Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Texas Lottery Changes

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DFW, Texas
United States
Member #78628
August 18, 2009
134 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2011, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

There are two interesting changes that I haven't seen publicized.  I found them here: http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Documents/retailers/FAQTP44QuickRef20101209.pdf

The first one that catches my interest is that second-prize ($250,000) Mega Millions winners will automatically win $1,000,000 when the ticket is purchased with the Megaplier option, regardless of the Megaplier number drawn.  I don't know if this applies to all states.  I would think this would be publicized, but I haven't seen anything about it except in that obscure document that's intended to keep retailers informed of upcoming changes.

The other change is that terminals will print as many as 10 lines per ticket (the current limit is 5).  It says nothing about changing playslips, but quick picks will be printed with as many as 10 on one ticket.  This applies to all jackpot games and Cash Five, but does not include Pick 3 and Daily 4.

These changes take effect Monday, January 3.  Does anyone know if the million-dollar Megaplier change is systemwide?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2011, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes, pretty much every lottery offering Megaplier is going with that option.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

DFW, Texas
      United States
      Member #78628
      August 18, 2009
      134 Posts
      Posted: January 1, 2011, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

That's interesting.  This seems like big news to me, something that should be marketed and publicized.  Is every state keeping it (nearly) secret?

As I read it, it looks like this may apply to Tuesday's drawing, and to the tickets being sold now.  If this is the case, especially with the enormous jackpot, I'd be marketing it everywhere.  I've seen nothing on the web site (other than that document) or in stores.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
        Dallas, Texas
        United States
        Member #4549
        May 2, 2004
        1655 Posts
        Posted: January 1, 2011, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

It says on page 2 under the heading '10 Boards Per Ticket' this is "....for all transactions (manual entry and Quick Pick)."

Further down in bold black it says:

** Playslips will not be modified.

Doubt you are going to find any retailer in the D/FW area who will sit around manually entering 10 sets of numbers unless they put a wheeling option on the machine.

Wink

DFW, Texas
          United States
          Member #78628
          August 18, 2009
          134 Posts
          Posted: January 1, 2011, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

It says on page 2 under the heading '10 Boards Per Ticket' this is "....for all transactions (manual entry and Quick Pick)."

Further down in bold black it says:

** Playslips will not be modified.

Doubt you are going to find any retailer in the D/FW area who will sit around manually entering 10 sets of numbers unless they put a wheeling option on the machine.

Wink

I suspect that's true.  I wouldn't trust a clerk to enter numbers correctly, especially for a jackpot game.  I was reluctant the one time I did it (for Pick 3) because they had no playslips.  I even use a playslip to get a quick pick because I often choose the annual payments option, and the clerks sometimes ignore that and select cash value when I ask by voice.

Checking around, other MM lotteries have changed their sites to reflect the Megaplier million-dollar change.  Some of them changed the odds/payout charts.  Texas has not.  I'm surprised they'd quietly change a back page on their sites instead of putting it on the home page and in the stores as a tool to help drive sales.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4849 Posts
            Posted: January 1, 2011, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Maryland switched over to the multiplier earlier this year, I believe it was in June. They have had tv. commercials describing the change. If you win the $250,000 second prize and have the multiplier, you automatically win $1,000,000. I don't know if this is true for all states, seeing as how Maryland just started in June and Texas is just starting now. One thing Maryland definitely did not publicize, is when they increased the state's cut of the taxes on winnings from 7.5% up to 9.25% for residents, although non-residents still only pay 7.5

Another thing people may not be aware of is, at least in Maryland, you have 182 days to claim the prize and you WILL get the annuity, unless you select the cash payment within 60 days of the ticket validation date. Whether there are different time limits for claiming the cash or annuity options in other states is something to be looked into. But first things first, you have to win the jackpot.

Good Luck to everyone on Tuesday, and the rest of the year.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: January 1, 2011, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

That's interesting.  This seems like big news to me, something that should be marketed and publicized.  Is every state keeping it (nearly) secret?

As I read it, it looks like this may apply to Tuesday's drawing, and to the tickets being sold now.  If this is the case, especially with the enormous jackpot, I'd be marketing it everywhere.  I've seen nothing on the web site (other than that document) or in stores.

I know, and I agree with you.  It's a big mystery to me.

I actually asked several representatives of different state lotteries about their utter lack of ANY communication or marketing regarding the Megaplier, as well as the changes that have been happening to the Megaplier, and I have gotten absolutely no response at all.

In fact, these people have made great efforts to avoid at all costs speaking about it, as if they are bound by some super-secret code of honor not to speak about the Megaplier.

I am simply mystified over the whole thing.  If I had more time to spare I would have been even more of a pest until I got some kind of answer, by it became a ridiculous waste of time after a while.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5586 Posts
                Posted: January 1, 2011, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

There are two interesting changes that I haven't seen publicized.  I found them here: http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Documents/retailers/FAQTP44QuickRef20101209.pdf

The first one that catches my interest is that second-prize ($250,000) Mega Millions winners will automatically win $1,000,000 when the ticket is purchased with the Megaplier option, regardless of the Megaplier number drawn.  I don't know if this applies to all states.  I would think this would be publicized, but I haven't seen anything about it except in that obscure document that's intended to keep retailers informed of upcoming changes.

The other change is that terminals will print as many as 10 lines per ticket (the current limit is 5).  It says nothing about changing playslips, but quick picks will be printed with as many as 10 on one ticket.  This applies to all jackpot games and Cash Five, but does not include Pick 3 and Daily 4.

These changes take effect Monday, January 3.  Does anyone know if the million-dollar Megaplier change is systemwide?

I read about this change in the Lottery Commission meeting transcripts about a month ago. I was wondering when they would start publicizing it. There was nothing in the minutes that I saw where they planned on keeping it secret. Generally when the Texas Lottery is going to make any changes, they always have a public comment period, then after that will vote on the proposed rule change.

Very odd that there is no public announcement.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

DFW, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #78628
                  August 18, 2009
                  134 Posts
                  Posted: January 1, 2011, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Maryland switched over to the multiplier earlier this year, I believe it was in June. They have had tv. commercials describing the change. If you win the $250,000 second prize and have the multiplier, you automatically win $1,000,000. I don't know if this is true for all states, seeing as how Maryland just started in June and Texas is just starting now. One thing Maryland definitely did not publicize, is when they increased the state's cut of the taxes on winnings from 7.5% up to 9.25% for residents, although non-residents still only pay 7.5

Another thing people may not be aware of is, at least in Maryland, you have 182 days to claim the prize and you WILL get the annuity, unless you select the cash payment within 60 days of the ticket validation date. Whether there are different time limits for claiming the cash or annuity options in other states is something to be looked into. But first things first, you have to win the jackpot.

Good Luck to everyone on Tuesday, and the rest of the year.

That's lovely how lottery winners have a tax penalty for living in Maryland.  It makes me wonder about buying tickets in other states, particularly Pennsylvania and Delaware, which have no such taxes (and aren't far away), and moving to that state before claiming a large prize.  I don't know if that would work, but it's something I'd look into if I lived in such a state.

Each state has rules about payment options.  In Texas, the payment option must be selected when the ticket is purchased (if no option is selected, the annual payments option is selected by default).  As I understand, that is an uncommon rule.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                    Winning makes me smile.
                    bel air maryland
                    United States
                    Member #90251
                    April 24, 2010
                    4849 Posts
                    Posted: January 1, 2011, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

You wouldn't have to move to another state, just drive over the border to buy the tickets. You collect the money from, and pay the taxes to the state where the ticket was purchased, not where you live. Of course if you play the pick 3 or pick 4, it's better to play in a state with a set prize rather than a paramutuel payout because you'll get more $$$

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: January 1, 2011, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I know states that didn't use the Megaplier already would have to switch over this year, but didn't know about making it an automatic $1,000,000 if you put in the extra $1. It seemed like most times I checked it was always a x4 multiplier anyways. Something interesting of note is that on the Mega Millions Wikipedia site it lists, under the Megaplier section: "Megaplier wagers made for drawings after September 12, 2010 that win second prize are automatically elevated to 4x, winning $1 million." Not sure if this is just a typical Wikipedia mistake or if this has been around and we've not noticed.

And glad to hear about the 10 lines per ticket, it would get annoying when I'd get $6-$7 and have to have an additional slip for only 1-2 extra numbers. Some cashiers will put it as 2 sets of 3 numbers but usually I'd have to specify I wanted it that way.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23259 Posts
                        Posted: January 2, 2011, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I know states that didn't use the Megaplier already would have to switch over this year, but didn't know about making it an automatic $1,000,000 if you put in the extra $1. It seemed like most times I checked it was always a x4 multiplier anyways. Something interesting of note is that on the Mega Millions Wikipedia site it lists, under the Megaplier section: "Megaplier wagers made for drawings after September 12, 2010 that win second prize are automatically elevated to 4x, winning $1 million." Not sure if this is just a typical Wikipedia mistake or if this has been around and we've not noticed.

And glad to hear about the 10 lines per ticket, it would get annoying when I'd get $6-$7 and have to have an additional slip for only 1-2 extra numbers. Some cashiers will put it as 2 sets of 3 numbers but usually I'd have to specify I wanted it that way.

Yes, it's typical Wikipedia nonsense.  Another piece of nonsense is that there is some "requirement" for the Megaplier.  They may all end up doing it, but not because of some phantom "requirement".

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: January 2, 2011, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I had found a page on Lottery Universe that said they found information on the New Hampshire Lottery website that places that didn't already offer the Megaplier would have to by January 2011. There were also some other places stating that it's been an automatic $1,000,000 since September though none of them cited a certain source, so I guess we won't know for sure since it seems Mega Millions doesn't release too much information about the rules (at least that I could find).

DFW, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #78628
                            August 18, 2009
                            134 Posts
                            Posted: January 2, 2011, 1:15 am - IP Logged

I had found a page on Lottery Universe that said they found information on the New Hampshire Lottery website that places that didn't already offer the Megaplier would have to by January 2011. There were also some other places stating that it's been an automatic $1,000,000 since September though none of them cited a certain source, so I guess we won't know for sure since it seems Mega Millions doesn't release too much information about the rules (at least that I could find).

Since Megaplier is not a core part of the game, as Powerplay is a core part of its game, there may be different ways it's been used; there are differences in whether it was used at all.  We know that the automatic 1 million has not been used in Texas, as the payout records show.  It may be that some state does have the automatic million, and someone saw that and assumed it was system-wide, and then put it on Wikipedia.

When the games expanded last year, the Wisconsin lottery web site said: "If you match all numbers except the Mega Ball, you win $250,000. If you added Megaplier and your prize is $250,000, you would win $1,000,000 - just by adding Megaplier!"  I wrote an e-mail and they replied saying that this was not correct, and corrected the web site.  Even the lotteries themselves have made that mistake.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: January 2, 2011, 1:33 am - IP Logged

what i find most strange is that the megaplier is a side bet, ran soley by the state.  the dollar is theirs, and the costs of paying winners is theirs.

you would think that as its extra money jusdt for the states they would drop all advertising of  the main game and try and get every punter playing the megaplier.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297