Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Pool Glitch

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 6 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2010, 10:54 am - IP Logged

As I've posted about before, I run a lottery pool with me my coworkers but have run into a little glitch.  I buy multidraw Powerball and Lotto tickets every payday to cover 2 weeks of drawings.  It turns out, one of the drawing dates is Christmas day.  The glitch is Powerball does draw on Christmas day, but Louisiana Lotto doesn't, so when the tickets printed, the last drawing for Louisiana Lotto is January 1.  When I buy the next round of tickets, we'll basically be buying twice the January 1 drawing, since our next payday is December 31.  Nobody has said anything since I gave out the copies of the tickets on Friday.  Not sure what to say when the question is asked.

Any Advice?

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Monkey Butt, USA
    United States
    Member #54569
    August 23, 2007
    1124 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2010, 11:27 am - IP Logged

As I've posted about before, I run a lottery pool with me my coworkers but have run into a little glitch.  I buy multidraw Powerball and Lotto tickets every payday to cover 2 weeks of drawings.  It turns out, one of the drawing dates is Christmas day.  The glitch is Powerball does draw on Christmas day, but Louisiana Lotto doesn't, so when the tickets printed, the last drawing for Louisiana Lotto is January 1.  When I buy the next round of tickets, we'll basically be buying twice the January 1 drawing, since our next payday is December 31.  Nobody has said anything since I gave out the copies of the tickets on Friday.  Not sure what to say when the question is asked.

Any Advice?

Easy, ask all the members if they want to purchase extra numbers for Louisiana Lotto drawing 01-01-11 or wait for the next drawing since you already have numbers for that drawing. And let the majority of the yes or no's rule.

Since you are running the pool it is your responsibilit to bring this up so that there is no mistrust among you. You never know what a person is thinking or what would raise their suspicions. Especially when you are dealing with their money.

Hope this helps.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51064 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2010, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Any Advice?

In NJ: Even though they don't have Lottery Drawings on 12/25: You can still buy PB Tickets for 12/25.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7343 Posts
        Posted: December 20, 2010, 10:37 am - IP Logged

In NJ: Even though they don't have Lottery Drawings on 12/25: You can still buy PB Tickets for 12/25.

I thought it was odd too they don't sell tickets for multi state drawings even if their state won't be having any drawings. If a state lottery agrees to sell tickets they must sell tickets for all the drawings.

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          700 Posts
          Posted: December 23, 2010, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Easy, ask all the members if they want to purchase extra numbers for Louisiana Lotto drawing 01-01-11 or wait for the next drawing since you already have numbers for that drawing. And let the majority of the yes or no's rule.

Since you are running the pool it is your responsibilit to bring this up so that there is no mistrust among you. You never know what a person is thinking or what would raise their suspicions. Especially when you are dealing with their money.

Hope this helps.

I basically took your advice, but offered some additional options.  In addition to the extra Lotto numbers, I also offered Easy 5 numbers or to charge 50 cents less.  I don't have all the votes in yet, but it looks like we might get extra lotto numbers.  Fortunately, nobody was upset about it at all and understood it was an honest mistake on my part.  During the last few years I've been running this pool, Chirstmas hasn't been on a Saturday, so I didn't even think about it. 

Looks like everything is going to be OK after all.  I do my best to run an honest pool and it looks like my members know that.

Prisoner Six

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51064 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2010, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I basically took your advice, but offered some additional options.  In addition to the extra Lotto numbers, I also offered Easy 5 numbers or to charge 50 cents less.  I don't have all the votes in yet, but it looks like we might get extra lotto numbers.  Fortunately, nobody was upset about it at all and understood it was an honest mistake on my part.  During the last few years I've been running this pool, Chirstmas hasn't been on a Saturday, so I didn't even think about it. 

Looks like everything is going to be OK after all.  I do my best to run an honest pool and it looks like my members know that.

Apparently Louisiana still participated in PowerBall on 12/25:

12/25 Results=01-17-38-50-52 PB-24 (Power Play=2)

5 Players Matched 5+0:
            - 1 from Illinois
            - 1 from Louisiana with Power Play
            - 1 from New York
            - 1 from North Dakota with Power Play
            - 1 from Pennsylvania with Power Play

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7343 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2010, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

5 Players Matched 5+0:
              - 1 from Illinois
              - 1 from New York

I can understand if any state lottery shuts down on Christmas or even every Sunday, you can't buy lottery tickets on those days, but saw no reason why LA players couldn't buy PB tickets the days before. Looks like another example of bad information from a store clerk.

Monkey Butt, USA
                United States
                Member #54569
                August 23, 2007
                1124 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2010, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

So glad to hear that everything worked out for your group.

As long as you keep it real with the members, the members will keep it real with you.

Used to be part of a group at work and it became too much of a dictatorship so I opted to bow out instead of continuing.

All suggestions were always rejected and only certain members could make up their numbers where others could not.

Last I heard the group faded in to nothinng because the interest was only surface dressing until the jackpots were big.

My hat is off to you for doing the committed thing you do in running a lottery pool. You truly are a tolerant person.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  700 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

5 Players Matched 5+0:
                  - 1 from Illinois
                  - 1 from New York

Yes, we did participate in Powerball, the issue arose from Louisiana Lotto.  Louisiana has it in it's lottery law that drawings aren't held on certain holidays, such as Christmas and Easter.  This only impacts Louisiana drawing games, like Lotto, Pick 3, Pick 4, Easy 5, but since Powerball isn't operated by Louisiana but instead by the MUSL, it isn't subject to that law.  As for selling tickets on Christmas, I don't know because I've never tried to buy on Christmas.

Prisoner Six

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    700 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2010, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

So glad to hear that everything worked out for your group.

As long as you keep it real with the members, the members will keep it real with you.

Used to be part of a group at work and it became too much of a dictatorship so I opted to bow out instead of continuing.

All suggestions were always rejected and only certain members could make up their numbers where others could not.

Last I heard the group faded in to nothinng because the interest was only surface dressing until the jackpots were big.

My hat is off to you for doing the committed thing you do in running a lottery pool. You truly are a tolerant person.

I didn't intend to be running a pool actually.  Me and the lady I shared my office with decided to pool our money and buy tickets together, then others found out and wanted in, and it grew from there.  I don't want to be a dictator, I always ask the members to vote when something arises.  Fortunately, the members are pretty good people and never have any complaints, and seem to be satisfied with how I run things.

Now if I could just get a winner.

Prisoner Six