Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lets say you on purpose, publicly claimed a major jackpot win, what could be the benefits for you

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
Member #32537
February 12, 2006
698 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2011, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

question for you all

lets just say, you wanted The attention, be it  ether negative or positive, does not matter.

What would you gain out of it?

where some of my ideas: 

If i was starting my own charity atfer the win , i would

go on all the talk shows , any media show that wants me, i become a attention whore for my Charity

they could ask me all the stupid what you going to do questions that follow a major lottery win

, long as i get to talk about my charity and how to donate to it ,    aka a plug as it called,

for negative gain, the only thing i could think of atm

, is if am some twisted evil villain, that Loves the look of of their face's when i ask: are you jealous?

and then their this

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2011, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I watch a vlog on YouTube (video blog, the SHAYTARDS if anyone is wondering) and have kind of been interested in my own one. I don't really have anything interesting to do one about but if I won I could see claiming publicly and then doing a vlog to show everyone the life of a winner (I would never actually do this as it would give too many people info about my personal life, when I'm away from home, etc... but for the thread let's say I would). It would help let people become aware of what life is like for a winner after they've won, such as all the media attention they would receive, how they'd cope with the money, how they'd deal with letters and calls they'd get from random people, etc.

Another reason is people want to say a big FU to people who looked down on them their entire lives and made fun of them for being poor or not as rich as them. Collecting a big prize publicly would be a way to force that person (or those people) to look and hear about you for weeks or months, especially if they lived in the same town.

Personally I don't see any real pro's from collecting publicly unless you want the attention (which the whole vlog thing falls under, as well as the "retaliation" of the second reason). Maybe the fact that you don't have to pay someone to setup a trust for you, but I'm assuming you're collect publicly in a state that allows simple anonymous claiming. If anyone has a reason other than 'attention' I'd be interested in hearing because really I don't see another reason you would want to collect publicly, it doesn't help anything.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      42157 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2011, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I see no benefits.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
        Member #104970
        January 23, 2011
        24 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2011, 2:30 am - IP Logged

If you want to give to some worthy charities, they can be found easily with a quick google search. A benefit of going public and being on talk shows is getting a pat on the back by people who didn't give a rats ass about you before you had the cash. You can also see desperate people grovel at your feet and gold digging harlets trying to get you to marry them. Not my thing but someone out there might be into that.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2011, 2:38 am - IP Logged

I see no benefits.

I agree with sully.

Not only that, but winning a jackpot, starting a new charity and going on talk shows to promote it would get reactions of "Sure, this guy won millions and now he wants us to send him money. Yeah, right."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Delaware
            United States
            Member #93503
            July 1, 2010
            453 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2011, 3:18 am - IP Logged

Well, if you like how the Celebrity's are hounded then be my guest as far as the only benefit, otherwise I see none.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
              Whiskey Island
              United States
              Member #90216
              April 24, 2010
              12808 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2011, 4:34 am - IP Logged

What purpose is their to expose you're self ? None ,You would not gain anything from the exposer . Except , People who will try to use you ONE way or another. Not just women , men too. Women will try to trap you on way or another. You're long lost cousin's will come out the wood work . Friends that cut ties with you . Family will use you too. MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL !!!!!

rukiafae's avatar - box
                NC
                United States
                Member #100192
                November 7, 2010
                125 Posts
                Posted: January 29, 2011, 9:03 am - IP Logged

i see no benefits at all, but here in NC, you cant be anonomyous.

so when we win, we will do what is required of us, and then move...FAST

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8395 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:24 am - IP Logged
                  The last thing a person should is start their own charity unless you are a multi billionaire. A 20 million dollar jackpot after the taxes would be eaten up before the year was out. Aside from that you'd have to hire a team of employees to filter out all the scammers.

There are thousand of already established charity's donate some of your winnings to one or more of the many charity's you like.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42157 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:38 am - IP Logged
                    The last thing a person should is start their own charity unless you are a multi billionaire. A 20 million dollar jackpot after the taxes would be eaten up before the year was out. Aside from that you'd have to hire a team of employees to filter out all the scammers.

There are thousand of already established charity's donate some of your winnings to one or more of the many charity's you like.

I agree and alot of charitable donations are tax deductable, everyone can win.

HyperBe Happy.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                      The Ville, FL
                      United States
                      Member #95879
                      August 19, 2010
                      1708 Posts
                      Posted: January 29, 2011, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I think its safe to say there would be absolutely NO positive benefits of going public and going out of the way to let people know you are a big winner...

There are soo many downsides of people knowing about a huge winfall. If I won a Mill+ I wouldnt want anyone to know. Of course here in FL they post the big winners (normally $1 Mill+ on the website) which many people look at, but I would steer clear from any and all types of media.

There will be all types of vultures coming out of the woodwork that you wouldnt believe. Putting in extra effort to announce a win would be dumb in my book.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2011, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Well if I went public along with all the vultures hopefully a long lost friend I would love to see again  would see me and then know where to look for me.

Just get me thru this so called life......

United States
                          Member #104970
                          January 23, 2011
                          24 Posts
                          Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Well if I went public along with all the vultures hopefully a long lost friend I would love to see again  would see me and then know where to look for me.

you can remain annon and just hire an army of private investigators to look for your long lost friend.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Sully no benefit....... Also why would you want to subject yourself & your family to scams & danger..... It's not worth it...

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                              Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

you can remain annon and just hire an army of private investigators to look for your long lost friend.

An army alright. Not sure if he's in the US or Honduras.

Just get me thru this so called life......