Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 11:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you or anyone you known tipped clerks that have helped you select a winning instant ticket?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 6 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
The Ville, FL
United States
Member #95879
August 19, 2010
1708 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the clerk for me anymore....I used to tip this one clerk until I found out he was playing my numbers, he had the audacity to get mad at me when I went on a losing streak, because he was wasting his money, now I play all over and I don't always cash my winners at the same place. The less the clerks know about my business the better.

I Agree!

No I do not tip clerks. I spend my hard earned money.  Even if the clerk did tell me which roll one had a bunch of losers, I wouldnt tell them if I won. If you tell the clerk that you won (for example) $500 then they might expect a piece of the pie.

Its like letting the clerk gamble with your money, if you are giving some of it back to them.

taxijohn's avatar - odometer444
    Dutchess County, New York
    United States
    Member #8067
    October 22, 2004
    3239 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2010, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

NO, most of them are miserable little <snip>s anyway, most of the time they are on the phone. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

A few months ago I hit a scratch off for $500 and the clerk said "how much do you want back?" I said "what?"  He said "yeah, don't you want to give me a tip?" I said, "you know what, give me back the ticket.  I went to my local A&P, the girl smiled and said, "oh, congratunlations" counted the money and I gave her $20, why, because she deserved it and he was a <snip>.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

GOD is great, beer is good and people are crazy! Crazy

"I don't look for the numbers, the numbers look for and sometimes find me..."

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2010, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

NO, most of them are miserable little <snip>s anyway, most of the time they are on the phone. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

A few months ago I hit a scratch off for $500 and the clerk said "how much do you want back?" I said "what?"  He said "yeah, don't you want to give me a tip?" I said, "you know what, give me back the ticket.  I went to my local A&P, the girl smiled and said, "oh, congratunlations" counted the money and I gave her $20, why, because she deserved it and he was a <snip>.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Yea thats crazy. This chick at the local gas station has said things like that before to me...She kinda laughed it off but I know she was being serious....Im sorry but i dont think a clerk deserves a tip for ripping of a ticket and handing it to me.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19898 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2010, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

No I do not tip clerks. I spend my hard earned money.  Even if the clerk did tell me which roll one had a bunch of losers, I wouldnt tell them if I won. If you tell the clerk that you won (for example) $500 then they might expect a piece of the pie.

Its like letting the clerk gamble with your money, if you are giving some of it back to them.

Why do you think some clerks get jobs at these places?  The better clerks get better jobs offers and move on while others just hang on dreaming someone will hit it big and share with them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #97729
          September 22, 2010
          321 Posts
          Posted: December 24, 2010, 7:04 am - IP Logged

Well there goes my dream of an unholy alliance with a clerk. I just wanted to see if such a system existed, but it looks like no one is paying off clerks to help them win. I was hoping that there was some way to convince them NOT to sell me tickets that are no good, or get them to let me know when they TRULY believe that a ticket is good, not just trying to sell the last few in the pack, so that they can open another one. Lets just face it, when a person with any kind strategy knows that a larger than average ticket has been paid out of a roll, they aren't going to buy any more, so the tickets are going to sit. Most salespeople know this, so I think they tell people what they want to hear in order to convince them to buy the tickets. I guess there are not any clerks that steer their favorite customers toward a likely win, while trying to help them avoid as much loss as possible.

I have been trying to determine how to tell if a clerk is most likely lying, other than by their guilty look that some of them demonstrate when they are lying, and not real good at it. When you ask them if there have been any big winners on that roll, most of them will either say A) I don't know, because I just started working a few minutes/hours ago, or B) No, there haven't really been many winners, just free tickets and small payouts. Then they may go on to tell you that because it is the last ticket in the roll that it is lucky or if it is the next to last ticket they will try and convince you to buy both of them. 

Some will be honest and tell you not to buy a certain ticket, because there was just a winner, but I think clerks like that are the exception, not the rule. I just don't know too many that will do that. I guess if I hear either of those answers I should not buy any from that roll, because most likely it is a lie. Maybe I actually need to spell out the dollar amount. For example, instead of "have there been any big winners?" I should ask, "Have you had any winners on this roll that have paid out at least $50?" After all, the term "big winner" is highly subjective. A big winner might mean $20 to one person, $100 to another, $500 to yet another, and to some, a big winner might only be a top prize or a jackpot.

It has been an extremely rare ticket salesperson who admits that they play. Most of them say that they don't play, at least 99% that I talk to deny it, and most of them tell me without any prompting. For some unforeseen reason, they feel that they need to blurt out the fact that they don't play. Perhaps this is a sure sign that they do. Are there any hard and fast rules for determining if a clerk or someone else employed there plays? Let me know if you have any methods of determining if clerks play or not, especially those who claim not to, but really do. How can you tell, other than buying a ticket, and then hiding in the bushes and watching them with binoculars? I really believe that you are fighting an uphill battle if the clerk plays. They are in a better position than you to know what the overall picture is.

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
            Lower MI
            United States
            Member #94546
            July 22, 2010
            247 Posts
            Posted: December 24, 2010, 8:56 am - IP Logged

One of the clerks at my fav stop is going to drive me to Lansing to get my big win =).. We talk about it all the time!

The clerks really don't know where the winning tickets are just like you and I don't.

How bout another customer?  - Have you ever shared your winnings?  Happened to me the other day- you will like this story, carhauler - it was a $10 ticket he was scratching when I walked in - he said he WON !  And he did- it was a $250 winner !  The clerk told him to buy the last ticket - #49 ... He wasn't going to buy it- the clerk said go ahead buy the last one- he was  buying the next to the last one- it won $15.

I looked at him and said 'I am so very happy for you- how cool is that - Merry Christmas - wow thats neat..' The clerk tossed out the next book of them tickets and said you want another one?  I said 'buy two - one for me one for you' ! And he did- let me pick which one I wanted- I said we split it 50/50 and he said yup! We both won $10 so we were even- we each got another kind of ticket- no winner- he got a few more and  I left - told him how happy I was for him and he said he was glad he made me smile =)..

Merry Christmas !

fort washington md
              United States
              Member #81918
              November 1, 2009
              602 Posts
              Posted: December 24, 2010, 9:30 am - IP Logged

One of the clerks at my fav stop is going to drive me to Lansing to get my big win =).. We talk about it all the time!

The clerks really don't know where the winning tickets are just like you and I don't.

How bout another customer?  - Have you ever shared your winnings?  Happened to me the other day- you will like this story, carhauler - it was a $10 ticket he was scratching when I walked in - he said he WON !  And he did- it was a $250 winner !  The clerk told him to buy the last ticket - #49 ... He wasn't going to buy it- the clerk said go ahead buy the last one- he was  buying the next to the last one- it won $15.

I looked at him and said 'I am so very happy for you- how cool is that - Merry Christmas - wow thats neat..' The clerk tossed out the next book of them tickets and said you want another one?  I said 'buy two - one for me one for you' ! And he did- let me pick which one I wanted- I said we split it 50/50 and he said yup! We both won $10 so we were even- we each got another kind of ticket- no winner- he got a few more and  I left - told him how happy I was for him and he said he was glad he made me smile =)..

Merry Christmas !

I have a friend who works @ a lottery out let . In Maryland we have keno & horse races which run every 3 -5 mins. She always expect tips on theses games as well as starch tickets 3/4 digit hits and mega & etc etc etc.

She has also entered  contest because customer's give her the loser tickets 2 enter . On any given day she can beg or make over 200/500 dollars in tips tax free or she might play behind a customer that has a hot streak no never does she share her winnings with others . The biggest hit was 5 yrs ago she played a random match 5 on Xmas eve 4 50,000 dollars she check the time of day the ticket was sold call everyone that purchase a ticket during that time frame until she found out who the winner was got a tip of $800.00 and said 2 the person is that all ?

With all of that said what would you do about tipping ?

Once u start something it is sometimes very difficult 2 end

Let s just get some winners

Rememberwe r playing 2 win and share with our family & friends we cannot take care of everyone.

Or donate 2 your favorite charity

Merry Xmas and good luck 2 all lottery post players

United States
                Member #97729
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2010, 7:33 am - IP Logged

I guess you guys are right. If a clerk knew where a winning ticket was, they would buy it themselves, kind of like these folks are doing in this video: http://www.lotterypost.com/news/201509 That is a not too shocking revelation, I have suspected that things like this have been going on for a while. It was only after another member pointed out this video that I had the proof that I had been looking for. I agree with Todd that they most likely tell customers that a ticket is not a winner, and cash the tickets themself, or have a family member do it. It also might have a lot to do with ticket counting. As I have said many times before, if I were a clerk and I saw someone spend $100 on consecutive tickets from the same roll, and throw all of them away, I would definitely buy the next ticket, 100% of the time. I may not win all of the time this way, but I would do better than most of my customers, and I think there are far too many retailers that feel the same way I do, except they work behind the counter, on the other side.

United States
                  Member #97729
                  September 22, 2010
                  321 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2011, 2:02 am - IP Logged

I came across this in my favorites of all things, but I don't remember reading it, but I was very new then and probably didn't think a whole lot of it at the time. The favorite was added Monday, September 27, 2010, 23:34:00. I guess I found it and forgot it. It seems like I am not the first person to come up with this idea. Read More: http://www.lotterypost.com/topic/145194