Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch off question after a friend won big

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #104189
January 11, 2011
13 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2011, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Awhile back a friend hit big on a scratch off ticket  (on the last day of high school) and there was another store a few miles up the road were someone else won $50,000 on the same game, there was only 1 big prize remaining on the game ($10 scratcher) he told us the only reason he bought a couple was cause he  hadn't seen the game for awhile, after he turned the ticket in the lottery closed that game.  I saw a copy of his ticket and the other ticket up the road and both the pack numbers and ticket # matched, I was just wondering if it could possible that when a game is about to close and the lottery only needs one more big prize winner and say there is also 1 or 2 unclaimed $50,000 tickets out there that they will print a big prize winning ticket and then also print say another $50,000 behind that big winner and send it to another store close by the big winning store???  I also remember not seeing anyother store in the area having that game expect the one my friend won and the other store a few miles up.. Any suggestions?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2011, 2:09 am - IP Logged

Most states list the number of prizes possible and how many remain.

Printing another winning ticket sounds more than a little flaky.

On the Illinois lottery website, under Instant Games there is a link for remaining prizes.

As an example, the $2 Win for Life game has a total of 6 $50,000 a year for life prizes and 2 remain.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #104189
      January 11, 2011
      13 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2011, 2:20 am - IP Logged

Both the tickets hit basically the same week so it was pretty clear they were printed and shipped together and delivered by the same UPS guy...  One store got the last big winner listed on the sheet and the other store a few miles up got the $50,000 then the game was closed because there was no more top prize.  I was just wondering if anyone else is seen this combo before, i know the lotto is got odd ways of doing things for good reason..

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
        The Ville, FL
        United States
        Member #95879
        August 19, 2010
        1708 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2011, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Awhile back a friend hit big on a scratch off ticket  (on the last day of high school) and there was another store a few miles up the road were someone else won $50,000 on the same game, there was only 1 big prize remaining on the game ($10 scratcher) he told us the only reason he bought a couple was cause he  hadn't seen the game for awhile, after he turned the ticket in the lottery closed that game.  I saw a copy of his ticket and the other ticket up the road and both the pack numbers and ticket # matched, I was just wondering if it could possible that when a game is about to close and the lottery only needs one more big prize winner and say there is also 1 or 2 unclaimed $50,000 tickets out there that they will print a big prize winning ticket and then also print say another $50,000 behind that big winner and send it to another store close by the big winning store???  I also remember not seeing anyother store in the area having that game expect the one my friend won and the other store a few miles up.. Any suggestions?

As cointoss stated, that is flaky to the fullest.

If the Lottery commison needed to close a game early then they would have. Doesnt seem likely they would just print the last 2 remaining tickets (with top prizes) so they could close the game. Here in FL there was a $30 scratch-off which still have more than a few Million dollar top prizes left and the game was closed early to make room for the new $20 scratchers.

If they want a game to expire/closeout, they will do just that without making a 1 time special print, shoving an "extra" winner in there to just close it

NY
          United States
          Member #103217
          December 31, 2010
          96 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2011, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know where to lookup the "remaining winnining tickets" in NY as I was not able to find out on their website.

United States
            Member #104189
            January 11, 2011
            13 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2011, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

The big prize winner was $500,000 and the $50,000 was the 2nd prize.

so before my friend hit it the prize sheet looked like this:

1 - $500,000

2- $50,000

They printed $500,000 and a $50,000 at same time and shipped them to two stores close by.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10392 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2011, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know where to lookup the "remaining winnining tickets" in NY as I was not able to find out on their website.

Go to the New York lottery website home page.

"Mouse" over Instant Scratch Off Games at the top of the page.

A drop down menu appears, click on End of Game Schedule.

When that page comes up, there is a green box on the right side of the page that says Top Prizes Report.

When you click on that a .pdf file appears that tells you the game numbr, top prize, number unclaimed, 2nd prize and number unclaimed.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.