Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many tickets do you buy and why?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Jay420.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #104653
January 18, 2011
7 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2011, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Hello,

I have been playing scratch off tickets for a few months.... I started off buying 8 tickets of the same $5.00 game without much success.

I changed up my system and started buying 4 of two seperate games and have been doing quite well. I do this just because the odds are about 1 in 4 that you will have a winner. Not sure if this makes much sense to everyone else, but it seems pretty logical to me.

I'm wondering how much everyone else spends and how many tickets of each game you buy when you go in to buy your scratch off tickets.

Thanks!

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40339 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:33 am - IP Logged

I used to get my dad 5 at a time, now I just get one with leftover change, it's usually a 2 dollar scratcher.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2011, 9:12 am - IP Logged

I rarely buy more than one at a time. Now if I decide to scratch it in the car and its a dud, and I have a gut feeling about another one, then ill return and buy the next.

My theory is, why buy more than one at a time, because if the first one is a winner, you may have just wasted your money on the rest.

Although it is very possible to win back to back, I just never really buy several in a row. What if you buy 8, and the fiorst is a $100 winner? The chances of the remaining 7 being winners is slim.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

We usually buy 1 @ a time & like what B$Rizzle said if I have a gut feeling then I will go back and get the next ticket seeing that we only play when we go to Texas and we only play the BlockBuster or Superset for life which are $20.00 tickets we prefer the 1 at a time method....

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2011, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

1 at a time until that ticket wins.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #93473
            June 30, 2010
            68 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2011, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

one ticket off each row tends to be costly but effective, usually comes out to about 90 bucks at my local place its funny cause ill get my money back on the 20 dollar and 10 dollar ones and get down to the 1 and 2 dollar tickets and pull 100 or 40s and most of the time if i dont finish ahead i make back what i spend which is good i guess

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2011, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I drop a $20 every few days or so and buy a bunch, mostly only buy the $5 games and maybe fill in a $2 or $3 game here and there. The $5 games are the highest we have in CA and they also have the best odds, on paper and in practice it seems.

I never scratch in the store, always take em home, and never go back the same day. Any winners go right back into buying more tickets. I'm playing with the goal of hitting a $1000 or higher or top prize, so I spread around my buying on different days and different stores. I'm going under the assumption that a top prize may never show up at any particular store and $1000 or higher may not likely be on the roll you are playing, so I figure the way I buy 2 or 3 tickets on each $5 roll at a few different stores is kind of like taking the shot gun approach. We'll see if this strategy works or not.

We also have a 2nd chance replay system here in CA so you can enter every losing ticket online for a end of game top prize drawing and also a $1000 drawing every 3 months. So my spending will keep me under $1000 every 3 months.

SE PA
                United States
                Member #93582
                July 3, 2010
                1866 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2011, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I still often buy a couple or a few of different games. I also switch machines unless I'm looking for a certain number range. I usually spend $20-$40 each day, but go higher when the new tickets are out or if I win big.

FL
                  United States
                  Member #104946
                  January 22, 2011
                  105 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2011, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

My goal was to keep it between 100 - 200 dollars.  November and December closer to 200 and then the rest of the year I would like to keep it closer to the 100 but so far in January I have exceeded the limits.  I'm over 400, just went a little crazy and didn't follow my general strategies and also ignored a warning from James1 and he was right on with it.   I guess the lottery got me since there were two 1 mil winners on Millionaire club and I gave it a shot against better judgement.

It seems it is definately better to get one ticket at a time, if a winner hits, move on, take it with you.  Try another ticket or store but don't go for the next ticket.

It makes sense because 100.00 wins are rare, it's not likely that you will hit a 100.00 and play a few more tickets and get another 100.00 in the same day, same store, same game.

United States
                    Member #104653
                    January 18, 2011
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2011, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

wow. lots of different ideas. i personally dont like scratching them at the store but that does sound like a good method. i also wait until i get home.... that way i dont go overboard buying too many tickets.

Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2011, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

I also scratch at home to control costs, but also to spread the buying around to different days to hit different rolls/books or parts of them. If I got winners, I take them back to the store to cash in and buy more tickets the following day. Also, since we have the replay system here in CA, I take them home to enter the losing tickets online for the drawing. Most of them, about 3 in 4, will be losers....that's just the cold hard stats of it. But now since I have all the tickets at home, I'm also logging down the winners along with the losers in a spreadsheet to track where my spending vs winners are occurring, before taking them back to cash in.

Right now I'm going a little over my limit on one particular game that is nearing it's end but still has over 1/3 of the $1,000,000 top prizes and other high value prizes still out there, so dropping about $100 per week on that one.

United States
                        Member #104653
                        January 18, 2011
                        7 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2011, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Millions in Cash? Yeah, I saw that also. That game has been out for a while and I'm not sure how much longer before its over (End of March maybe) but that is a good idea. I hope you do win!

Where at in CA do you live? Santa Clarita for me, so stay away from my scratchers up here!

Anyone else have any other ways they play scratchers?

Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2011, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Yep, that's it: Millions in Cash.

Looks good in theory: game is ending pretty soon and still has 11 of 25 of the $1,000,000 top prizes left, and over 1/3 of other $1,000-$10,000 prizes left. And those numbers have not moved much recently.

Just going by some of the other games, if the entry deadline for the 2nd chance drawing is Apr 19, they may be ending the game in a few weeks? So I'm loading up on this one instead of other games. I still do some new games too, my logic says they must load up big prizes on the front end and back end of the games, or at a minimum must hold some towards the end to keep people buying.

Of course the winning tickets could be sitting in a warehouse somewhere, or spread around to stores in the boonies and not selling. But then why would they be ending it if there were a lot of tickets left?

Oh well, at least I'll be piling up more entries for the end of game 2nd chance drawing.

betop25pcent's avatar - pyramid
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #97804
                            September 24, 2010
                            605 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2011, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I buy my tickets in texas.  If I'm going to the store and know that I'm going to buy a scratch off I go to the texas online site and look to see what is new but I also look to see how the money is divided.  They always have the amount and how many tickets are left along w/ the tiers in the groups.  Tickets have different play outs (naturally) but some tickets have more pay outs on the lower amounts.  I'm not unrealistic the odds that I'm going to win the "big" amount are just too small.  So I buy a ticket to what is most likely going to pay something out.  Its been working out pretty good.  and in the end I still have a chance at winning the "big" pay out. I also check to see how many winning tickets have been sold.

I'm ready for pick 3  : )

New York
                              United States
                              Member #105282
                              January 28, 2011
                              66 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2011, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I've been guilty of buying way too many tickets quite often...

I'm talking $300-$400 of tickets from different locations and usually bring them home to scratch. It'll usually take me an hour by the time I'm done.

And occassionally, if I like the retailer, i'll buy one at a time until I get a prize. Oddly enough my biggest win was from doing so when I bought one #47 Win for Life Spectacular ($20), lost, bought the next one #46 and won $250. From now on I wont spend more than $30-$40 a week as I'm at least $6,000 down from losses Sad Cheers

I've come to realize when its meant to happen it will, although a little persistence can't hurt.Wink