Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sucessfully staying quiet?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
megamanX's avatar - mega man_x_sprite-9629.jpg
Pocatello, Idaho
United States
Member #105619
February 3, 2011
59 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2011, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

After all the posts on this subject, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to finally realize that.

It's about a "dollar and a dream" right? Part of the dreaming about winning big for a lot of people is planning how to keep the dream from turning into a nightmare. Remaining anon, if possible in your state, is a good way to keep scam artists and gold diggers from finding you. They might still find you eventually but that should keep most of them away.

Ohio
    United States
    Member #106208
    February 14, 2011
    41 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2011, 2:28 am - IP Logged

impossible for most. unless you could claim in trust and disappear and never speak to anyone about your money..

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6305 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2011, 10:32 am - IP Logged

There are some Jackpot winners that want to be known they want the attention and the notoriety.....unfortunately it will be very hard stay anonymous because like someone stated someone in your family will know and tell their friends.........my hubby comes from a large family he said he was going to tell his family that he got a settlement whether they believe it or not that's on them but that's our story and we are sticking to it...LOL.....Wink

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51060 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2011, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

After all the posts on this subject, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to finally realize that.

Quite often the Winners don't Play on a regular basis: They buy a ticket on a whim while they are in a store buying something else.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

luckyshoes's avatar - nw lady.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #79502
          September 2, 2009
          6446 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2011, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Im going to say that even if you could keep it quiet, it  would be the one you trusted to not say anything letting the cat out of the bag. lol  Gotta go with Tiggs- I welcome the chance to try  !

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2011, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes You Just have to Ask Yourself: Why are so many Non-Jackpot Lottery Winners so preocupied with anonymously claiming a prize that they will never Win in an entire Life of Lottery Playing! Thud

I've been saying this since I joined LP.

About every 2 months someone comes here asking the same question. I said it before and I'll say it again. 99.9% of people who play for a JP will never win in their lifetime.

So my suggestion is to first worry about beating the astronomical odds.......Disapprove

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
              Denver, Co
              United States
              Member #103046
              December 29, 2010
              546 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2011, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I've been saying this since I joined LP.

About every 2 months someone comes here asking the same question. I said it before and I'll say it again. 99.9% of people who play for a JP will never win in their lifetime.

So my suggestion is to first worry about beating the astronomical odds.......Disapprove

"So my suggestion is to first worry about beating the astronomical odds.......Disapprove"

Yep, already worrying about that day after day after day.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                41978 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2011, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I think the biggest problem with instant wealth is how a person handles themselves and who they chose to associate with.

I know someone who won a jackpot 20 years ago and they never had a problem, except with their own kids.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2011, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I think the biggest problem with instant wealth is how a person handles themselves and who they chose to associate with.

I know someone who won a jackpot 20 years ago and they never had a problem, except with their own kids.

I too have a friend at work who won the JP over 20 years ago. he's 72 years old now. Actually it was his wife who bought the tickets. Back then, annuity was the only choice and it ended a few years ago. the ticket was worth 1.3 million...

He did have one problem, but not related to this topic. I don't remember the details, but I believe one of his yearly payments was given without taxes being taken out. I guess someone screwed up and my co-worker didn't say anything. So ever since he's been walking on eggshells wondering when they're going to realize this....

I told him that personally, i would've contacted the IRS or whoever was responsible for the mistake because i couldn't live the rest of my life in anticipation of receiving a letter in the mail telling me I owe so and so...He agreed.....

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2011, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

While it's true that most players will never win a jackpot statistically over 50% of jackpot winners are bankrupt within five years (that stat must be for those who opt for cash).

I'm wondering if that stat would be different if more people did think a little bit in advance of what they would do if they win a jackpopt.

I remember reading about one winner who said he had bought multiple houses and cars and jewellery and other things all the while telling himself, "Hey, I've got millions." Then he said, "And then one day I didn't anymore."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2011, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

I too have a friend at work who won the JP over 20 years ago. he's 72 years old now. Actually it was his wife who bought the tickets. Back then, annuity was the only choice and it ended a few years ago. the ticket was worth 1.3 million...

He did have one problem, but not related to this topic. I don't remember the details, but I believe one of his yearly payments was given without taxes being taken out. I guess someone screwed up and my co-worker didn't say anything. So ever since he's been walking on eggshells wondering when they're going to realize this....

I told him that personally, i would've contacted the IRS or whoever was responsible for the mistake because i couldn't live the rest of my life in anticipation of receiving a letter in the mail telling me I owe so and so...He agreed.....

If you only knew the IRS can only go back 3 years! As long as no other years before or now show any fraud in their filings! And since the money wasn't withheld at the time of disbursement to no fault of their own the 3 year limitation for an audit for that year will hold up in a court of law! The IRS is SOL and if you have any doubts just as your accountant or the IRS if you like!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2011, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Now wouldn't that show up in the tax return? Or did he do tax fraud?

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2011, 6:58 am - IP Logged

If you only knew the IRS can only go back 3 years! As long as no other years before or now show any fraud in their filings! And since the money wasn't withheld at the time of disbursement to no fault of their own the 3 year limitation for an audit for that year will hold up in a court of law! The IRS is SOL and if you have any doubts just as your accountant or the IRS if you like!

That's good to know. I'll tell him this. Thanx for the heads up.

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2011, 6:59 am - IP Logged

Now wouldn't that show up in the tax return? Or did he do tax fraud?

Good question. I doubt he was involved in any kind of tax frog, but you never know....

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              51060 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2011, 7:42 am - IP Logged

Good question. I doubt he was involved in any kind of tax frog, but you never know....

The proceeds from the Annuity should have been declared as Income or didn't they supply a 1099-G?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!