Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How does scratch off lottery work?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3707 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2011, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Nice find of info out on the web.  I didnt read all of the document either, but it appeared to me that it was describing a patent for using a barcoding system to control inventory of lottery tickets that have been disbursed to retailers. 

I'm thinking I might use the "Ask The New York Lottery" feature on NY's website and e-mail them a question. I suppose I could ask them if they know the retailers location of all top prize winners for all scratch off's prior to the tickets being being sold.  I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase the question.

"Is the lottery aware of the location of retailers that have in their inventory of tickets for sale a top prize winning scratch-off ticket prior to the ticket being sold?"   Sound good to you?  I have to believe they've been asked that question in the past. 

As an aside, quite a while ago, I read in a local newspaper that an area convenience store had been burglarized and scratch-off tickets were stolen. The police recovered many of them on the side of a lightly traveled country road. I cant recall if the article said they had been scratched or not.  But if they had been scratched, it would seem to me that it would be easy enough to identify the theives when they presented any winning tickets for payment.  It could be the theives realized they could be easily caught, and that's why they dumped the tickets on the roadside.

I received an answer ot my question of The NY State Lottery asking them if they knew the location of retailers possessing top tier prizes prior to the ticket being sold. Below is their response:

We do not know the location of our jackpot winning tickets until someone comes
forward to claim their ticket.

The distribution of books of instant tickets to New York Lottery retailers
statewide is a totally random process, and winning tickets are also randomly
distributed within the individual books.  In an effort to maximize winability
for our instant customers, there are a certain number of low tier prizes
guaranteed to be in each book of instant tickets.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY
    United States
    Member #103217
    December 31, 2010
    96 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2011, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I read that post, and there's no doubt about it, players in NY can not get a very clear picture of what the situation is with regard to the number of unclaimed top prizes for scratch off's.  The New York Lottery destroys opened books of scratch-off's returned to them by retailers that have gone out of business.  Not good because a top prize ticket could be destroyed. (I do think the odds on that happening are relatively small, but it's certainly possible that it could happen.) 

I've wondered if all of the top prize winning tickets are disbursed when a game first comes on the market.  I dont know if this is the case or not, but tickets could be in the process of being printed and obviously have not been distributed to retailers.

Many scratch-off players like to jump on a new game when tickets first go on sale because they believe that's the time when all of the top prizes are still available. But if there are tickets that have not yet been printed, it's possible that there may not even be one top tier prize in circulation. 

If what I speculated upon above is true, then I think NY would be reluctant to reveal that information, should they be asked are all tickets printed and distributed prior to tickets going on sale. 

Does anyone know if all scratch-off's are printed and distributed prior to going on sale?

Don't you think this whole scratch off lottery is farce with so many flaws. couldn't they make it so it is little more kosher? whether all tickets are printed and distributed question can be asked to lottery.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
      NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3707 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2011, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Don't you think this whole scratch off lottery is farce with so many flaws. couldn't they make it so it is little more kosher? whether all tickets are printed and distributed question can be asked to lottery.

Prior to joining LP, I realized that I could be playing a scratch-off game with no top prize available. Therefore I decided not to play them very much.  I still play them every once in a while, but I'm careful which ones I buy when I do play.

It was after I joined LP that I learned about open packs of tickets returned to The NY Lottery from retailers going out of business being destroyed.  That made me decide to buy even less often than I was.

It was the atricle about the returned open packs that got me to thinking about whether or not all tickets are printed and distributed prior to going on sale.

Yes, I could ask the NY lottery if all tickets are printed and distributed prior to going on sale, but I'm not going to do it.  I dont think they'd want to reveal that info if it's true, and I'm not going to get into a fight with them about it because I dont play scratch-off's all that much.  Maybe it's not true, and they'd have no problem saying that all tickets are printed and distributed prior to being sold.  But again, because I rarely play scratch-off's, I dont care if it's true or not.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!