pick the right combo in every drawing. A pessimist will say we shouldn't eliminate any number because every number has a chance to be drawn, which is true but they only draw six numbers so it's not only unlikely but impossible for 43 of the numbers to be drawn every drawing. A system has to start somewhere and eliminating numbers and/or combs is a logical choice.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2010, 12:55 am - IP Logged

According to my Classic Lotto statistics four numbers from the previous drawing have never been drawn so you could safely say it's highly unlikely any combination using four of those numbers will be drawn in the next drawing. Three numbers only repeated 10 times out of the 573 drawings I tested so a 1.7% chance is unlikely too. Four numbers from the previous two drawings are at a 1.9% chance too. Six numbers from the previous 4 drawings have only hit twice and five numbers were drawn 16 or 2.8%.

If you're looking for something more likely to hit, three number from the previous 4 drawings are hitting at a 50% rate. That still leaves over 4 million combos, but that is a starting point.

With jackpots in the $5 to $10 million range, one only has to hit once to have a life changing event so only a fool would expect your system or any system to pick the right combo in every drawing. A pessimist will say we shouldn't eliminate any number because every number has a chance to be drawn, which is true but they only draw six numbers so it's not only unlikely but impossible for 43 of the numbers to be drawn every drawing. A system has to start somewhere and eliminating numbers and/or combs is a logical choice.

Tonight jackpot was raised to $12.8M, that's $6.4M cash or $425K+ yearly which is 10x my pension and SS so I could live with that.  I could spend $5K weekly and have money left over.

I liked the numbers I picked tonight, only match 3 once with 20 lines but had I narrowed my selections to just the main group of numbers I selected I might have done better since all 6 winning numbers were in that group.  Tonight's numbers didn't change the distribution of the numbers very much so I'll be trying Wednesday what I wish I had done Monday.  Until MegaMillions get back up to $50M+, I'll probably just play Classic Lotto until someone wins it, hope it's me.

I had my program to do a search for the 2 winning combinations you mentioned with 6 numbers that had hit in the previous 4 drawings.

12/20/08 - 06 14 29 31 36 43
     02/19/07 - 03 19 21 29 46 47

I was surprised to see that also 13 combinations had 5 numbers, 68 combinations had 4 numbers and 191 combinations had 3 numbers that hit in the previous 4 drawings and the number pool size was 15-24. That calculates out to a 47% chance of having at least three of the winning numbers if you used the 15-24 numbers in the previous 4 drawings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #93947
      July 10, 2010
      2180 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2010, 2:32 am - IP Logged

RJOH

I once read in the Bible that God caused a ass to speak. I though it was fable but now think it could

be Quite true.  My wife has a system of hitting 2 or 3 numbers on one line with about 75%  hit rate.

The odds for any one drawing are for selecting a set at random,  does this mean that if the set is not

selected at random the odds do not apply?  Way back, when I first studied statistics it was used by

applying certian data to the masses.  If it is used to calculate a single event or small sample  then it is

very often missleading.  A simple coin toss can explain this. The odds are 50/50 not counting the

chance that it could land on it's edge, but it is quite possible for 10 heads up to appear in 10 tosses. 

Given that each toss has a 50/50 chance and that the expected average for 10 tosses would be 50%

heads and 50% tails +/- some deviation then 10 straight heads would lead me to think that some

sort of unknown exist within the method of tossing the coin.  This could easily be explained away by

using probability but the exact cause could never be proven.  The number of unknown variables that

could effect the outcome of the toss could never be known.   However these same unknown variables

creat a bias for one outcome verses the other.  Certain people do not understand what they think they

know so well.  I like the Wikipedia definition of Probability  "A way of expressing knowledge or belief

that an event will or has occurred.  To draw conclusions about the likelihood of potential events and the

underlying mechanics of complex systems."   The words "Belief and likelihood" are the kickers here.  The

only true measure of any method would be if the outcome beats the predicted odds for the event.  The

results you posted have done this.  This would be the end of the story for most but not for those fooled 

by the "fooled by randomness"  joke.   Just as probability was meant to be used as a tool to help give

some idea of an event happening, the fooled by randomness is a poor excuse that is used when the

results don't match the expected outcome.  Ping pong balls bouncing off one another and air being

used to blow the balls around have nothing to do with selecting the numbers for the next drawing.  The

balls have no memory but who cares as it has nothing to with selecting numbers.  I have seen numbers

go more then 100 draws without hitting.  We that pick or own numbers are not predicting what will 

happen but rather play what we think or beleive will happen.  Those that beleive that they can predict

that the numbers we play will fail are the ones that should take a good look at just what they are saying

and how two faced it really is. 

RL

"We that pick or own numbers are not predicting what will happen but rather play what we think or beleive will happen."

Hhhhmmmm...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2010, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

I once read in the Bible that God caused a ass to speak. I though it was fable but now think it could

be Quite true.  My wife has a system of hitting 2 or 3 numbers on one line with about 75%  hit rate.

The odds for any one drawing are for selecting a set at random,  does this mean that if the set is not

selected at random the odds do not apply?  Way back, when I first studied statistics it was used by

applying certian data to the masses.  If it is used to calculate a single event or small sample  then it is

very often missleading.  A simple coin toss can explain this. The odds are 50/50 not counting the

chance that it could land on it's edge, but it is quite possible for 10 heads up to appear in 10 tosses. 

Given that each toss has a 50/50 chance and that the expected average for 10 tosses would be 50%

heads and 50% tails +/- some deviation then 10 straight heads would lead me to think that some

sort of unknown exist within the method of tossing the coin.  This could easily be explained away by

using probability but the exact cause could never be proven.  The number of unknown variables that

could effect the outcome of the toss could never be known.   However these same unknown variables

creat a bias for one outcome verses the other.  Certain people do not understand what they think they

know so well.  I like the Wikipedia definition of Probability  "A way of expressing knowledge or belief

that an event will or has occurred.  To draw conclusions about the likelihood of potential events and the

underlying mechanics of complex systems."   The words "Belief and likelihood" are the kickers here.  The

only true measure of any method would be if the outcome beats the predicted odds for the event.  The

results you posted have done this.  This would be the end of the story for most but not for those fooled 

by the "fooled by randomness"  joke.   Just as probability was meant to be used as a tool to help give

some idea of an event happening, the fooled by randomness is a poor excuse that is used when the

results don't match the expected outcome.  Ping pong balls bouncing off one another and air being

used to blow the balls around have nothing to do with selecting the numbers for the next drawing.  The

balls have no memory but who cares as it has nothing to with selecting numbers.  I have seen numbers

go more then 100 draws without hitting.  We that pick or own numbers are not predicting what will 

happen but rather play what we think or beleive will happen.  Those that beleive that they can predict

that the numbers we play will fail are the ones that should take a good look at just what they are saying

and how two faced it really is. 

RL

I look at lottery predictions as an attempt to forecast lottery drawing results before the actual drawing based on past results, statistics and anything else that one thinks will help.  At LP predictions are done for entertainment and as a hobby and is not meant to be taken to the bank regardless of the seriousness of the predictors.  Playing and discussing the lotteries is a form of entertainment to me.

When some predictors post over 5000 combinations a day and are lucky to have even 1% of them score a low level prize that should tell you that they aren't playing all their predictions and neither should you.

I enjoy picking my own combinations to play and I usually post the first 10 on the prediction board just for my entertainment and bragging rights and to see how I compare with others doing the same thing but they aren't meant to be a guide for what others should be playing.

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: November 3, 2010, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Tonight jackpot was raised to $12.8M, that's $6.4M cash or $425K+ yearly which is 10x my pension and SS so I could live with that.  I could spend $5K weekly and have money left over.

I liked the numbers I picked tonight, only match 3 once with 20 lines but had I narrowed my selections to just the main group of numbers I selected I might have done better since all 6 winning numbers were in that group.  Tonight's numbers didn't change the distribution of the numbers very much so I'll be trying Wednesday what I wish I had done Monday.  Until MegaMillions get back up to $50M+, I'll probably just play Classic Lotto until someone wins it, hope it's me.

I had my program to do a search for the 2 winning combinations you mentioned with 6 numbers that had hit in the previous 4 drawings.

12/20/08 - 06 14 29 31 36 43
           02/19/07 - 03 19 21 29 46 47

I was surprised to see that also 13 combinations had 5 numbers, 68 combinations had 4 numbers and 191 combinations had 3 numbers that hit in the previous 4 drawings and the number pool size was 15-24. That calculates out to a 47% chance of having at least three of the winning numbers if you used the 15-24 numbers in the previous 4 drawings.

"I liked the numbers I picked tonight ..."

Yeah, but will you still respect them after tonight's drawing? LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2010, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

"I liked the numbers I picked tonight ..."

Yeah, but will you still respect them after tonight's drawing? LOL

All the winning numbers were in the mix, I just failed to get more than three of them on the same line so I can't blame them. No Nod

Evil Looking