Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money, Money, Money and no Honey

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 6 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2011, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buy $10 cards? It's $500,000 if you win it right. Is buying $100 worth of cards too much at one time. You increase your changes of winning by 10.

Lets do it!

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2011, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

cupcake, what are $10 cards? If you start a thread about some random topic please explain so other members know what you are referring to.

United States
      Member #91718
      May 23, 2010
      690 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2011, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Money, Money, Money $10 scratch off card.  I guess I thought people would know exactly what I was talking about after all this is the Lottery Post.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2011, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Money, Money, Money $10 scratch off card.  I guess I thought people would know exactly what I was talking about after all this is the Lottery Post.

Not every state has the same scratchoffs as every other state.

United States
          Member #91718
          May 23, 2010
          690 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2011, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Oopsie doosie, I thought everyone knew. I will try to do better next time.

The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2011, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Not every state has the same scratchoffs as every other state.

Truth

The Ville, FL
              United States
              Member #95879
              August 19, 2010
              1708 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2011, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Oopsie doosie, I thought everyone knew. I will try to do better next time.

Just an FYI, not every member keeps up with scratch-offs from the other side of the country. Thumbs Up

Little more info would get a better response. Not trying to be an azz, I just didnt know what you were talking about. We dont have a scratch off called "money, money, money" here in FL

United States
                Member #91718
                May 23, 2010
                690 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2011, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Well it's okay regardless of the name. Do you spend $10 on a single scratch off card or is this ridiculous. Not to mention, try10x for a total of $100 for a chance to win $500,000.  How much would you spend for a change of $500,000.Guitar

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2011, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buy $10 cards? It's $500,000 if you win it right. Is buying $100 worth of cards too much at one time. You increase your changes of winning by 10.

Lets do it!

I don't even like to spend $5 on a scratcher. $100 only buys you 10 cards and if they're all losers ouch!

Just get me thru this so called life......

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    22872 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2011, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

It's not ridiculous to spend $10 on a scratch off. Chances are you'll do much better than the $1 or $2 tickets...but not much better. Usually, you'll

win your money back and that's that....they can't even pay you for your time. (you get your money back - whoopie!)

10 tickets may seem like a lot of chances to you to win $500,000 but have you checked out the odds on these tickets. Do you know that with

these games the number of top prizes are usually in the single digits? What's the number of top prizes for your ticket? 3? 5? 10?

Think of this....we have a $10 Money, Money, Money ticket in PA broadcasting 10 top prizes of $250,000 - 10 prizes seem like a lot, huh?

Well, not when you consider the odds involved.....1 in 1,200,000 - that means that one in ONE MILLION, TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND will win

$250,000....pretty pathetic if you ask me. BUT, it can happen to anyone and I'm a believer in right place, right time....all you have to do is be there.

BUT another thing I believe is if it doesn't happen with 1 or 2 tickets at a time, you better move on and pick another store or another day to try for

it.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
                      Denver, Co
                      United States
                      Member #103046
                      December 29, 2010
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: January 7, 2011, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Well it's okay regardless of the name. Do you spend $10 on a single scratch off card or is this ridiculous. Not to mention, try10x for a total of $100 for a chance to win $500,000.  How much would you spend for a change of $500,000.Guitar

Before I buy any scratch cards, I check with the state lottery site to see how many of the top prizes are left for that particular game. If one or all the jackpot prizes have been won, then your chances of winning are zero and I won't even buy the card. I'll only play a scratch card if 50% or more of the top prizes remain in a drawing.

Colorado also has a 'second chance' drawing which is usually equal to the top prize in the scratch cards. You can enter your losing cards in to a drawing set by the state. I only buy the cards that are eligible for the second chance drawings, that way I have an equal chance of winning that particular jackpot.

If there is no second chance drawing for the game, I won't buy the scratch card, regardless of the prize. Check to see if your state has second chance drawings as well. 

If I do buy scratch, it is normally not more than two or three at a time for a game. If I do spend $100 on scratch, it is usually 2 or 3 cards from 4 or 5 different games that have jackpots remaining and are eligible for second chance drawings.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: January 7, 2011, 7:51 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

The Ville, FL
                          United States
                          Member #95879
                          August 19, 2010
                          1708 Posts
                          Posted: January 7, 2011, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Typically I buy the $10 and $20 scratchers because the top prizes are alot bigger. Here in FL it used to be the norm to have $250K prizes on the $10 scratchers but FL has changed their price structures. I have noticed lately that the $10 usually will have a $1Mill + top prizes. I also noticed their lower priced tickets like the $5.00, now have top prozes of $200K which used to be $250K for a $5 scratch off.

We dont offer any scratchers here in FL that have a chance at $500,000 for $10...There are still a few scratchers here in FL that offer $1Mill + on $10 ones so I usually play those.

Im not against the lower priced tickets, it just seems that whenever I play the smaller ones I always lose. So in the end I end up spending the same anyways. The chances are still astronomical on any scratch-off for a top prize, so buying 10 of the $10 cards wouldnt seem to increase your chances all that much. Although, you would have a better chance at making some of the money back

United States
                            Member #97729
                            September 22, 2010
                            321 Posts
                            Posted: January 8, 2011, 5:00 am - IP Logged

One thing that was not mentioned is that besides the better prizes, you get better odds. Usually the overall odds improve with more expensive games. Not always with every game, but in general. I won most of my $100 winners on $10 and $20 tickets. Keep in mind that in Georgia, I did win $100 on a $1 ticket, but that was odds of 1 in 4,800. Not likely to happen again. For roughly the same odds, you could win up to $1,600 on a $10 ticket. 10X the money, but 16X the payout, or 60% more for every dollar spent.

Compare that with a $20 game. I have won $100 on it multiple times, and the odds are 1 in 32. That is 150 times better odds than the $1 ticket, and it would cost you 7.5X less to do it, assuming an exact science, which it is not. With $10 and $20 tickets, I usually win about a third of the time. I very rarely win on $1, $2 or $3 tickets. They are closer to 1 in 5 or worse. I do OK on $5 tickets. My biggest win was $150 on a $5 ticket, but I bought well in excess of a hundred tickets of that particular game.

I have found that overall, I have been happiest with the results from more expensive games. I often win either a free ticket or $3 on the $2 games, or $2 on a $1 ticket. You have to ask yourself if you really want to spend $10 to make $3. It pays to know every game well. Do your research.

As other posters have suggested, it is best to play games that have at least 50% of their top prizes left. I also favor newer games over older ones. I am a firm believer that they release far more sizable winners in the beginning of a game. That encourages folks to keep on playing, because they remember their past successes on that game, or heard about it from others. They will accept the smaller prizes in hopes of finding that big winner again.