Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

VIRGINIA want to add 5% sale taxes to lottery

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 6 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
jump1900's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #48155
December 12, 2006
3277 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2011, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

this is crazy...Rant

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42204 Posts
    Posted: February 3, 2011, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Thats just wrong.

HyperBe Happy.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: February 3, 2011, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Isnt there already state taxes on higher claims?

megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
        Pocatello, Idaho
        United States
        Member #105619
        February 3, 2011
        59 Posts
        Posted: February 3, 2011, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

so you mean if someone wanted to buy a $1 ticket they better have a dollar and a nickel unless they want 95 cents in change? That is so wrong I don't know where to start.

increase's avatar - abstract design_main.jpg
          VA
          United States
          Member #54828
          August 31, 2007
          38314 Posts
          Posted: February 3, 2011, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Is this true? 

MegamanX, I would not know where to start either.

If that is true, VA Lottery is out of control!

I am a millionaire!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
            Northern Virginia
            United States
            Member #83350
            December 5, 2009
            1322 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2011, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I would not mind if VA Lottery taxes the sale of tickets if they simultaneously decide to stop taxing large jackpot prizes. That is the only way that I will find such a tax excusable.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10392 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2011, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

One of the LP members from Australia, maybe it was savagegoose, once mentioned that an Australian lottery ticket is $1.03 AUS and the $.03 takes care of the taxes for the winner (in a way, Australia does not tax gambling wins).

Sounds like a great way to go to me. But if Virginia wants a tax on both ends everyone should boycott the Virginia lottery until they coime to their senses.

The money the people play the lottery with has already been taxed!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2680 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2011, 9:40 am - IP Logged

One of the LP members from Australia, maybe it was savagegoose, once mentioned that an Australian lottery ticket is $1.03 AUS and the $.03 takes care of the taxes for the winner (in a way, Australia does not tax gambling wins).

Sounds like a great way to go to me. But if Virginia wants a tax on both ends everyone should boycott the Virginia lottery until they coime to their senses.

The money the people play the lottery with has already been taxed!

Lurking

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                  Norfolk , Va
                  United States
                  Member #4541
                  May 2, 2004
                  25187 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2011, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Like they don't have enough taxes .   The last one that I know of was a food tax if you eat out . That's on top of the other taxes for eating out.  Check out your receipt next time you eat in a restaurant in Va.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                    The Ville, FL
                    United States
                    Member #95879
                    August 19, 2010
                    1708 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2011, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I read this wrong during ths first post..Oops! SALES tax! wtf!

That is wrong

increase's avatar - abstract design_main.jpg
                      VA
                      United States
                      Member #54828
                      August 31, 2007
                      38314 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2011, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Like they don't have enough taxes .   The last one that I know of was a food tax if you eat out . That's on top of the other taxes for eating out.  Check out your receipt next time you eat in a restaurant in Va.

I found that out a few days ago. Totally crazy.

I am a millionaire!

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                        Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1848 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2011, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

This seems to be the only thing I can find on it:

"A Pittsylvania County supervisor wants to impose a sales tax on lottery tickets sold in the county. Staunton River Supervisor Marshall Ecker wants a 5-percent local sales tax levied on lottery tickets to bring in more revenue for the county. Pittsylvania County must find ways other than raising real estate and property tax rates to do so, Ecker said.

“I’m trying to think outside the box to generate funds,” Ecker said Thursday. Virginia law exempts lottery prizes and lottery ticket sales from state and local
                        taxation. Ecker wants the Board of Supervisors to pass a resolution and send it to state legislators asking for a change in the law to allow Pittsylvania County to impose the tax and keep those revenues in the county.

Jim Campbell, executive director of the Virginia Association of Counties, said, “Counties have no authority to establish another tax, unless authorized to do so by state code."

The county would be “swimming upstream” if it tried to change state law, Campbell said. The law would have to be changed twice — once to remove the exemption and again to give the county authority to impose the tax, Campbell said.

Campbell said he knows of no county that has tried to levy a tax on lottery ticket sales."

So basically, we're talking about one county trying to establish a tax?

There is something in the Mega-million and Powerball by-laws setting an upper limit on ticket prices. That caused the fail in Kansas.

The last part of the article says it is too late to get anything befor the General Assembly this year anyway. LKikely a lost cause any, since many residents would just drive to the next county.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                          Member #32537
                          February 12, 2006
                          698 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2011, 1:54 am - IP Logged

the idea so crazy, no state govt would do it

o wait

i see you guys, misunderstanded, its just a Total nobody , WHO has no power to tax sales tax

a govt loon, we have many............

however when your talking the dirt bag down the street govt,

such as city/Countie level, Retard level goes  Beyond any thing you can think of, or their the smartest people ever,  its always a xtreme , 

just see some local level govt group of idiots banning Kids Happy Meals,

cease they Don't like how Kids get toys with"unheathly" food, just like this idiotic , powerless, fool called a supervisor coming up with ideas for the "greater good"

tax people anyway you can to get their money in order to 'help" them, so they always target helpless victims, aka tax on beer,cigs, etc, sense its so Easy to kick something tobo or other bs thinking

am so sick of thugs and loon story's form smallest levels of govt,  i got some news for you all,   their a lot of crazy's, and sense must voters are crazy  in the head, they support tax's aka theft of other people money, they put thefts in office, and must of them are nuts

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: February 8, 2011, 2:47 am - IP Logged

I would not mind if VA Lottery taxes the sale of tickets if they simultaneously decide to stop taxing large jackpot prizes. That is the only way that I will find such a tax excusable.

In other words, you want the losers to pay the income tax for the winners?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10392 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

In other words, you want the losers to pay the income tax for the winners?

Isn't that exactly what Australia does by making each ticket $1.03 AUS and the winner pays no tax?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.