Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Jackpot Starter Checks?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 6 years ago by west2500.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rukiafae's avatar - box
NC
United States
Member #100192
November 7, 2010
125 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I did a search but couldnt find anything about it and my husband and I have differing opinions so I thought I'd ask the 'experts' LOL

When a person wins a large jackpot (as in powerball or megamilions) I know it takes several weeks (not exactly sure how long) to get all of your money. Mr. rukia (haha he'd kill me for that one) says that you get a starter check when you initially claim the prize- around $50,000. I say no you don't, that you have to wait till the money transfers over to you, that you dont get a starter check.

anyone know whose right???

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2010, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I did a search but couldnt find anything about it and my husband and I have differing opinions so I thought I'd ask the 'experts' LOL

When a person wins a large jackpot (as in powerball or megamilions) I know it takes several weeks (not exactly sure how long) to get all of your money. Mr. rukia (haha he'd kill me for that one) says that you get a starter check when you initially claim the prize- around $50,000. I say no you don't, that you have to wait till the money transfers over to you, that you dont get a starter check.

I've never heard of that Rukia and I kind of doubt it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Monkey Butt, USA
      United States
      Member #54569
      August 23, 2007
      1124 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2010, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

It may vary by state.

But I do not think that the lottery will give a starter check.

The amount of time it takes to get the jack pot winnings may also vary by state to state also.

I know here in TX you must make an appointment before you go running to Austin to cash in your winning major jackpot ticket.

Anything 1 million dollars or less can be cashed in at the local lottery office.

But above 1 million dollars have to be verified at the local lottery office and the appointment made before making the trip to Austin to cash in the ticket.

According to the TX Lottery Commission, if you go directly to Austin, you will be sent back to your local lottery office to have the ticket verified first.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
        Magnolia, Delaware
        United States
        Member #18795
        July 20, 2005
        789 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2010, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

It may vary by state.

But I do not think that the lottery will give a starter check.

The amount of time it takes to get the jack pot winnings may also vary by state to state also.

I know here in TX you must make an appointment before you go running to Austin to cash in your winning major jackpot ticket.

Anything 1 million dollars or less can be cashed in at the local lottery office.

But above 1 million dollars have to be verified at the local lottery office and the appointment made before making the trip to Austin to cash in the ticket.

According to the TX Lottery Commission, if you go directly to Austin, you will be sent back to your local lottery office to have the ticket verified first.

Yes it does vary from state to state. Good ol Jack Whitataker received a 10 million dollar check from his state when he laid claim to that huge jackpot (that might have been VA's part that their players could have been entitled/percentage). But that is also nothing but here say too I might add!

I would think it's best if you contact your state head lottery office and ask them how it's handled in your state if they issue a check of any kind to the winner or not!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

stripesnsolids's avatar - box
          GA
          United States
          Member #97845
          September 25, 2010
          40 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2010, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't know for sure either but I'd like to know.

rukiafae's avatar - box
            NC
            United States
            Member #100192
            November 7, 2010
            125 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2010, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

hmmm at least were not the only ones who dont know LOL. ill send the lotto commission an email and see what they say (will let you all know)

Monkey Butt, USA
              United States
              Member #54569
              August 23, 2007
              1124 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2010, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

hmmm at least were not the only ones who dont know LOL. ill send the lotto commission an email and see what they say (will let you all know)

Look forward to hearing what they have to say. LOL!!

THX for posting a great question.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: November 8, 2010, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes it does vary from state to state. Good ol Jack Whitataker received a 10 million dollar check from his state when he laid claim to that huge jackpot (that might have been VA's part that their players could have been entitled/percentage). But that is also nothing but here say too I might add!

I would think it's best if you contact your state head lottery office and ask them how it's handled in your state if they issue a check of any kind to the winner or not!

Yea I remember reading in one article that you receive some of the money your state has and then once all the money from other states has been sent in they send/wire you that money.

I didn't know about having to verify the winning lottery ticket via your local office, though if I ever won I would definitely call the head office first to see what has to be done. I'd have my lawyer accept for me so wouldn't have to worry about being forced to do some large appearance.

United States
                  Member #61232
                  May 16, 2008
                  126 Posts
                  Posted: November 8, 2010, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

According to the Delaware Lottery FAQ, if you win the PB or MM jackpot it takes about 2 weeks to get paid.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2010, 4:11 am - IP Logged

I was looking on the PB/MM sites and on the MegaMillions one it says that if you choose annuity "the first payment is an immediate cash payment" for both MM and PB. On the PowerBall site it mentions that if you choose cash and go to turn in the ticket 2 weeks after the drawing you should get the money within 1-2 business days (presumably since time has already passed for the other states to send in their share of the winnings).

Though I'm not sure if it's a joke or something (there's quite a few of them) but on the PowerBall FAQ's it says they may give a smaller check while they wait for the two weeks to pass (this may be whatever your individual state has in sales). I didn't notice anything about this on the MegaMillions site (which is a much more professional approach) so I'm going to say that the 2 weeks before anything is all we solidly know until they get back to you via email.

Sacramento, CA
                      United States
                      Member #96354
                      August 28, 2010
                      159 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2010, 6:40 am - IP Logged

It takes about a month for the first check to arrive. I would imagine during that time lottery investigators are researching the background of the winner. When the first big jackpot was being advertised here in California, one lottery spokesperson stated that a check would be cut "Right away" for the winner. Since that time, I think they have been reluctant to issue checks until they find out for sure whether the winner is eligible.

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: November 9, 2010, 8:48 am - IP Logged

I know once that a Michigan winner got $1 million first check. And a S Dakota winner had to wait. I would try and negotiate something,  and if that wouldn't work, I would take any confirmation to a bank to get a quick loan to get the things done that I need to get done. My cooperation with them would match their cooperation with me....... 

MarkP

rukiafae's avatar - box
                          NC
                          United States
                          Member #100192
                          November 7, 2010
                          125 Posts
                          Posted: November 9, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I emailed them last night, no response as of yet.

Monkey Butt, USA
                            United States
                            Member #54569
                            August 23, 2007
                            1124 Posts
                            Posted: November 9, 2010, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Yea I remember reading in one article that you receive some of the money your state has and then once all the money from other states has been sent in they send/wire you that money.

I didn't know about having to verify the winning lottery ticket via your local office, though if I ever won I would definitely call the head office first to see what has to be done. I'd have my lawyer accept for me so wouldn't have to worry about being forced to do some large appearance.

This is what I pulled from the TX Lottery website.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Winners/Claim_Your_Prize/

HOW AND WHERE DO I CLAIM MY PRIZE?

It's easy to claim your prize.

This table illustrates where you can claim different prize levels.

We recommend that players contact the Texas Lottery Claim Center in their area, or 1-800-375-6886, for hours of operation and to be certain they have all the necessary information prior to traveling to Austin or any Texas Lottery Claim Center.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for claims that are mailed in to be processed.

Prizes over $1 million or more, all  Lotto Texas, Powerball, and Mega Millions jackpot prizes, and all prizes that are paid out in annuity payments

Prizes over $1 million or more, all  Lotto Texas, Powerball, and Mega Millions jackpot prizes, and all prizes that are paid out in annuity payments must be claimed at the Texas Lottery Commission Headquarters in Austin.

If you believe you are a holder of such a ticket, please call 1-800-375-6886 to complete an initial inquiry on your ticket and to schedule an appointment to complete the processing of your claim.

I also remember reading about this in one of the brochures that the lottery publishes every two months.

rukiafae's avatar - box
                              NC
                              United States
                              Member #100192
                              November 7, 2010
                              125 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

here is the response from the NC Lottery. I asked a few questions - the first about starter checks, claiming through a trust or corporation, and how long it takes to get your money (in the case of a lump sum payout). Note, they did not respond to the one about Starter checks - I don't know if this was deliberate or just an oversight. I also swear I had read somewhere on their site photos were not mandatory, but I can't find it now. ohhhh the problems I hope to be facing soon... LOL

Thanks for sending us your question.

You can find how to claim your winnings on our website at this web link;

(link)

It takes at least 14 business days to redeem your winnings when it’s Powerball or Mega Millions because you have to wait on other states to send in the money. You cannot claim your prizes as a trust or corporation. You will have to do a press conference along with pictures.

Thanks for playing!

Player Info