Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it true...?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2011, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

A group of mathematicians and other scientists already tried to crack the lottery, particularly MegaMillions.

If I remember correctly, they failed. Spectacularly. I believe the story mostly, but I want to confirm if any of you guys heard about this story.

Those self-proclaimed American patriots are nothing but ignorant xenophobic jingoists. A real patriot is a conversationalist, not a pitbull.

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2011, 1:04 am - IP Logged

While I am unfamilar with the story of which you speak, I have no doubt that mathematicians and their like failed to crack the lottery.  The lottery is as random as random comes.  To crack it will require imagination and research.  Mathematicians do not have imaginations nor do they have the staying power to do research.  They expect results within days if not weeks.

We, on the other hand, being totally insane, will strive to find an algorithym that works at least once a year ( for the JP games) or once a week (for the p3 games).  We will not need elaborate proofs nor will we need to be published in scientific journals.  All we need is that one algorithym that turns us into winners.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8395 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2011, 2:35 am - IP Logged

A group of mathematicians and other scientists already tried to crack the lottery, particularly MegaMillions.

If I remember correctly, they failed. Spectacularly. I believe the story mostly, but I want to confirm if any of you guys heard about this story.

the story is a group of people attempted to purchase every line but their attempt was halted by the Virginia lottery.

Another group of NASA scientist claimed they used a computer program to win, i forget how many tickets they bought.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2011, 3:30 am - IP Logged

To cover every line wouldnt you have to pay the amount the odds are (in which case you'd be spending almost $200 million)?

As for the story, I never heard about it, though seeing as how the lottery isn't "crackable" it's believeable. There's no system in 6 balls being chosen by complete randomness. Any "system" someone uses is as good as mine... buy some tickets and hope your numbers match.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2011, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

To cover every line wouldnt you have to pay the amount the odds are (in which case you'd be spending almost $200 million)?

As for the story, I never heard about it, though seeing as how the lottery isn't "crackable" it's believeable. There's no system in 6 balls being chosen by complete randomness. Any "system" someone uses is as good as mine... buy some tickets and hope your numbers match.

I did the math on this before to see how long it would take & even if it was possible.

If I remember correctly, even if soemone wanted to play every combo there was, that person wouldnt have enough time to play all of the combinations between draws. There is just too many.

Then again, a group of people could have a strategic plan to make it happen. Even then, obviously there would be no profit

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3501 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2011, 3:07 am - IP Logged

"To cover every line wouldnt you have to pay the amount the odds are (in which case you'd be spending almost $200 million)?"

Yes, you'd need to buy every combination, which is the same as the odds. The incident mentioned happend many years ago in VA (IIRC), and was for a state game that had odds that are much lower than today's big jackpot games. It wasn't tremendously unusual for those games to build up to the point that the cash payout substantially exceeded the odds. I forget the details, but that group may have needed to cover about 6 million combinations and the jackpot was considerably more than that. I'll also note that about 50% of the ticket cost goes to prizes, so you can expect to win that back on such a large bet. That makes the actual cost to buy all 6 milion tickets a mere $3 million, assuming nobody else shares the jackpot.

Again, going on memory, they only covered  about 80 to 90% of the combinations, but won. Somebody else also won, so their jackpot was halved, but they turned a modest profit.

As a practical matter, with higher odds and new rules that strategy is impossible to implement today, but  even if it was possible it's not the sure thing it might sound like. If the jackpot is that big the chance of a 2nd winner is reasonably high, and there's a small chance that 3 to 4 winners would result in a loss. The other "problem" is that such a scheme usually requires a very large group of people. Doubling an investment of 50 to 100k is obviously nice, but if you've got that much to risk the win isn't going to make a huge difference in your lfe.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19902 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2011, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

"To cover every line wouldnt you have to pay the amount the odds are (in which case you'd be spending almost $200 million)?"

Yes, you'd need to buy every combination, which is the same as the odds. The incident mentioned happend many years ago in VA (IIRC), and was for a state game that had odds that are much lower than today's big jackpot games. It wasn't tremendously unusual for those games to build up to the point that the cash payout substantially exceeded the odds. I forget the details, but that group may have needed to cover about 6 million combinations and the jackpot was considerably more than that. I'll also note that about 50% of the ticket cost goes to prizes, so you can expect to win that back on such a large bet. That makes the actual cost to buy all 6 milion tickets a mere $3 million, assuming nobody else shares the jackpot.

Again, going on memory, they only covered  about 80 to 90% of the combinations, but won. Somebody else also won, so their jackpot was halved, but they turned a modest profit.

As a practical matter, with higher odds and new rules that strategy is impossible to implement today, but  even if it was possible it's not the sure thing it might sound like. If the jackpot is that big the chance of a 2nd winner is reasonably high, and there's a small chance that 3 to 4 winners would result in a loss. The other "problem" is that such a scheme usually requires a very large group of people. Doubling an investment of 50 to 100k is obviously nice, but if you've got that much to risk the win isn't going to make a huge difference in your lfe.

That happened back in 1992 when Virgina had a 6/44 state game.  Afterward Virgina changed its rules so that couldn't happen again.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE0D61439F936A15751C0A964958260&sec=&spon=&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking