Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Support Your State's Economy

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2010, 4:25 am - IP Logged

As State Governments require more revenue, one way to help you state generate additional revenue, is to participate in your state's lottery. You may win the jackpot, or a large prize. But even if you don't win a lottery prize, you will benefit from the additional revenue raised.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2010, 4:43 am - IP Logged

As State Governments require more revenue, one way to help you state generate additional revenue, is to participate in your state's lottery. You may win the jackpot, or a large prize. But even if you don't win a lottery prize, you will benefit from the additional revenue raised.

I respectfully disagree.

I don't know about your country but here in the US, the states aren't much better at handling money than the federal government. The more they get, the more they squander. Then they start projecting revenue before they've gotten it and start spending that.

The people who earn the money are infinitely better at handling it, budgeting it and spending it than any government agency.

The less money the government gets the better.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40609 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2010, 6:49 am - IP Logged

I respectfully disagree.

I don't know about your country but here in the US, the states aren't much better at handling money than the federal government. The more they get, the more they squander. Then they start projecting revenue before they've gotten it and start spending that.

The people who earn the money are infinitely better at handling it, budgeting it and spending it than any government agency.

The less money the government gets the better.

I agree.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10354 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:06 am - IP Logged

myturn,

Rdgrnr and sully16 have it right. Some states with lotteries practice "voodoo accounting". Whatever goes into "bucks for education", for example, is canceled out by something else that sucks the money out of the school funds before the schools even get it.

If that wasn't the case, tens of thousands of teachers would not havde been laid off in the past few years. The schools wouldn't be beging for money for this and that, and they would all have much nicer facilities than they do now.

But all that aside, I'm still willing to go a few bucks at a time to help the governor pay for his lunch!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.