Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What happens if a refugee wins a big jackpot??

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Daveyl.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Super-man's avatar - avatarsupes
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Member #69243
January 6, 2009
15 Posts
Posted: November 5, 2010, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Hey everyone! I was just wondering what would happen if a refugee seeking political asylum here in the US won the Powerball/Mega Millions jackpot? I know someone who moved in our block last 2008 who's in that situation and from what I'm told, he and his family would be making a court appearance in the middle of next year. Like me, he's an avid lotto player (with big dreams I guess) where we would bump into each other at a corner store from time to time. From the looks of it (I didn't bother to ask), he makes both ends meet by doing errands and odd jobs with the help of a relative who's a resident alien. 

So it makes me wonder...from what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't open a bank account (savings, checking, etc.) here in the US if you don't have proper ID, SSN, or if you're not a legal resident or citizen. What happens then if he wins (e.g. this upcoming Powerball jackpot of $123,000,000) and claim the prize yet he doesn't have a bank account; how can he get a hold of his winnings? Would the Lottery Commission make an exemption and contact a certain bank so he can open an account to deposit the prize (despite having no IDs, etc. with pending asylum court hearing)? Or the Commission would instead "freeze" his prize money and wait for further developments of his immigration status? 

No matter what happens though (win or lose the jackpot), I wish my neighbor would be just fine with his new life here in our country.

"Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire" - Oskar Schindler

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8365 Posts
    Posted: November 5, 2010, 1:44 am - IP Logged

The lottery will give him a check they do not advise you where to cash it they might tell him to get an attorney.

There are thousands if not millions of illegals who have bank accounts.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 5, 2010, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Hey everyone! I was just wondering what would happen if a refugee seeking political asylum here in the US won the Powerball/Mega Millions jackpot? I know someone who moved in our block last 2008 who's in that situation and from what I'm told, he and his family would be making a court appearance in the middle of next year. Like me, he's an avid lotto player (with big dreams I guess) where we would bump into each other at a corner store from time to time. From the looks of it (I didn't bother to ask), he makes both ends meet by doing errands and odd jobs with the help of a relative who's a resident alien. 

So it makes me wonder...from what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't open a bank account (savings, checking, etc.) here in the US if you don't have proper ID, SSN, or if you're not a legal resident or citizen. What happens then if he wins (e.g. this upcoming Powerball jackpot of $123,000,000) and claim the prize yet he doesn't have a bank account; how can he get a hold of his winnings? Would the Lottery Commission make an exemption and contact a certain bank so he can open an account to deposit the prize (despite having no IDs, etc. with pending asylum court hearing)? Or the Commission would instead "freeze" his prize money and wait for further developments of his immigration status? 

No matter what happens though (win or lose the jackpot), I wish my neighbor would be just fine with his new life here in our country.

As long as he is here seeking political asylum legitimately I support him.

If however, he is an illegal alien, it is my belief that he should return to his home country sans any lottery winnings.

As long as there are people waiting in line as prescribed I can't support anybody profitting by breaking our laws.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40611 Posts
        Posted: November 5, 2010, 8:23 am - IP Logged

As long as he is here seeking political asylum legitimately I support him.

If however, he is an illegal alien, it is my belief that he should return to his home country sans any lottery winnings.

As long as there are people waiting in line as prescribed I can't support anybody profitting by breaking our laws.

I agree with Ridge, if we break our laws we go to jail, prison and pay big fines .

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Monkey Butt, USA
          United States
          Member #54569
          August 23, 2007
          1124 Posts
          Posted: November 5, 2010, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

First things first. Your neighbor need to look into opening up his bank account. Either with a bank or a credit union. Once he has his account then when he wins a large jackpot he can either deposit the check or have the money electroniclly deposited into his account.

If he does not have all the necessary paperwork needed to open a bank account then maybe he could talk to someone at the immigration office.

Not sure.

Wish your neighbor well in getting asylum and hope everything work out well for him and his family.

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: November 5, 2010, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

The odds are he probably won't win so I wouldn't go worrying about these kinds of things until it happens Crazy

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2010, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

IMHO he should be given a check for the jackpot and a one way flight to the country of his choice.  England is fine this time of year (or so I hear).

United States
                Member #83701
                December 13, 2009
                225 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2010, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Anyone from any country in whatever legal status can apply for a SSN.   It's just an identifier for the IRS.   Conversely, you can apply for a tax identifier in any country you choose as well, you don't have to be a citizen or even legal to stand up and say "Hey, can tax me too?"

People seeking asylum most definitely have had an SSN issued to them if nothing else but to identify them.

If someone seeking asylum wins the lottery, there's a good chance he'll be granted asylum to keep the tax dollars in the country.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2010, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Anyone from any country in whatever legal status can apply for a SSN.   It's just an identifier for the IRS.   Conversely, you can apply for a tax identifier in any country you choose as well, you don't have to be a citizen or even legal to stand up and say "Hey, can tax me too?"

People seeking asylum most definitely have had an SSN issued to them if nothing else but to identify them.

If someone seeking asylum wins the lottery, there's a good chance he'll be granted asylum to keep the tax dollars in the country.

Amazing how things change.

I have my original Social Security card and on it, it says : "Not To Be Used For Identification"

That, by the way, is what the Federal Government promised us. Those numbers would never be used to identify us.

And they remain just as trustworthy today as then, if not more. 

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2010, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Amazing how things change.

I have my original Social Security card and on it, it says : "Not To Be Used For Identification"

That, by the way, is what the Federal Government promised us. Those numbers would never be used to identify us.

And they remain just as trustworthy today as then, if not more. 

Not to be used by anyone other than the IRS for identification, the only people who should use it would be your employer, the IRS and you.   Of course, that's violated by virtually everyone.   The SSN is also known as a TIN, Taxpayer's Identification Number particularly when it's assigned to an entity like a corporation.   The government will say anything to the public.

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: November 6, 2010, 12:57 am - IP Logged

What would happen?

He/she would probably pay a flee. There's no escaping that. That's what the law dictates.

I knew a refugee who won, but the the system drove him so crazy, that the officials sought an asylum, and placed him in a straightjacket.

Sacramento, CA
                        United States
                        Member #96354
                        August 28, 2010
                        159 Posts
                        Posted: November 6, 2010, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

If that's the case (refugees winning) I wanna be a refugee! I really don't know what criteria applies in your scenario. If the Lottery rules specify United States citizenship as a prerequisite for awarding jackpots,  they would have to have attained that status.