Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Next Financial Crisis

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 6 years ago by kapla.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: December 20, 2010, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

There was a story on 60 Minutes last night about another big financial meltdown less than 12 months away that will be worse than the one we're getting out of. Apparently most states and municipalities are broke and will be defaulting on loans, and won't be able to pay their employees. The cause is decades of irresponsible spending and inflated pension benefits. Illinois' case is especially troubling. In Illinois, gas stations refuse to accept state credit cards from troopers filling up their service vehicles. CA spends twice as much as it takes in, and the list goes on and on. The fear is that another bailout will be required, which of course the govt. doesn't want and can't afford.

My question is this: If a state reaches that breaking point where it has to shut down, is there some fine print somewhere that says it can seize lottery funds and prizes?

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: December 20, 2010, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Eek <insert theme from the twilight zone> Eek

Miami
      United States
      Member #62793
      July 9, 2008
      673 Posts
      Posted: December 20, 2010, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Okay then.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3301 Posts
        Posted: December 20, 2010, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

i think annuities are invested in state muni bonds

:o

i mean

Eek

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Miami
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          673 Posts
          Posted: December 20, 2010, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

i think annuities are invested in state muni bonds

:o

i mean

Eek

Which is what they're gonna default on.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10355 Posts
            Posted: December 20, 2010, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Yet another reason to go for the cash option!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Miami
              United States
              Member #62793
              July 9, 2008
              673 Posts
              Posted: December 21, 2010, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Yet another reason to go for the cash option!

And putting some of it in a bank overseas!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40611 Posts
                Posted: December 21, 2010, 7:42 am - IP Logged

There was a story on 60 Minutes last night about another big financial meltdown less than 12 months away that will be worse than the one we're getting out of. Apparently most states and municipalities are broke and will be defaulting on loans, and won't be able to pay their employees. The cause is decades of irresponsible spending and inflated pension benefits. Illinois' case is especially troubling. In Illinois, gas stations refuse to accept state credit cards from troopers filling up their service vehicles. CA spends twice as much as it takes in, and the list goes on and on. The fear is that another bailout will be required, which of course the govt. doesn't want and can't afford.

My question is this: If a state reaches that breaking point where it has to shut down, is there some fine print somewhere that says it can seize lottery funds and prizes?

The last thing I would be worried about is the lottery prize payout. you might want to learn how to hunt and fish, how to grow and can your own food , how to clean drinking water. What kind of things can you stock up on to barter with?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: December 21, 2010, 10:05 am - IP Logged

The last thing I would be worried about is the lottery prize payout. you might want to learn how to hunt and fish, how to grow and can your own food , how to clean drinking water. What kind of things can you stock up on to barter with?

You sound a lot like Raven. I wasn't really looking for survival advice.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49835 Posts
                    Posted: December 21, 2010, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Fall Victim to The "New Depression", or Survive And Thrive? (Winning a Jackpot will be the least of your worries!)

It is at critical times like this, when history is in the throes of "rewriting" the established order of things, that you need to keep your head and think seriously about how you intend to survive. Not everyone is so concerned though. The majority of folks will sit in front of their TVs, read their newspapers, go to work, and carry on living as if nothing is happening,  totally oblivious to the financial "hurricane" bearing down on them. I'm sure that does not include you.

The mass media, political leaders and various opinion makers will continue to utter smooth words of assurance, not wanting to cause panic or frighten the horses. And they will do so right up until the financial storm hits, when they will express surprise that such a thing could happen. But you cannot afford to wait, unconcerned, then wake up one morning to hear about such an event after it has already hit. No, the only sane course of action is to become informed as to exactly what is happening, and to how best prepare yourself for it.

http://www.uncommonwisdomdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/UWD0009-Financial-Crisis-Survival-Kit.pdf

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: December 21, 2010, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

I like your thinking. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: December 21, 2010, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

If a meltdown happened, the first thing I would wonder is what Britney Spears is up to....

Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40611 Posts
                          Posted: December 21, 2010, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

You sound a lot like Raven. I wasn't really looking for survival advice.

my bad..

Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40611 Posts
                            Posted: December 21, 2010, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Fall Victim to The "New Depression", or Survive And Thrive? (Winning a Jackpot will be the least of your worries!)

It is at critical times like this, when history is in the throes of "rewriting" the established order of things, that you need to keep your head and think seriously about how you intend to survive. Not everyone is so concerned though. The majority of folks will sit in front of their TVs, read their newspapers, go to work, and carry on living as if nothing is happening,  totally oblivious to the financial "hurricane" bearing down on them. I'm sure that does not include you.

The mass media, political leaders and various opinion makers will continue to utter smooth words of assurance, not wanting to cause panic or frighten the horses. And they will do so right up until the financial storm hits, when they will express surprise that such a thing could happen. But you cannot afford to wait, unconcerned, then wake up one morning to hear about such an event after it has already hit. No, the only sane course of action is to become informed as to exactly what is happening, and to how best prepare yourself for it.

http://www.uncommonwisdomdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/UWD0009-Financial-Crisis-Survival-Kit.pdf

Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40611 Posts
                              Posted: December 21, 2010, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

If a meltdown happened, the first thing I would wonder is what Britney Spears is up to....

She'll probably shave her head again and attack someone with an umbrella.