Welcome Guest
You last visited April 30, 2017, 12:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you design a game so more people win?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 6 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #103217
December 31, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2011, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

What I mean by more people win is in a game like NY lotto or mega millions or power ball games where jackpot reaches anywhere from 14-15 millions to 60-70 million which is not very uncommon, sometimes it even reaches over 200 million but those are rare occurances.

How would you designa a game where each person wins 2-3 million dollars. for e.g let's say if the jackpot is at 20 million then there will be approximately 20/3 = 7 or 20/2=10 people who will win the 2-3 millions.

If you reduce the number of balls say from 6 to 5 then there can be lot more winners. Just would like to know if there is a way to design a lottery game where more people would win instead of one person winning ungodly amount of money.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2011, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

can't be done , the must simple thing your asking for is already here

its called, raffle games

everyone gets a ticket and their a lot more top winners

the real issue is this, You Cant have the sells of powerball and mega millions giving a small army of winners WITHOUT the Large  singe jackpot ,

this is reality, We Are Greedy, We See Big Numbers, We Buy More

People don't spend money on lottery games if they SEE LOW NUMBERS

powerball has already  tryed to pass the winnings when they set a record  annuity jackpot, did you know that, its the same idiotic logic of share the wealth in  LOTTERY game of all things

if it sets a new record , it only 25m max more annuity per draw goes to jackpot,  the rest goes to the pack 5 winners , when the jackpot ever won, all that 2nd place money gets boosted by the jackpot sells, AND ITS THE DUMBEST IDEA EVER

if it ever ROLLED at a record amount, they JUST lost sells, cease that annuity that could be 400+ to 500+ is sure stuck at growing 25m per draw,

plus its a annutiy cap, do you know the cash records for pb and mm, will i do, here they are

$240,000,000 cash, Jan. 4, 2011 , aka the monster vs pb, with its stupid ass capped jackpot has only reached, $177.2m CASH  , see what a share the winnings does, it caps the SELLS AND THE AMOUNTS,

want a group of like 16 people win and spit that 240m cash jackpot, easy, Form a group with other people, and buy your tickets, then you can all share in the winnings,

To then, me and everyone else who perfers to play by our selfs, perfers taking the 240m cahs jackpots, to our selfs, tyvm

a raffle game is your hope, the fact is, the lottery makes anywhere in 40 to 50% goes to their bottom line, retailers 5%, and about 45% goes to a prize poll, or only 45 cents out of ever buck goes to prizes you and i ever get,    You Can't Have millions of small large winners, the sells are not their to support, it, and the fact you  named mega millions and powerball games, of 15 to 60-70 is a sick joke

they must make money for their states funding bottom lines, They must offer single jackpots, as they are what Makes the must Sells if they do them right

REPEAT the SELLS depend on A Very Large Prize being offered,  mega millions and a to a lesser degree powerball, Have the biggest Sells,

if anything, they made powerball and mega millions have a muti pay option for a buck more, the player wants a bigger reward, for everthing but the jackpot, they can have it ALREADY

, turning 2nd place prizes into a auto 1 million buck prize, thats the best you get, as  we had 67 2nd place price winners on mm 4th ,   my point, you want more 2nd class winners, get a bigger Jackpot,     to then, stay to your raffle games and b e happy,

even thro i think i made my point  how the sells are not their to support it, if  i had the power of god over all the state lottery's this is how it could be Done

Like powerball and mega millions has 40+ states all going to jackpot prize, do a muti state rafle game

say ever state lotto that sells both pb and mm, now offers,

the biggest raffle game EVER,  the sells period would need to be 1 year, or whenever they fixed amount of tickets sells out, then hold a draw and give away your 3 millonp top rpize, to like 20 winners liek you suggest, but again, the number of SELLS needed, or raffle tickets sold, now tos be huge to support that, the only way, is hance, a lnog selling time, and a muti state epic level sell

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
      Member #32537
      February 12, 2006
      698 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2011, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

o and i forget to put something in their, my 20 min edit time limit up,

people are motivated by wealth, more reward you offer them, the better new wealth you create

in usa, just like how the top 1% own over 30% of all wealth,  the top 10% as a whole owns over 50% OF ALL the wealth,
      Dems and share the wealth people live in a fake reality of stupid, they Want everyone  to be rich and have "fairness"

they are in in turth preventing new Wealth,  if everyone was the same, or  if you tax the rich and give to the poor, the more you do it, the less motivated people  are

the best way to create new wealth is to let that 1% go to 90% of the wealth,  your eyes went up yes?

the more motivated people are the more they Create

you know the best parents in the world, are the ones motivated to have kids, and give them best of life,

the best kinds of people, are motivated  they Create things, they put effort into things, the sec the money not their, the goal in essense, they must Lazy , unhelpful to boot  human beings in the world

my point is,  if you really Want large amounts of jackpots winners, the best bet is to a, play mega millions and play with a group, so you can share your wealth then

just like the best way for a nation to Create wealth is to have 0% tax's and stay out of the way of the Motivated people, 

Never, Ever reward lazy people, the sec we reward people for not being Motivated, you have just Beeped everyone out wealth created in the first place

or someone who wants everyone to be the same, more winners in life etc

my point, let a few people vs majority of losers keep on,   people are not Motivated by a low jackpot win , and more winners, aka fariness idea, their motivated by that insane Large amount, so for the good of all future lottery winners,  for god sakes, keep that share the wealth idea, Far the hell away

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        20022 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2011, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Games like Pick5 with better odds have winners all the time.  Facts are they are so easy to win that their jackpots hardly ever go over $500K cash.  If that $500K cash was used to buy a 30yrs annuity, it could be advertised as a million dollar jackpot, but most winners would probably prefer cash.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
          Denver, Co
          United States
          Member #103046
          December 29, 2010
          546 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2011, 1:30 am - IP Logged

I think the bottom line is sales: the huge jackpots attract more ticket sales. I think the lottery commissions have it figured out: the chance of winning a $200 million dollar jackpot sells far more tickets than a chance of winning one of 200 $1 million dollar prizes.

Personally I'd like to see a smaller top prize with more and bigger secondary and tertiary prizes, but I doubt we'll ever see that, other than the raffles as already mentioned.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2011, 2:57 am - IP Logged

What I mean by more people win is in a game like NY lotto or mega millions or power ball games where jackpot reaches anywhere from 14-15 millions to 60-70 million which is not very uncommon, sometimes it even reaches over 200 million but those are rare occurances.

How would you designa a game where each person wins 2-3 million dollars. for e.g let's say if the jackpot is at 20 million then there will be approximately 20/3 = 7 or 20/2=10 people who will win the 2-3 millions.

If you reduce the number of balls say from 6 to 5 then there can be lot more winners. Just would like to know if there is a way to design a lottery game where more people would win instead of one person winning ungodly amount of money.

That would never work for the reasons mentioned above, but if you DID want to do that, the easiest way would be to draw more than one set of numbers.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3544 Posts
              Posted: January 30, 2011, 3:43 am - IP Logged

That would never work for the reasons mentioned above, but if you DID want to do that, the easiest way would be to draw more than one set of numbers.

Perhaps a better way to do it would be something like PB's bonus pool. At some point money that would normally go to the jackpot would be put in the 2nd place prize pool instead. It could even be done in such a way that for jackpots beyond a certain size the 2nd place prize could pay the same as the jackpot, with something left over to put in the next drawing.

That might actually be a workable game.  Not having the enormous jackpot would eliminate the enormous sales that go with it,  but having a 1 in 5 million chance of winning 3 to 10 million might go a long way towards increasing sales for  prize totals in the  100 to 200 million range.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3324 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

i posted a similar idea and fact is the people who buy want massive jackpots, just look at the sales results, you want different  payout regimes ther eis 1 answer, stop buying nassive jackpot draws,.

but the lottery wont listen as  millions more will buying to negate your protest

" Still swinging, still missing "
                2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

NY
                  United States
                  Member #103217
                  December 31, 2010
                  96 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2011, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

It is hard for me to believe that more people won't buy lottery if the jackpot isn't stupendous. It may take some time to catch up once the change is made but here is what can really have a domino effect. When you have more winners, that means you will get to hear people from your county, city, area won. I think this will spur the sales. Lottery needs to stay put on more small winners per game than one mega million winner and I believe it will eventually catch up where many more will be willing to try their luck for a buck with the hope that it is much more plausible to win a million or two.

I like the idea of drawing multiple numbers, this way you can control how many winners you want depending upon the sales. Only issue I see with multiple numbers is, it will be difficult to check your numbers, unless everyone checks it with computer.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    20022 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2011, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

It is hard for me to believe that more people won't buy lottery if the jackpot isn't stupendous. It may take some time to catch up once the change is made but here is what can really have a domino effect. When you have more winners, that means you will get to hear people from your county, city, area won. I think this will spur the sales. Lottery needs to stay put on more small winners per game than one mega million winner and I believe it will eventually catch up where many more will be willing to try their luck for a buck with the hope that it is much more plausible to win a million or two.

I like the idea of drawing multiple numbers, this way you can control how many winners you want depending upon the sales. Only issue I see with multiple numbers is, it will be difficult to check your numbers, unless everyone checks it with computer.

NY has all kinds of lottery games with varying jackpot sizes and different odds of winning, check their website to see which games sell the most tickets.  If you are one of the players not playing those games with the better odds and smaller jackpots then you know why others are doing the same.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3324 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2011, 2:58 am - IP Logged

well  choice is always best, maybe i  just like to throw ideas around see what sticks.

maybe there could be an option, and players get to pick a box when they play

[] i want to share

[] i want it all.

maybe there could be 2 different games in the same draw, both contributing to the same pot, but offering different odds of wining. and a much greater likelyhood of sharing a massive jackpot prise if  you take the lower option asnd a much greater chance of wining it all  if you take the long odds?

i guess the feasability woyuld be why thake the long odds if people are going  share,  so the game runs on long odds till an amount is reached say 50 mill, then the option becomes to play on shorter odds, nothing would stop people taking the longer odds, but im betting the punters would all swap over en mass.

something like a in order drawn for 1-45 offers 1 in 8 mill in any order., and umm 1 in 6.4 billion to one for the long odds, so you could make a entry 1c a combo and make poeple pick 100 lines. min entry costing $1 for 1 in 64 mill odds.

maybe u toss it in as a side bet,. $1 as a drawn order jackpot costing 1c a line, so game plays as mormal, and  there are 2 jackpots that build a long and a short odds. watch as it takes for ever to buiild and the money pile on once the hjackpot reaches $1 billion.

like i say its just iddle talk , but i like this idea of 2 games played on same draw with separate jackpots accumulating.

i know its getting out of hand here. i cant even hit the 1 in 2.2 mill local game'

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        45037 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2011, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

well  choice is always best, maybe i  just like to throw ideas around see what sticks.

maybe there could be an option, and players get to pick a box when they play

[] i want to share

[] i want it all.

maybe there could be 2 different games in the same draw, both contributing to the same pot, but offering different odds of wining. and a much greater likelyhood of sharing a massive jackpot prise if  you take the lower option asnd a much greater chance of wining it all  if you take the long odds?

i guess the feasability woyuld be why thake the long odds if people are going  share,  so the game runs on long odds till an amount is reached say 50 mill, then the option becomes to play on shorter odds, nothing would stop people taking the longer odds, but im betting the punters would all swap over en mass.

something like a in order drawn for 1-45 offers 1 in 8 mill in any order., and umm 1 in 6.4 billion to one for the long odds, so you could make a entry 1c a combo and make poeple pick 100 lines. min entry costing $1 for 1 in 64 mill odds.

maybe u toss it in as a side bet,. $1 as a drawn order jackpot costing 1c a line, so game plays as mormal, and  there are 2 jackpots that build a long and a short odds. watch as it takes for ever to buiild and the money pile on once the hjackpot reaches $1 billion.

like i say its just iddle talk , but i like this idea of 2 games played on same draw with separate jackpots accumulating.

i know its getting out of hand here. i cant even hit the 1 in 2.2 mill local game'

lmao I picked I want it all.

America First ! US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10448 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2011, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

savagegoose,

I know you've toyed with this concept around a lot.

Re:the OP, I'm not sure how it could be done or if it could be done drawing one set of winning numbers, but if there was a 2nd Chance so to speak, another dollar buys a chance for the numbers you already have and a secind drawing for a lesser prize, that might be a start. Kind of like the occassional Illinois Pick 3 Green Ball Double Draw.

After the Pick 3 is drawn there's a separate bowl with white balls and one green ball., and one ball is drawn. If it's green, another set of numbers is drawn, if not, one white ball is eliminated. There's no extra buy-in for that though.

Someone mentioned raffles. I don't think it's quite the same as lotto considering a $1 million dollar prize awarded to four people who played $20 each for a ticket.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3324 Posts
                            Posted: February 1, 2011, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

lmao I picked I want it all.

hehehe yeah i think everyone would pick it.

seems theres a few people comment on wanting the pots to be shared around more but the games aint designed that way. the jackpots dfont happen if its easier to win. and if they canged the odds to play once the pot got higher why would anyone buy at  harder odds instead of just waiting for the better odds.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2011, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Perhaps a better way to do it would be something like PB's bonus pool. At some point money that would normally go to the jackpot would be put in the 2nd place prize pool instead. It could even be done in such a way that for jackpots beyond a certain size the 2nd place prize could pay the same as the jackpot, with something left over to put in the next drawing.

That might actually be a workable game.  Not having the enormous jackpot would eliminate the enormous sales that go with it,  but having a 1 in 5 million chance of winning 3 to 10 million might go a long way towards increasing sales for  prize totals in the  100 to 200 million range.

Then why not just have the second tier (all WB, miss the PB) pay like 2-3 million dollars?

Those are the same odds.